Ice Lake / Sunny Cove Discussion

Discussion in 'Intel x86 CPUs and chipsets' started by chainbolt, Mar 1, 2019.

1. chainbolt

chainbolt Member

It looks like the next Intel mainstream consumer CPU family (Ice Lake) based on a brand new core architecture (Sunny Cove) is around the corner. Leaked documents from Lenovo and other manufacturers show that the Y and U variants of Ice Lake for laptops will be available in June. It looks like the desktop variants will come after that.

Ice Lake Might Arrive in June, According to Leaked Lenovo Documents

The Sunny Cove core architecture (on which Ice Lakes CPUs are based) is Intel first major architecture upgrade since Skylake was introduced in 2015.

I hope it does not take too long, I am itching to upgrade my system.

ayles likes this.
  2. ayles

ayles Member

10900k, new $1000 mobo, new $1000 ram, but extra 4% fps. My poor wallet.

3. OP
    OP
    chainbolt

chainbolt Member

New mobo for sure. But why new RAM?

4. darkbastard

darkbastard Member

His system appears to be based on a 2500k - so DDR3

5. ayles

ayles Member

Sorry, I was taking the piss about Intel's constant need to swap chipset.

TBH I will likely upgrade, bf5 has broken the 2500k after all these years. All 4 cores pinned to 100% usage with the 1070 hovering around 70-80%. Ultrawide 144hz here we go.

I am hopeful zen 3 delivers the IPC but highly likely 10th gen will smash it.

I'd love low core count high clock/ipc model. Perhaps 10700k 8/8 or 6/12 that clocks like a mofo with HT disabled. I just don't need multicore hence the 2500k lasting so long. I just office and game.

6. OP
    OP
    chainbolt

chainbolt Member

Indeed, to upgrade within the Intel environment it means new CPU + new mobo, and that's costly. I skipped the 9th generation for this reason. For 2 years, I have been running an i5 8700K aircooled, without any effort, at 5000 MHz. But now I am itching to upgrade - if Ice Lake / Sandy Cove offer tangible performance + feature improvements.

7. TheWatcher

TheWatcher Member

Are you also considering Ryzen 2?

8. OJR

OJR Member

Nah, Chainbolt has been using Intel for decades. Always has, always will.

chainbolt likes this.
  9. PersianImmortal

PersianImmortal Member

I recently upgraded from a 10 year old X58 platform to a 9700K and frankly the most noticeable difference came from switching from a standard SSD to an NVMe SSD!

I really can't see any significant CPU bottlenecks on most systems, especially ones running CPUs from the last few years. So I have to wonder what Intel could do in terms of performance or new features to get people off already decent CPUs like the 8700K/9700K or 2700X. I can't imagine anyone going from a ~5GHz 8700K to any new CPU feeling any difference in any games.

As we discussed in the video cards forum, about the only thing I could conceive being of some popularity would be if Intel (a) significantly beefed up their IGP, and then (b) found some way to bridge it with the main system GPU so that it works as a GPU co-processor. This would increase their sales to enthusiasts and non-enthusiasts alike.

But given they're having to drop the IGP on the new KF chips just to meet the demand, I doubt they would be looking to make their chip manufacturing process even more complex by doing something like this right now.

chainbolt likes this.
  10. mAJORD

mAJORD Member

Doubt you'll be seeing Sunny Cove for a while on the high end desktop - not with Comet lake coming out in a couple months or whenever. (on 14nm). After hitting the notebook market , maybe early 2020 on 10++?

11. OP
    OP
    chainbolt

chainbolt Member

Well, it seems indeed Ice Lake / Sunny Cove for desktops will not be around before the end of the year.

I decided therefor in order to max out my RTX280ti to upgrade my Z270+I5 7600K to Z390+9700K. Running the CPUs at 5000 Mhz, I get in 3DMark TimeSpy a score of around 11,000 versus 13,500. And my favorite game runs in 4K + ultra settings with around 90 fps versus 70. Of course one can say the investment for a 9700K + Z390 board is not worth the 15% to 20% better gaming performance. But the difference is still there.

The 9700K is by the way an incredible powerful CPU and it overclocks like hell.

12. PersianImmortal

PersianImmortal Member

It does, unless you run on it basic air like me, where it maxes out at 4.9GHz ;) I don't mind of course, I love the fact that it's dead quiet.

I'm actually very surprised that you got almost 15%+ FPS improvement at 4K just from the platform change! What particular game is this? I imagine you did a clean install of Windows that may have boosted your performance; also, possibly the Spectre and Meltdown mitigation patches, some of which aren't necessary for the 9700K, were dragging down your performance on the 7600k.

13. OJR

OJR Member

Specially at 4K... The CPU would be doing nothing.

14. OP
    OP
    chainbolt

chainbolt Member

The Game is "War Thunder". 15%+ FPS were refering to running it at 4K and highest possible graphic settings.

After weeks of trying I got my 9700K sample 100% stable at 5K on AIO - which comes to them same like high end aircooling.

15. OP
    OP
    chainbolt

chainbolt Member

Not according to my observation. In both, "Timespy" as well as my favorite game, I get a noticeable difference when running them with a 2080ti on 9700K/Z370 vs. 7600K/Z270 at 5 GHz. "Noticeable" means in terms of recorded FPS, anything above 100 fps you anyway don't "feel" anymore.

16. RnR

RnR Member

A leak has been made... take salt as needed...

https://www.techspot.com/news/79820-leaked-intel-roadmap-shows-10nm-desktop-cpus-wont.html

hvalac likes this.
  17. mAJORD

mAJORD Member

Take about a year off those dstes though, that's the SIPP roadmap. Normal client roadmap is normally ahead.. I believe there is another one floating around portraying that.
    Still looking at late 2020 for desktop 10nm by the looks though. Ouch

hvalac and RnR like this.
  18. MoRpHeUs

MoRpHeUs Member

19. c4dderly

c4dderly Member

https://www.tomshardware.com/news/i...ics-sunny-cove-thunderbolt-3-usb-c,39477.html

As expected mobile first...

20. dirtyd

dirtyd Member

Semiaccurate is hammering their 10nm process (~1GHz clock speed reduction) but praising the new core:

https://semiaccurate.com/2019/06/05/a-look-at-intels-ice-lake-and-sunny-cove/