1. OCAU Merchandise is available! Check out our 20th Anniversary Mugs, Classic Logo Shirts and much more! Discussion in this thread.
    Dismiss Notice

IBM JX, happy 30th birthday my first PC

Discussion in 'Retro & Arcade' started by Bullus, Oct 31, 2014.

1. OP
    OP
    Bullus

Bullus Member

So just started a channel for the new build I have planned and figured good way to test my new cameras and mic was to re-shoot the video I posted earlier in the thread

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gHzuBPpdr2M

edit : Finally worked out what I was doing wrong with youtube embedding

Last edited: Feb 23, 2016
  2. Joudan

Joudan Member

Sorry to bump an old thread, but I need your help with JX stuff please! Sent you a PM.

3. Spearchucka

Spearchucka Member

Don't be afraid to post a problem here or better yet start a new thread with your query in the title

Joudan likes this.
  4. Joudan

Joudan Member

Well, it's not really a problem per se... I'm just wondering if the OP would be willing to lend me his MS-DOS 3.2.1 boot disk so that I can backup the data, since it isn't online anywhere and I'm probably getting a JX soon.

5. Flamin Joe

Flamin Joe Member

I assume you mean PC-DOS not MS-DOS, because MS-DOS 3.2.1 is readily available even on my website.

I must admit I don't know much about the IBM JX but doing a little searching of the PC-DOS versions I see IBM JX support was added to 3.2.1 which I assume is why you need it. But that begs the question, wouldn't 3.30 or above also be suitable? You can get PC-DOS 3.30 here: https://winworldpc.com/product/pc-dos/3x

6. SLIMaxPower

SLIMaxPower Member

games... phhtt. Basic and Turbo Pascal for me....

macplus likes this.
  7. Joudan

Joudan Member

Chances are those would work fine, but I'm somewhat of an amateur preservationist and would very much like to see the original software preserved and available for others. Additionally, there isn't really any way of knowing the contents of the disk and if they differ from other versions of DOS until somebody takes a look.

Thanks for the heads up anyway! I'll try your MS-DOS 3.2.1 and PC-DOS 3.30 when my JX arrives, as I have a feeling OP isn't going to respond for a while...

8. Flamin Joe

Flamin Joe Member

No problem I fully understand as that's one of the aims of my website. :thumbup: The majority of the content on my site (photos, documentation, floppy images) was directly sourced by myself to help preserve it as none of this exists elsewhere on the net.

Just a note on the version I have, it's what was shipped with the Atari PC so it has their "customisations". But by that I mean it includes an Atari Mouse driver plus documentation as the rest is 100% MS-DOS 3.2.1. You can download the un-customised version from the same site I listed earlier: https://winworldpc.com/product/ms-dos/321

Joudan likes this.
  9. Joudan

Joudan Member

Sweet! We're kind of derailing the original thread a bit, but I've got another MS-DOS version for you - Toshiba Japanese MS-DOS 3.10. I managed to track down the original disks a few years ago after finding a Toshiba J-3100 GT041 286 laptop, I'll upload them for you at some point.

Flamin Joe likes this.
  10. Flamin Joe

Flamin Joe Member

Just a little misunderstanding I think but the winworldpc.com isn't my site. Sorry I should of made it clear it's the Atari website in my signature. :)