IBM to sell X-Series Server business to Lenovo

Discussion in 'Business & Enterprise Computing' started by QuakeDude, Feb 3, 2014.

1. QuakeDude

QuakeDude ooooh weeee ooooh

So.. for anyone who has an interest here, this isn't exactly a surprise.. its been rumoured for a while, however its now official:

http://www-03.ibm.com/press/us/en/pressrelease/43016.wss

Honestly, I don't know if this is a good thing or a bad thing. Can't get much worse in terms of support (hopefully!)

2. NSanity

NSanity Member

completely expected (how it didn't happen when the think desktop/laptop lines went - i don't know), and it can't get any worse for the SMB end of town...

3. OP
    OP
    QuakeDude

Well, look.. Lenovo does a good job with Desktops / laptops, but server support is a little more serious. IBM basically gave up on server support in the end.. how a company that size with that much experience can let support get that bad.. it amazes me. We even had the IBM support manager in here to explain why they've let us down.. and, well, to be honest, he didn't look all that concerned :lol:

Hope Lenovo can do something good with it, but its a little frustrating to see that IBM doesn't consider servers as part of their new direction in "enterprise".

4. NSanity

NSanity Member

In a Cloudy Future, Server hardware is a wholesale commodity.

Getting out of the < 500 units game is probably a great idea.

5. OP
    OP
    QuakeDude

Shame they never charged that way lol

IBM Server: $22k.
    Dell Server: $13K

Yeah, I can see why the business didn't work out :lol:;)

6. Iceman

Iceman Member

And they still have 28% of the market to dell's 16.. just saying.

7. ricky60

ricky60 Member

So what are IBM going to do now? Just software and IT Support for banks etc, and PowerPC based servers?

Gone are they days of "Noone ever got fired for buying IBM". Just ask Qld Health...

8. ricky60

ricky60 Member

I'd like to see the Australian figures. I think that Dell would be a lot higher than that.

9. FiShy

FiShy Member

I dont know my new lenovo work lappy is simply the worst lappy i have ever owned.

10. ricky60

ricky60 Member

They're not *that* bad. They just have AWFUL touchpads which really let them down from a mobile point of view.

11. NSanity

NSanity Member

I haven't found a reason to replace my t430

12. FiShy

FiShy Member

Mine falling apart after a few months... my old HP lasted 4 years of pure punishment while being in better shape.

13. ricky60

ricky60 Member

Wow, is it an Ideapad, or a Thinkpad? S series and Ideapads are pure rubbish. E's are ok. T's are pretty good. All have rubbish touchpads.

14. Iron_Horse

Iron_Horse Member

I like the T and W series.
    I don't mind the touchpads personally.

Those that say IBM tech support is bad?! I've had excellent run with them compared to that of HP or Dell.

15. OP
    OP
    QuakeDude

IBM do more servers though than just the X-series - where did you get that figure from? I can't find it anywhere.

16. Munity

Munity Member

as far as im aware they only sold the x-server business to lenovo, and not their i/e or z business. that number would HAVE to include i/e/z series and IBM still own that.

I would dare say apples for apples ibm x series would have a much lower market share then dell's x-series equivalent machines.

17. Iceman

Iceman Member

I don't know what you're googling but "ibm server market share" and this is the top link:

http://www.forbes.com/sites/chuckjones/2013/08/29/ibm-regains-1-server-market-share-position/

Based on data from IDC

http://www.idc.com/getdoc.jsp?containerId=prUS24285213

It's analyzing the vendors server market share as whole. So yes it does include the other IBM lines, but it also includes HP's etc. If you can find someone breaking down the numbers, post it.

The problem is, since they're all "servers" - where do you draw the line? Non x86? Non rackmount? Pizza boxes and blade form factor only? Each vendor would suffer if you were to consider only their market share of one particular product line.

18. OP
    OP
    QuakeDude

It doesn't break it down by numbers as such, but does state "for system x and power systems" which are two completely different beasts. The power systems (and we have numerous) run AS/400 and the i Series environment, so I wouldn't put them in the same class as xSeries.

19. IACSecurity

IACSecurity Member

pseries aren't high volume, just high cost/margin. So with a 28% total market, its safe to assume they are still >20% without pseries included.

Meanwhile, ignoring the desktop/laptop stuff. Getting out of the pizzabox market is a good move. Not that IBM are short of cash, but they can use the additional $b to invest in their next move.

Smart move, just as dumping the thinkpad business several years ago was also a smart move, when you look at the market in general, they got out at the right time.

Likewise getting out of the HDD business when they did was also good (though a few years early). SUrprised however they didn't get into the flash/SSD market for a few years at leas tthough.

Last edited: Feb 4, 2014
  20. millsy_c

millsy_c Member

Hah. We ordered 10 top spec W510's a while ago, and overall the company I'm at would have at least 3000 thinkpads kicking around, so we're not exactly super small fish.

Anyway, there was a *minor* issue with the usb3 ports which resulted in the machine instantly blue screening when you plugged a charge only device (or something like a HTC phone which defaults to charge only unless you change the setting).

Anyway after about 8 months of back and forward with Lenovo on this, and many many reinstalls of windows and drivers to try and work out a fix, they sent a technician up to us to effectively try and blame us for it and absolve them of responsibility, which we promptly called them on and asked them to leave if they had no intention of helping.

Their eventual offer was to buy back the machines for 800 each if we bought another 10 W530's. Which obviously wasn't going to happen. Sigh.