1. OCAU Merchandise now available! Check out our 20th Anniversary Mugs, Classic Logo Shirts and much more! Discussion here.
    Dismiss Notice

Ice Lake / Sunny Cove Discussion

Discussion in 'Intel x86 CPUs and chipsets' started by chainbolt, Mar 1, 2019.

1. Court Jester

Court Jester Member

you caany buy it yet and when the desktop 95-110w parts come out I am certain with those results we will be looking at decent gains over the 9900k and it will be handily beating any amd cpu amd will do what amd always do and

addd

moarrrrrrrrrrr

coresssssssssssssssssssss

completely ignoring the law of diminishing returns

2. Myne_h

Myne_h Member

Seems like there's plenty of headway based on GPUs and supercomputers.
    ~3600 on the latest gpus.

Imagine that many Atoms paired with 2-4 coffee/icelakes

Which reminds me...
    What happened to the meme that in the future the GPU would be the only thing that mattered in gaming and the CPU could be any old piece of crap?
    Looks like that never happened. A quad core chokes on BFV.

Last edited: Aug 7, 2019
  3. DarkWorld

DarkWorld Member

It happens to any resolution above 1080p. BFV is also more of an outlier than the norm, most games still only utilise up to 4 cores/threads properly. More developers are moving to parallelism with the clocks choked at 5GHz and whatnot, but multi-threading programs are exceptionally hard, and the majority of available game engines doesn't offer ease of doing so.

4. Myne_h

Myne_h Member

Right, but the meme of 10ish years ago was that the game engines would all shift to the highly parallel GPUs using cuda/opencl and the CPU would sit there practically idling.

Guess that ain't going to happen.

5. DarkWorld

DarkWorld Member

GPU doesn't have the clocks to actually compute the scheduling and the complex instructions that modern x86 processors can handle. I would love for a new architecture to come into use but ARM doesn't have the necessary IPC or ROP to rival x86 right now, but they're getting there. Unfortunately RISC is too different to CISC, and it'd be hard to dislodge x86

6. Kurosaki

Kurosaki Member

More like damn near impossible to dislodge x86.... Even Intel tried with IA64 and it got badly burnt.

Hotrod2go likes this.
  7. Hotrod2go

Hotrod2go Member

Bethesda's creation engine uses all 12 threads of my 2600X, this is with AAA titles this decade like Skyrim SE & FO4. Is that sloppy programming?

8. DarkWorld

DarkWorld Member

Uh what's your point? I said it was hard to parallelise. Bethesda's engine also locks physics to your framerate, so yes, it is sloppy programming.

9. RnR

RnR Member

10. Myne_h

Myne_h Member

That suggests it can't hit the clocks, but can run slower with low power usage.

11. SnooP-WiggleS

SnooP-WiggleS Member

12. Myne_h

Myne_h Member

So it's actually worse for power too.

Sunk cost though. Might as well use it for something. At least the die is smaller.

13. RnR

RnR Member

14. mesaoz

mesaoz Member

a new wave of pentiums for HP, Dell and Acer to sell to old people at harvey norman

335 GT, friction_point and OJR like this.
  15. Kurnous

Kurnous Member

Ice Lake is a different (Wider) architecture with general IPC 15% higher than Comet Lake so they end up pretty close despite the frequency difference. Ice Lake however has a much better iGPU so if I was going for a tablet or ultra portable right now I would certainly prefer Ice Lake.

Tiger Lake coming next year is really going to shake things up in the mobile space. It looks as though there will be another significant IPC upgrade along with a frequency bump, but more importantly the iGPU will be the new Xe Architecture which is set to have 2 x the performance of Ice Lake already good iGPU.https://wccftech.com/intel-tiger-lake-u-15w-4-core-cpu-performance-benchmarks-specs-leak/

AMD's Zen 2 based APU's will get pretty badly beaten if that is the case. Tiger Lake will have a significant IPC advantage (~20%) and a far better iGPU though it will likely have only 1/2 the cores (who cares about core count on a tablet/ultra portable?)
    Despite their wins in the consumer and even prosumer/small server space - AMD has really dropped the ball in the mobile space - they are a good year behind despite being ahead in regards to process advantage. Currently having a Zen+ APU with Vega iGPU and low frequency DDR4 support is technically in nearly all respects a good step behind Ice Lake.

Last edited: Dec 26, 2019
  16. OJR

OJR Member

There is always that one guy... clinging on to any last bit of false hope... :lol:

17. adamsleath

adamsleath Member

bleh. watch this space.

18. Kurnous

Kurnous Member

Despite my sig I am an AMD fanboy, held onto AMD from the A64 days, had a Phenom II X4 that I clung to but in late 2016 it was far too long in the tooth and AMD's Bulldozers were a steaming pile of shit so I just had to go Intel with the i5-6600K. There has not been a compelling upgrade for me since then. Zen 2 despite all the extra cores, doesn't have all that much extra IPC or frequency. Zen + was behind (minus the cores). Zen 3 will be compelling.

Nevertheless my post above was really about the mobile space, which is where Intel's 10nm+ process is relevant ATM and Ice Lake is far ahead of AMD in that space. AMD could have really pushed Intel if they had Zen 2 on 7nm, with LPDDR4-3777, it would have been a real win and since I am in the market for a tablet I'd have bitten. I am going to wait another year for desktop and tablet to see what happens since 2020 looks as though it is going to be action packed with new innovation and competition.

I suspect Tiger Lake will lead the Zen 2 APU by around as much as Ice Lake currently leads the Zen+ APU's.

In the Desktop space I will likely go with Zen 3 as I refuse to replace a 14nm processor with ANOTHER iteration 4 years later. For me to drop 1K or so to upgrade my entire system I would be expecting at least a 30% uplift in Single Thread performance (mixture of frequency and IPC) and Zen 2 doesn't quite get there.

19. OJR

OJR Member

Intel can't even keep up with the demand for their rubbish 14nm mobile CPUs. I have been waiting for 2 months for a shipment of Dell laptops. They need to be careful otherwise the big players will look to AMD for mobile. Intel are well and truly hurting ATM and they know it.

20. wintermute000

wintermute000 Member

I don't disagree with Kurnous though, intel is still ahead in mobile esp. considering perf/watt (and with the lack of high speed LPDDR for whatever reasons). We've seen how ice lake matches Zen+ iGPU and handily outperforms it for compute where AMD doesn't have a core count advantage either (see the Anandtech Surface laptop benches).

I have no axe to grind here, I run a 3600 desktop and love it