Idea for "free" data transfer between ISPs

Discussion in 'Networking, Telephony & Internet' started by Talisman, Sep 28, 2008.

1. Talisman

Talisman Member

Hi guys,

I just had an idea that I thought I would run by you.

Lets say you want to transfer data (or keep synchronized folders) between two PC's, over the Internet, that access via two separate ISP's.

Given that both your plans allow un-metered uploads- is it possible to.

1. FTP Upload data from ISP1 machine to the 'free webspace' of ISP2
    2. Download this data from the ISP2 machine - this data should be considered free traffic as it is coming from own ISP's webspace
    3. Rinse and repeat for reverse.

Wouldn't this mean that you're essentially transferring data across two different ISP's for 'free' (traffic not counted towards monthly total)?

Any thoughts?

//hakes

2. Dopefish

Dopefish Member

This is usually not 'Free' traffic as user webspace is counted in data usage for most ISP's.

You'd be better off doing this properly as there are services that offer a service such as DSL/Fibre/etc to both premises and offer VPN or something like that.

If you're trying to do it cheaply and it's not for really important stuff then you could just get 2x unmetered 256kbit or 512kbit plans and it'll probably work out cheaper but will be more dodgy.

3. spilla2003

spilla2003 Member

Internode (and I presume most other ISPs) only give 50mb of webspace, so I doubt it would be much use anyway. :lol:

4. OP
    OP
    Talisman

Talisman Member

Dope,

so if what you say is correct - my whole plan goes down the toilet..

Didn't realize that webspace traffic was counted when you were accessing it yourself.

Thanks for the info though :)

//hakes

5. Dopefish

Dopefish Member

If you're both on the same ISP, some of them do actually offer free traffic to users in the same state as well. That's an option too.

6. Vampire

Vampire Member

Just use 2 ISPs offering free PIPE =)

7. caspian

caspian Member

while some ISPs may count traffic such as PIPE as unmetered, it's far from free. the ISP still incurrs serious costs to make such data routes available.

8. i_am_not_a_nerd

i_am_not_a_nerd Member

That's an interesting idea Talisman, I like the way you think. As Dopefish points out it won't work if isp's count downloads from their own webserver. If an isp does count their own webserver data I think its pretty rude because they aren't getting charged a bean for the bandwidth but they are charging customers for it.

9. OP
    OP
    Talisman

Talisman Member

Thanks mate,

Yeah I don't know what made me think of it - obviously you would have to automate your solution using batch ftp'ing of files and then perhaps an email 'trigger' to tell the remote pc to start downloading from its ISP's webspace..

I will call up the two ISP's in question tomorrow (the one I'm on, the one the other end is on) and ask them if they include data transfers to/from their own webspace as traffic..

I may have found a poor mans way to transfer data :)

//hakes

Yes, I understand this - I'm speaking with the consumers in mind.
    //hakes

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 2, 2008
  10. caspian

caspian Member

I appreciate that, but at the same time the consumer has to appreciate that something they don't get charged for is not "free". more likely it's the ISP either utilising unused capacity to provide an additional service, or using the additional service to differentiate themselves.

11. OP
    OP
    Talisman

Talisman Member

Your argument is akin to that of Intel or AMD locking the FSB or multipliers on their CPU's, arguing that users that overclock their product are eating away into their profit margins by not paying for the performance they deserve.

I doubt this 'work around' will gather much momentum and force ISPS to change their policy - it was just a thought.. we're all 'hackers' at heart here :)

12. Lardman

Lardman Member

same isp traffic isn't metered because they generally can't (Without alot of difficulty) :p

13. banshee343

banshee343 Member

I doubt the amount of users that got the free waix/pipe traffic canned was over 1%, but if your abusing something in great quantity, expect it to be gone.

14. mickeylieu

mickeylieu Member

When you're "uploading" from PC1 to PC2, you're in fact "downloading" onto PC2.

So technically, no it wouldn't be free anyway. :)

15. FatBoyNotSoSlim

FatBoyNotSoSlim Member

Reread the OP. :thumbup:

its upload from PC1 to the webspace of pc2's isp, then pc2 is downloading it if access to their isp webspace is free.

16. OP
    OP
    Talisman

Talisman Member

Aye, thanks for correcting the post.

Stuff it, I'm going to call and ask tomorrow.. and if it's all good, I'm going to start uploading via automated ftp and downloader from the remote end...

See how much I can transfer :)

//hakes

17. caspian

caspian Member

I'm really quite dumbfounded how you can draw a parallel between two such unrelated concepts.

data transfers cost the ISP real money. routers and transfer capacity are not free. if the ISP chooses to bundle some unused capacity in order to make a plan more attractive then so be it, but it still costs the ISP money to do so - it just doesn't cost them any more to do so.

CPU manufacturers set out to make high-spec chips, lower spec chips are not intentionally created - they're the high-spec chips that fail acceptance testing at full load, but pass at a lower level. they're then sold as lower spec units, at a lower price. however, the manufacturers still put the R&D and production costs into that chip, so naturally they lock it to prevent you accessing the full performance - if you want it, pay for it. in that case, the manufacturer is simply protecting their premium product.

18. Drunkmunky

Drunkmunky Member

It's not free but they offer it as an incentive because they have reached an agreement with the ISP's they peer with to have cost price access to each others networks. So as far as the user AND the ISP are concerned they are doing each other a favor by transferring data over peer'd networks :thumbup:

19. phreeky82

phreeky82 Member

If the upload/download thing is not counted and all, then you could pull it off with a fairly simple bit of code to use "files" on the webspace as largish data packets to make it somewhat real-time, and not require webspace all that large, even for the transfer of large files.

However, if I were an ISP and noticed this happening, I'd be trying to stop it. It may not cost them directly, but all traffic practically costs them a bit as they do need to ensure they have the equipment to handle the traffic, server to handle the loads, and so on.

20. caspian

caspian Member

and what about the cost of getting the data to and from the ISP's networks? ask an ISP rep how much their AGVC costs are.