ideas on best way to protect an RCA join from water

Discussion in 'Electronics & Electrics' started by GSX-R, Feb 23, 2021.

1. GSX-R

GSX-R Member

Hey folks,

I'm in the process of doing a project that is sometimes exposed to the elements and have hit a bit of a snag in terms of thinking up the best means to protect an RCA audio cable join from water.

So there'll be two male > female RCA audio joins as per cables like this :-

https://showmecables-static.scdn3.s...emale-extension-cable-6-foot-23-143-006-1.jpg

It's easy enough to protect the join from the elements by wrapping in electrical tape or whatever, but the joins will be required to be unplugged / replugged on a regular basis. For that reason I've been trying to find some sort of plastic cover / jacket designed to slide over the join where the connections meet, shielding from any chance of water getting in. Have looked high and low but can't find anything...

I'm not very creative beyond what's mass manufactured / sold at the retail level so if someone any ideas on a simple way to keep the connections protected i'd really appreciate your input.

Cheers.

2. McRutch

McRutch Member

could you just use a couple of different sized rubber boots? like what comes with antennas to protect the coax connection? one smaller one that can slide into the larger one..

3. theSeekerr

theSeekerr Member

The right answer is "don't". Lop the RCA connectors off and put a waterproof connector on there instead.

If you can't do that, can you keep the RCA stuff out of the weather and use adapter cables to deal with the outdoors? Or does something with RCA connections on it need to spend time outdoors itself?

Last edited: Feb 24, 2021
    mAJORD and th3_hawk like this.
  4. th3_hawk

th3_hawk Member

+1 for making new connectors for this purpose, even if you end up needing an adaptor elsewhere. If it needs to be waterproof that's probably the important one.

5. Myne_h

Myne_h Member

If you're too cheap to do that. Do what telstra did for decades.

Ky jelly and a plastic bag.

6. rickbishop

rickbishop Member

If it's just a join in the cable, have you considered making a cable to suit the entire run instead of having a join in the middle?

7. intransigent

intransigent Member

I'd just put a stick in the ground deep into the ground though raised sufficiently; hair band them so they arc up over it and ratchet strap a thick plastic sleeve over the breathable hair band.
    No moisture build up inside; easily removable (bunny ear plastic strap lock industry uses for holding long pallets together), protection from light, wind and rain.
    Done.
    Cost of solution? what 5 bucks?

8. merlin13

merlin13 Member

The generic official response to sort of request will basically be "Ain't Gonna Happen".

You'll need proper waterproof audio connectors.

In desperation you could try something like bog-stock two-way/four way waterproof Deutch ones at a pinch (ask Uncle Google), and and hope the short break on the shielding doesn't allow too much signal degradation or excessive injected noise.

In extreme desperation maybe a fully waterproof enclosure that'll fit over the RCA ones. Which will then lead to the downward spiral of moisture ingress over time, condensation because you'll opening the lid to the atmosphere, blah blah blah.

9. OP
    OP
    GSX-R

GSX-R Member

thanks for all the feedback and ideas guys - i think in summary for my situation the easiest thing to do is chop the rca crap altogether and go with waterproof connectors. Will look around over the weekend when i get some time - do jaycar have anything suitable?

10. cvidler

cvidler Member

Jaycar have waterproof XLR connectors.

and a bunch of waterproof automotive style connectors.