1. Two recommended ways to protect your account on OCAU:
    Dismiss Notice

Ice cream maker

Discussion in 'Geek Food' started by caspian, Jun 7, 2015.

1. caspian

caspian Member

thinking of buying an ice cream maker to stop the wife licking the TV screen every time Masterchef does a desert challenge. I just threw out a cheap freezer bowl version which was rubbish - it just didn't hold the cold very well, and took up a huge chunk of valuable freezer space.

the Breville Smart Scoop seems to tick all my boxes - compressor, cold-hold at finish, stainless casing, and I can get one for $350. the only real competition seems to be the Cuisinart which is more expensive and I don't have any experience with the brand.

my concerns are that it's only a 1L compartment (probably adequate for 2 people, but how much allowance do you need to make to stop spillage during churning) and that it's pretty big.

anyone have any wisdom to share with a Smart Scoop, or alternatives?

2. broccoli

broccoli Member

I have a cuisinart ice cream mixer, but you have to freeze the bowl first. I'm happy with it. It's straightforward, there's not a lot to it, so there's nothing to really criticize. You freeze the bowl, you add your mixture and the paddle, it mixes it up.

3. Quadbox

Quadbox Member

My sister's got the breville and has been very happy with it. Sees a lot of use.

I havent used it personally though

4. bl4ck32

bl4ck32 Member

get a commercial one and make extra to sell to help pay the $ outlay....

forever in triple choc heaven. :D

5. Quadbox

Quadbox Member

That's actually not an all that out there suggestion, Nisbets does sell a commercial one for $332exgst (so $360)

6. looktall

looktall Working Class Doughnut

i haven't used cuisinart brands myself, but i believe they're a quality brand.

check the specs on the cuisinart ice cream maker because the one i'm looking at is 1.5L.
    might help justify the extra cost?

7. OP
    OP
    caspian

caspian Member

that Buffalo one seems to read well, thanks Quadbox.

looktall - the compressor Cuisinart one is indeed 1.5L, I suppose I'm more interested in whether the thing is going to fail 5 minutes after the warranty expires. at the prices involved it's doubtful it would be worth fixing any serious malfunction, so I'd prefer to pay a little more for something that will give 4-5 years consumer grade service.

between this and the handbrake wanting a sous vide machine I need a bigger kitchen. :(

Last edited: Jun 8, 2015
  8. looktall

it has a 3 year warranty, the breville has a 2 year warranty, the buffalo has a 1 year warranty.

no idea what that covers though.

9. OP
    OP
    caspian

caspian Member

cheers, I'll have a good look at the Cusinart. I have a Myer voucher that I got as a work prize and their online catalogue says they stock them. :thumbup:

10. broccoli

broccoli Member

Don't go with Breville then, they are lying scum-sucking scum when it comes to warranties.

Cuisinart may be relatively new here, but it's been around for ages. http://www.cuisinart.com/about.html Says on here they are now part of conair. They should be able to make a decent compressor.

11. NSanity

NSanity Member

iirc amphibius did a comparison of how they work and when things change at what price point a few years back.

But ultimately, if you're looking at the models that are just "freeze a bowl, then use a wand to gently agitate the cream" - they all work the same and just buy what ever is cheapest.

The second you start actively cooling it, things change pretty quickly.

Is Dry Ice/LN2 an optionf for you?

12. looktall

Did guy read what he wrote in the op?
    He's buying a compressor based ice cream maker.

13. OldnBold

OldnBold Member

That is not a Cuisinart :thumbup:

14. looktall

15. OP
    OP
    caspian

caspian Member

yeah, I found that thread. decided it would be OK to raise the topic again as I think it was ~18 months old.

my big objection to the freeze-the-bowl jobs is the sheer amount of freezer space they absorb. from the video of Heston flogging the Breville even on max cold setting it appears that the product still needs a good couple of hours post-churn freezing to set up fully for a hard texture. that means freezing the bowl Monday to make on Tuesday to consume on Wednesday. :( that's OK if budget is an issue - the one I just tossed out cost a whole $8. :wired:

unfortunately I can't see DICE or LNO2 being viable for a quick batch of sorbet, and the replay of bloody Masterchef from last night yet again had sorbet featured so it looks like I'm buying an appliance one way or the other!

@looktall - yes, that's my main comparison unit. Myer also sells them so it looks like a real contender, especially with the superior warranty. the cold-hold is not as long but since we'll be there to unload the finished product straight into the freezer, I don't think that is a big factor.

I think we'll be doing a hands-on this weekend for a better look.

16. oinkoink

oinkoink Member

I have the Breville smart scoop and it's great. Sure it only makes a litre at a time but that just means you can get away with having a bigger variety of flavours in your freezer at any given time :)

The instruction manual comes with a bunch of recipes and if you make a couple of these it will give you an indication of what the fill limit of custard is.

If you like sorbet or semifreddo consistencies, you will not need to allow for additional freezing time after churning - you'll be able to eat it immediately. However if you like firm ice cream then you will need to freeze it for a bit post churn.

17. cevad

cevad Member

Wife and I bought a Russell Hobbs RHIC100 from Catch of the Day for $239 almost a year ago, and we use it every week or so. It makes up to 1.5l icecream, up to 1l of yoghurt or 110 ice cubes (never made the ice cubes yet), it has a compressor, so you dont have to worry about putting the bowl in the freezer.

We mostly just make vanilla ice cream and vanilla yoghurt, but have in the past done strawberry icecream, strawberry sorbet and lemon sorbet.

We don't have much room in our freezer, which is why we avoided getting one where you have to freeze the bowl.

Probably the only thing regrettable about the purchase is that I need to control how much ice cream I eat :lol: