iDuplex - Prodigy on the Rampage, with Roids coursing through its veins!

Discussion in 'Modding Worklogs' started by mrbean_phillip, Feb 5, 2013.

1. mrbean_phillip

mrbean_phillip Member

Can a mod move this to worklogs, please? Appreciative!

As some of you may remember, a while ago I started a project worklog, named iProdigy. This was going to serve as a small, yet powerful gaming/everyday monster for my iWife :)

Well, the system is doing really well, I gave it a few weeks burn-in on the online racing simulator, iRacing, where it performed exceptionally well, driving the 30" display at full game settings, with a single GTX 670. You can see more from the link in my signature.

Well, the PC has finally found its berth on her Desk in the study, so I need a new iRacing monster.

Thus starts project iDuplex.

What should it be capable of?
    A monster gaming rig, running 8-12 hour iRacing sessions, while driving triple 30" at 2560x1600 res, full graphics settings.

Needs to perform this in the finicky climes of Melbourne Australia, where summer temps can sometimes approach/exceed 43-45 deg C.

Platform
    Micro-ATX, all watercooled

Hardware- already in my hands
    Asus Rampage Gene IV MATX motherboard
    Intel 3930k Processor
    4x 4GB Samsung Slimline low-voltage Dimms (yes, them ones!)
    2x MSI 680GTX Lightning cards

1x Corsair AX1200 (overkill, but no one wanted to swop for a Seasonic 860 Plat)

2x 256GB SSD Drives

1x Alphacool 280mm UT60 Rad
    1x ApogeeDrive II for Socket 2011
    1x Aquacomputer 680 GTX Waterblock (need a 2nd one, ordered)
    1x Aquaero 5 Pro, temp and flow sensors

1x Red Prodigy mini-ITX case (wtf, Beano, you have a micro-ATX motherboard, idiot, case is mini-ITX?)
    1x Dangerden micro-ATX rear port plate (ah, I see what you did just then)

Hardware - on order
    1x Aquacomputer 680 GTX Lightning Waterblock - ETA 13 Feb 2013)

Last edited: Feb 5, 2013
  2. OP
    OP
    mrbean_phillip

mrbean_phillip Member

Reserved for final pics

3. OP
    OP
    mrbean_phillip

mrbean_phillip Member

The Prodigy being a mini-ITX case, could have complicated matters, but, due to the rather volumous capacity of it, being similar in volume to many micro-ATX cases, I thought it might be pretty simple to convert it for MATX use.

edit: For the Boyz over at Bitfenix - this ain't red, it's a mix between red and pink, fwiw.

The standard required photos of the victim in it's pure, unaltered innocence - never will it be the same.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

and the back, where the biggest changes will happen

[​IMG]

4. OP
    OP
    mrbean_phillip

mrbean_phillip Member

Of course, for what I am planning, nothing on the inside will remain, it will be totally custom - so out with it!

[​IMG]

All handled by my trusty old Makita 18V cordless...

[​IMG]

5. OP
    OP
    mrbean_phillip

mrbean_phillip Member

Usually with my build logs, I would do a step-by-step of the process, from measurements to final product, but this takes to much time, and effort, so I will skip those mundane steps.

Here is a shot with the backplate in early stage of completion, with the AX1200 PSU fitted to see how it will sit and if any modifications are needed - generally I wouldn't expect any issues, as I plan things pretty thoroughly in my head beforehand, and I do take a few measurements, and go from there.

[​IMG]

In the next pic, you can also see the Dangerden IO plate I ordered from Greig at Gammmods - I am sure this was the last one, and with DD having closed down, well, the next best would be a Lian-Li unit, with integrated motherboard tray - which I did not want for various reasons, which will become clear later on.

[​IMG]

and the back side, not to shabby. All this done with a jig-saw, and a variety of hand files - no milling, no CNC. Did basic handtools as part of my Instrumentation Certification back in the mid 80's....so, pretty old school, hehe....

[​IMG]

6. OP
    OP
    mrbean_phillip

mrbean_phillip Member

We cannot have the motherboard tray dangle loose inside the case, so I fabbed a few brackets for it, which provide a very sturdy anchor - Adamski over at Overclock.net might want to do something similar.

[​IMG]

upon closer inspection, I need to trim the vertical one down, even though it would hardly be visible, sitting behind a monstrous 1200W PSU, well, this bothers me, see circled area...

[​IMG]

Also here you can see what I've done to clear the one mounting point for the priginal HD cage....pardon the finish, pretty rough, and will get the treatment...

[​IMG]

and a couple more from different angles...here I have taken some sandpaper to them, and also trimmed the excess 'overhang' down....

