Iced Coffee wars / Iced Coffee Review

Discussion in 'Geek Food' started by sbm888, Jan 7, 2013.

1. sbm888

sbm888 Member

I doubt anyone has been crazy enough to sit down in one sitting, to drink and review 16 different Iced Coffees??!?

well, let me tell you, it wasn't pretty.... hallucinations, gas, and the runs for 2 days straight.....

here you go everyone: enjoy and let me know whether you agree/disagree!

http://www.onthechoppingboard.com/2013/01/iced-coffee-review-best.html

[​IMG]

2. username_taken

username_taken Member

Yeah! Go the Ice Break!!!!

I've been living in the states for four years, when I went back last year I drank the stuff like water. They don't have anything like iced coffee here, Aside from my mummy, iced coffee is definately the thing I miss the most.

3. claf-43

claf-43 Member

Ice Break = best drink ever.

Cant touch FUIC anymore, tastes like shit in comparison.

4. mshagg

mshagg Politburo

What was the rating criteria for sweetness? Is a higher rating a sweeter drink? My main beef with iced coffees is that they're generally far too sweet - for both my palette and my insulin levels.

It's a great review though, well done.

If you have a chance to taste the Browne's percolated iced coffee, it's one of my favourites and a bit more similar to ice break.

5. OP
    OP
    sbm888

sbm888 Member

Thanks

the sugar/sweetness was based on a sweetness factor - after a clean palette. and also rated against the highest sweetness drink (as a benchmark)

and yes, i don't drink any drinks with sugar in it normally, so this was a really hard review to do, as everything was just WAY too sweet.

Do you know where the Brownes percolated coffee might be available at? i went to a few supermarkets and didn't notice it?

6. xxxxxx

xxxxxx (Banned or Deleted)

that cafecino stuff is just yuck. way too sweet. seen it somehow beat FUIC. yeah right. opinions are funny things...

7. mshagg

mshagg Politburo

Exclusive to woolies in SA, as far as I know...

8. OP
    OP
    sbm888

sbm888 Member

if everyone had the same thoughts/opinions, how interesting would life be? but seriously, I don't drink Iced Coffee, so I don't belong to a allegiance like FUIC, etc.

what I looked for was very simple, as highlighted in my criteria: Overall taste Coffee taste/strength, and sweetness. There is no 'winner' in this type of review, I am stating the criteria and how it is met. Getting more marks doesn't mean one beats another. I drink coffee, so to me, what tastes like coffee is definitely going to get more marks in that category. if it doesn't taste like 'real' coffee, ofcourse it isnt going to get marks.... why call it coffee then?

Overall taste is the only 'true' indicator i have that would make anything win or lose, but if you looked correctly, FUIC scored 8 and 7.5 compared to the Cafecnio 8 and 7... so technically FUIC still wins - just to make you happier :)

9. Bass

Bass Member

Think I had that stuff in the cans when I was in Malaysia, or something very similar. Did not like at all, and I normally <3 iced coffee

10. mmBax

mmBax Member

There's also one made by Goulburn Valley stuff that I wouldn't mind you reviewing?

I haven't had milk/coffee products in a while, it's a very rare treat these days as it upsets my stomach. But from memory the strawberry/banana were fantastic. From an even vaguer memory, the iced coffee wasn't too bad.

11. OP
    OP
    sbm888

sbm888 Member

cheers - will look harder next time for Round 2 :)

12. OP
    OP
    sbm888

sbm888 Member

no worries - I'll look for it for Round 2

13. ck_psy

ck_psy Member

cool stuff.

where are you based OP?
    do you have access to korean grocery stores?

14. OP
    OP
    sbm888

sbm888 Member

In Adelaide - yes, plenty of Koreans and Japanese stores, they are all ready for my round 2/ Part 2 review ;) imports...

15. xxxxxx

i can only drink iced coffee, real coffee makes me bloated and spewy so it is of great importance to rank them correctly :(

16. OP
    OP
    sbm888

sbm888 Member

ok - now this is getting interesting... if you don't drink Coffee, I'm guessing you like a normal taste I've referred to in my review, so have you tried Ice Break Coffee? and if you have, what are your thoughts compared to FUIC?

17. xxxxxx

very sweet and pronounced flavour compared to FUIC

sorry i should stop applying my own opinions to your review....

18. GTR27

GTR27 Member

Jacaranda ice coffee is > all those coffee's listed......yet strangely not shown.

even has a facebook page, and mentioned on the wiki for iced coffee

19. HumbleBum

HumbleBum Member

The Dare Double Espresso by a mile.. the others are WAY to sweet.

That said, I cant drink them anymore, I had a 1.5L a day addiction. :Paranoid:

20. mshagg

mshagg Politburo

I've never seen the Jacaranda IC in South Australia... FUIC has things so stiched up here, only the brave dairy companies bring their offerings across the border.