1. OCAU Merchandise is available! Check out our 20th Anniversary Mugs, Classic Logo Shirts and much more! Discussion in this thread.
    Dismiss Notice

Iced Coffee Wars / Iced Coffee Review Part 2 - Japan vs Korea

Discussion in 'Geek Food' started by sbm888, Mar 6, 2013.

1. sbm888

sbm888 Member

Hey all,

I'm back for round 2 - http://www.onthechoppingboard.com/2013/03/iced-coffee-review-part-2-japan-vs-korea.html#.UTbA3Nb-IQo.

If you missed Round 1 - http://forums.overclockers.com.au/showthread.php?t=1066699

This time, Japan vs Korea. Not as many contenders, only 8.

[​IMG]

in summary, totally different tastes to Aussie Iced Coffees... Emphasis is on coffee taste, not the milk.

If you drink coffee, and don't drink Iced Coffee, then these international iced coffees would be your alternative.

let the flaming begin!

Last edited: Mar 6, 2013
  2. 2SHY

2SHY Member

Nice. Did you get these at your local Asian Supermarket?

3. OP
    OP
    sbm888

sbm888 Member

The local asian supermarkets only did 1 or 2 of the Korean ones. I had to go to Chinatown in Adelaide to find the rest. There were a few Chinese ones that I will do next round.

4. mshagg

mshagg Politburo

Oh cool, so you can get most of this stuff down in china town? Im keen to check it out. Love my aussie style iced coffee but cant do the insane levels of sugar in them!

5. OP
    OP
    sbm888

sbm888 Member

you sure can - Little Tokyo in the markets has the Japanese ones. The Korean grocery opposite the markets on Grote have most of the Korean ones. Then the other Chinese Groceries have Nescafe brands that I have yet to try.

6. oculi

oculi Member

i don't mind a strong iced low milk low sugarIC now and then.

what i really want is something along the lines of farmers' union iced coffee, but with low sugar and full fat protein fortified milk, that would be great!

7. OP
    OP
    sbm888

sbm888 Member

have you tried the Dare Iced Coffees I recommended from the 1st review? they are the best tasting low fat content IC with full cream milk and strong coffee taste.

8. oculi

oculi Member

I had a dare a while ago and it was pretty good, I want high fat iced coffee!

9. OP
    OP
    sbm888

sbm888 Member

sorry, my post was a total fail above, I meant to say Rush Iced Coffees, they have 30% less sugar and still strong on taste...

10. Boneman

Boneman Member

The range of canned coffee here is simply phenomenal. Nothing beats grabbing a hot can of black coffee from a vending machine whilst walking home from the station.

11. Shaetano

Shaetano Member

and for only ~120Y!

12. _FuSiOnItE_

_FuSiOnItE_ Member

Keen to hear your verdict on the Pokka and Nescafe brands from around Singapore and Malaysia. The Pokka Cappuccino in a green can is my favourite at the moment. Has a nice espresso flavour with just the right amount of milk and sugar for my taste.

I was surprised by your reaction to the white Cafecino as that was my previous favourite until I couldn't find it anymore. It's quite obscure to find over here.

13. OP
    OP
    sbm888

sbm888 Member

I can't see the Pokka ones anymore, but I can see Nescafe in our groceries here in Adelaide.

I had over 40 iced coffees in 4 weeks when I was in Japan... so many different flavours. I'll post a summary in the future, but if you follow us on Instagram you can see some of the ones I've tried, I just posted about 20 of them this morning.

14. elvis

elvis Old school old fool

I note your surprise at some of these iced coffees that were dairy free. Remember that lactose intolerance occurs in a higher percentage of Asians than most other racial groups. Finding mass produced dairy-free items over there is pretty common.