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

A close-up of the vertical trimmed down, no 'overhang' here....

[​IMG]

7. OP
    OP
    mrbean_phillip

mrbean_phillip Member

Here is a shot from the bottom, with the rail being secured by 3x 3mm screws- both the bottom and vertical motherboard retention rails have been drilled and tapped for 3mm screws, makes life easy should you want to do future work/mods.

I hate poprivets with a passion!

[​IMG]

and, a top-view, pretty much smack bang in the center :) This allows enough space for the motherboard and cards, as well as giving ample room at the reverse side for the PSU, with room to spare..

[​IMG]

and a view from the motherboard side - please note how close the motherboard tray is to the bottom, it was done for a very good reason, which will become clear a bit later in the exercise.

This was also why I opted for the DD IO-port plate, as opposed to the Lian-Li one, which came with a mounted tray - I fabbed this one from 1mm aluminium, and is down to the exact mm to give clearance above...which is needed...for...something...special....

[​IMG]

and for now, a final 2 shots from behind, with the backplate drilled and countersunked - came out pretty neat, all done by hand/manual labour....blah...

[​IMG]

and

[​IMG]

Enjoy, next steps would be to tap the motherboard plate to accept 6.5mm stand-offs - fortunately I have exactly 8 of them, what a relief... Motherboard tray is drilled already, just need to tap. More progress by the coming weekend, enjoy.

8. electro rc

electro rc Member

I like this very much, can you build me one? Please?

9. Brianf1971

Brianf1971 Member

That was nice and quick Beano, well done, your not going to pass any cable under the Mobo ??

Brian

10. OP
    OP
    mrbean_phillip

mrbean_phillip Member

Cheers Brian, cannot afford the space - will tidy it up the same way as i-Prodigy....custom length cables, etc....Need every last mm up top.....

@ Electro: almost anything can be done, at the right price :) You can always buy this one when I'm done, hehe. Question is, would you want to?

Add just the price of all the components together, it's hair-raising....

11. Brianf1971

Brianf1971 Member

Ok I understand UT60 inside then :thumbup:, is there enough clearance above the I/O for the GPU links??? or are you going out on the side with a mod?, sorry I know impatient all will be revealed I know.

Brian

12. Jakusonfire

Jakusonfire Member

Very nice metal work :thumbup:

13. Saate

Saate Member

Haha I love the ominous sound of that :p Liking this mod and I love the look of the prodigy cases.

Curious to hear what kind of cables came with the AX1200? Did you get the original single-sleeved black wired ones or the newer individually sleeved cable ones?

14. Dumpty

Dumpty Member

single 280 rad for a CPU, and 2 cards? :Paranoid:
    But i was surprised by your i-Prodigy build
    so i have faith. :Paranoid: :lol: :D

15. OP
    OP
    mrbean_phillip

mrbean_phillip Member

@ Brian: I have thought of the clearance between top of GFX and side cover, may not be enough - I am awaiting the arrival of my 2nd Aquacomputer block, as well as the SLI bridge for it.

This rear plate is a prototype though, I will redo a new one out of 5mm alu shortly, and will have the correct clearance for the waterblocks :)

@ Jakusonfire: Ta Mate, tired of filing already, pretty hard work getting a good finish along the longer cuts - but they look real good irl...so pretty happy. Spent to much time on workshop tools as an apprentice in the mid 80's hehe

@ Saate: I will redo the cables with my Turnigy spaghetti noodles high-temp silicone wire. Much more work, but will give a tidier outcome in what will be a pretty populated setup.....

@ Dumpty: Have faith, brother :lol: Naw Mate, all good, will not be any problems, I think people sometimes forget we are cooling processors, and not 1000hp V8's!

16. trash

trash Member

Once again quality is appearing in the early stages. I am assuming custom cables and lengths for the PSU as with your other projects? There is a lot going on inside the case. I am waiting for the cable and tube runs to see where you place/hide them!

17. OP
    OP
    mrbean_phillip

mrbean_phillip Member

Thanx Trash, appreciative of your feedback ;)

Yep, custom cables/lengths, only way this can work for this specific log - seems I always end up in this predicament, blah....

18. Dumpty

Dumpty Member

true,
    going to paint the motherboard tray black?
    These lighting cards are they the ones without the limited clock?

Last edited: Feb 6, 2013
  19. NeuDub

NeuDub Member

Looking good. Keen for more progress. :thumbup:

20. Acesi7

Acesi7 Member

Yay!

Another Beanie project!

Can't wait to see what's possible! Love your work mate.

I'll be watching this one closely...