1. OCAU Merchandise is available! Check out our 20th Anniversary Mugs, Classic Logo Shirts and much more! Discussion in this thread.
    Dismiss Notice

IBM to sell X-Series Server business to Lenovo

Discussion in 'Business & Enterprise Computing' started by QuakeDude, Feb 3, 2014.

1. GreenBeret

GreenBeret Member

We stopped buying Lenovo laptops (still on offer, but we discourage people from buying them) when they started shipping each laptop in 20 different boxes over 3-4 weeks period, often missing a few parts here & there. Getting onsite hardware replacement & support is also nearly impossible.

IBM also have been shipping servers to us like that in the last couple of years until we had enough and stopped buying their shit too. IBM server support has gone downhill for a while and they stopped giving a fuck a couple of years ago.

Used to buy them in spite of much better pricing from Dell because the service & support were top quality.

2. OP
    OP
    QuakeDude

QuakeDude ooooh weeee ooooh

They outsourced the X series support some time back - I think that was the first sign of a lack of interest in that part of the business (for me at least).

3. silenthunter

silenthunter Member

IBM have only sold their x86 based server business think x-series kit, including the new flex stack they only released 18 months ago. IBM will maintain their Z and P series lines, all the big AIX and mainframe-esque stuff still used heavily by big enterprise for mission critical workloads..

This is either smart or dumb :). Its smart, if as others have stated x86 hardware is now a commodity used as disposable compute for cloud providers and more and more unlikely to be used directly by end consumers on a large scale. This is the same decision process that sent the PC business to Lenovo, who I believe have done a great job with it.

It could however be dumb, if Ginny and the IBM board are simply in relentless pursuit of short term profit, in 2011 they set a target of $20 earnings per share by 2015, this is a target they are struggling to meet and the huge offload of employees they are currently undertaking through Project Mercury shows that. I worry that this sale isn't a strategic one and is simply a move of desperation.

But of course, only time will tell. IBM have managed to reinvent themselves many times over the last 100 years so we shouldn't assume they can't do the same again as they move further and further into a services only business.

On a side note, didn't Lenovo already spend all their cash on hand on the Motorola deal? Seriously big month of spending for them!

4. drrevenge

drrevenge Member

Knowing quite a few guys who do system x support for IBM, I can tell you that it's not all outsourced.

5. OP
    OP
    QuakeDude

QuakeDude ooooh weeee ooooh

Well, the IBM Support manager who came in here to explain to us why support was so bad for the last two incidence said that they do support through a 3rd party now. I know they have pockets of customer specific support groups in IBM - do your guys happen to work for one of those?

6. drrevenge

drrevenge Member

No, the guys I know do the remote technical support for australia and new zealand for all customers, not just customer specific ones.

Can't talk about the onsite stuff though.