Ideal core2duo/Xeon for under-volt '&' occasional OC?

Discussion in 'Intel x86 CPUs and chipsets' started by jalyst, Dec 20, 2009.

1. jalyst

jalyst Member

I'm trying to pick the best value wolfdale-based (read: Core2, 45nm, dual-core w/6MB or 3MB L2) C2D or Xeon CPU.

One that OC's nicely & allows me to get the FSB/CS up to the top-end CPU's when needed.
    But also one that under-volts reliably on stock settings or even slightly above stock! (I have heard of this)

Are there certain models/batches that are better suited for this or is it purely 'hit & miss"?
    Has anyone had good experiences doing what I'm wanting, if so what did you go for and on what motherboard?

For motherboards I'm considering GA-EG45M-UD2H or P5Q-EM.
    I'm leaning more towards the former....

What memory do you recommend I go with?
    DDR2-1066 isn't overkill if I do intend to OC markedly on occasion right?

All this is is for a MythTV/Media front-end, hence the reason why I want to be uc/undervolted or both most times.

Thanks all!
    P.S.
    I'm well aware of the load that VDPAU takes away....
    And I understand that when idle EIST/C1E will ensure power draw is minimised 90% of the time.
    But I still want to experiment ;)

Last edited: Dec 21, 2009
  2. terrastrife

terrastrife Member

im failing to see a real question here.

3. breech

breech Member

4. OP
    OP
    jalyst

jalyst Member

Yes interested in hearing people experiences w/under-volting wolfdale-based:
    Xeon's, Core2Duo's, or Pentium DC's.

I'm guessing Xeon's & C2D's won't be as good as Pentium DC's because their larger caches & higher (on avg) clock-speeds.
    But I'm still more interested in them than Pent. DC's....

Last edited: Dec 20, 2009
  5. OP
    OP
    jalyst

jalyst Member

I've rephrased my OP so hopefully that helps? :D

6. karlcloudy

karlcloudy Member

Huh?

Pentium Dual Core's are the lower end versions of the Core 2 Duo :o. Core 2 Duo's (and usually Xeons I'm guessing) have higher cache and clock speeds usually. For example, the E8400 has 6MB of cache and runs at 3Ghz with a 1333Mhz FSB, whereas a Pentium DC E6300 has only 2MB of cache and runs at 2.8Ghz with a 1066Mhz FSB (iirc, the E5300 has 2MB cache, 2.6Ghz with 800Mhz FSB).

Intel Xeon = Intel Core 2 Duo > Pentium Dual Core - in most cases, unless you count older models as well.

As for undervolting, I would expect that a lot of chips can undervolt and overclock at the same time. My Core 2 Quad lets me undervolt with a mild OC (I think it was about 3.4Ghz, before requiring stock voltage, but I did it ages go, so I'm not 100% sure), so at stock speed, you should definately be able to decrease your voltage a fair bit, just like with overclocking, however, you'll want to do stability testing with prime95 and/or LinX to make sure it isn't spitting out errors from not having enough power.

7. OP
    OP
    jalyst

jalyst Member

i meant they may not be as good at under-volting, I wasn't referring to performance, i know Pent DC is the "lower-end" core2.

8. karlcloudy

karlcloudy Member

Oh, sorry, my mistake :Paranoid:. I assume that the better CPUs would be ones with lower TDP (for less power comsumption). You could then reduce these further (hopefully) by undervolting them. As with overclocking in general though, it would be a lucky dip. You could end up with a ripper chip that undervolts well, or one with a high VID that won't undervolt for crap (worst case right there)

9. OP
    OP
    jalyst

jalyst Member

Thanks for your thoughts, much appreciated.
    Do you know any good sites/resources for this sort of thing?

10. OP
    OP
    jalyst

jalyst Member

If a 45nm C2D or Xeon model/batch is a known good OC'r, does that lend itself to also being as good under-volter?
    seems that would make sense

11. snappy1

snappy1 Member

Typically Yes, I know it's not a core 2 duo but I have a gem batch W3540 Xeon cpu, it will run at 4GHz on just less than stock volts(Prime 95 Large FFT @1.163 volts load)

I haven't tried undervolting @stock , but I am sure it would if it can run less than stock volts with a 35% overclock.

12. OP
    OP
    jalyst

jalyst Member

Fascinating thanks!
    I wonder is there's any 2-core Xeons with similar properties?

I have heard the Xeon 775's can turn out some gem batches, more so than the C2D's at times.
    I guess that's because they're for the enterprise segment?!

I might pop over to xtremesystems to see what people say over there.
    I believe that's a good community for this sort of thing too!?

13. 3Tone

3Tone (Banned or Deleted)

The Xeon E3110 is what you want. It's basically an E8400 but better! :)

14. Oblivion-330

Oblivion-330 Member

They are a nice little chip :thumbup: I bought mine from OCAU a while back and its a beauty. It even runs at 1.4Ghz on 0.85V BIOS, idles at 1°C above ambients and IBT maxes it out at 6° over ambients. Haven't seen any more FS though but they pop up on Egay now and then.

15. OP
    OP
    jalyst

jalyst Member

16. OP
    OP
    jalyst

jalyst Member

I'm thinking I'll just use my:
    ga-p35-dq6 + c2d (can't recall model) + 4GB DDR2-1066 (corsair) + Gbyte 8600GTS as my Myth BE "&" XBMC FE for the moment.

Then after the clarkdale/arrandale stuff comes out I'll select a CPU + Motherboard for a new front-end.
    Initially I'll see how far I can get with just the IGP, but I'll prolly eventually add a GT220.

OK idea or overkill for what will primarily be a front-end?

Do you reckon a Clarkdale + Mobo will be as cheap as a similarly configured Wolfdale + G45 mobo is now?
    I don't want to wait 6-weeks only to find I'm paying 10% (or more) extra when I don't need the extra performance anyway.
    And everything better be out on the 7th, I don't want to wait 6-weeks or more :(

Last edited: Dec 28, 2009
  17. fref99

fref99 Member

Oh please. My mythtv frontend is running on an underclocked 5200 with a NVIDIA 9400 graphic card. The CPU runs at 1.2GHz almost all the time even when playing back 1080i as the Graphic card does all the work (VDPAU).

I see a max of about 15% load when playing back 1080i with the video sitting on a network drive over a 1Gb lan.

Regards
    FREF99

18. OP
    OP
    jalyst

jalyst Member

I am well aware of the load that VDPAU takes away....
    And I understand that when idle EIST/C1E will ensure power draw is minimised 90% of the time.
    But I still want to experiment ;)

Anyway, any comments on my latest developments, rather than just a stab?

Last edited: Dec 21, 2009
  19. OP
    OP
    jalyst

jalyst Member

*bump for post #16*

Anyone? Thanks!

Last edited: Dec 28, 2009
  20. snappy1

snappy1 Member

Well while bored the other day i under volted my xeon W3540, vid 1.21v

The lowest setting my classified gives me in bios is 1.00v, real volts .988v

It ran fine at stock speed, ran prime 95 large FFT @.96v.

I loved the temps under water, idle 27c , max load 40c(not bad for an i7)