IBM To Buy Red Hat For $34 Billion

Discussion in 'Other Operating Systems' started by Perko, Oct 29, 2018.

1. Perko

Perko Member

https://www.theregister.co.uk/2018/10/28/ibm_redhat_acquisition/

Offered $190 a share.
    Not sure how the Red Hat people will feel when they're given a standard issue Macbook.

How do people feel about this? I reckon there'll be a whole lot of gnashing of teeth from the hard liners, but surely this has to be good for Linux's business profile. Will there be any implications for CentOS and other Red Hat based distros?

2. waltermitty

waltermitty Member

Big Blue buys Big Red
    Red's dead, baby
    CVE in systemd-networking DHCPv6 client, news at 11

3. elvis

elvis Old school old fool

Why do people think that corporate buyouts are always some sort of invasion?

I've been on that roundabout 3 times before, and never was there that "hard line from the parent company" situation. In all cases it was "hey, you guys are doing awesome, just keep doing what you're doing".

IBM and RedHat have been close business partners forever. Linux on Z is all RHEL, and I've lost count of the number of places I've used RedHat on IBM gear, or in partnership with IBM services. And I genuinely can't see any sort of stupid "It's IBM or nothing" type restrictions if you just want to buy RHEL subscriptions and slap them on your own hardware (because neither IBM nor RedHat have a history of that sort of exclusion in business in the last 20 years).

And let's not forget that Oracle and IBM were both considering the buy. So IBM winning that race is a win for everyone, considering the alternative.

Anyone gnashing their teeth over it at this stage is knee jerking. Change is inevitable, as was some larger buyout.

And as I've said elsewhere, I've been approached by RedHat twice to go work for them, and in both cases the money on offer was terrible. This can only mean good things for the company if they're out to recruit more people (which they'll need in order to grow at the sorts of scales they want to).

colmaz, 2SHY and Perko like this.
  4. Quadbox

Quadbox Member

Both companies have a very strong history of serious contributions to opensource projects, so from the opensource perspective this is probably quite promising.

elvis likes this.
  5. elvis

Man, could you imagine if Microsoft was a part of that bidding war. That would have worked some folks up. :lol:

6. OP
    OP
    Perko

Perko Member

I dunno that they "heart" it that much. :D

It's interesting though, would Microsoft have been a poorer outcome than Oracle in your view?

My line about the MacBooks was bait btw - you took it.

7. elvis

As I've said in other rants, Microsoft of today is not Microsoft of 25 years ago. The same goes for Oracle.

In my not so humble opinion, Microsoft of today is a better choice than Oracle of today for an open source company. But IBM is better than both.

I figured it was, but my response wasn't to you. The various Internet platforms all over the place today have been full of people assuming that corporate takeovers result in overnight change, typically for the worse. My response was attempting to snuff that fire in this forum before it turned into a blazing inferno of poor assumption.

8. GumbyNoTalent

GumbyNoTalent Member

BNE Redhat layed of 48 people last week 3 days before announcement, and was part of a worldwide culling.

And SUSE.

MS are in bed with Suse.
    https://www.suse.com/partners/alliance/microsoft/

MS are also in bed with Redhat, however because of the SAP/Suse ties have been stronger ties with Suse.

Last edited: Oct 29, 2018
  9. elvis

Well, now I'm even more glad I didn't take a job there outside of the pay. :)

FWIW I do know a few folk who took work there, and the better ones got shipped off to the US some years back. From what I understand, the Brisbane team was mostly the translations team, with most of that work going to the much larger Singapore office.

10. GumbyNoTalent

GumbyNoTalent Member

Yeah from what I understand they are still looking for tech people to build the tech team and was non-tech staff that got laid off.

11. connico

connico Member

Because from experience, its more like

"Hey, you guys are doing awesome, just make more money with less people. Also the culture of the company is changing"

mAJORD likes this.
  12. cvidler

cvidler Member

I'd be more concerned about the change in company wardrobe colour scheme. hello Black Hat?

13. GumbyNoTalent

GumbyNoTalent Member

14. cvidler

cvidler Member

15. elvis

I saw the gag somewhere about "Red Hat + Big Blue = Big Purple Hat?".

I chuckled, because I'm an idiot.

180px-Waluigi.png

16. elvis

rh.jpg

tree86ers and Perko like this.
  17. GumbyNoTalent

GumbyNoTalent Member

Hat or Helmet? ;)

elvis likes this.