IE7 to have tabbed browsing *Internet Explorer 7 Released*

Discussion in 'General Software' started by MR CHILLED, Feb 25, 2005.

?

Will IE7 spell the demise of other browsers?

1. Yes

61 vote(s)
    12.7%
  2. No

356 vote(s)
    74.3%
  3. Maybe, not sure

62 vote(s)
    12.9%
  1. MR CHILLED

MR CHILLED D'oh!

Could IE7 spell the demise of the other browsers? Or perhaps just regain some of the ground it has lost of the past few years....

I know it is like asking the Pope if he is Catholic, but I inserted a poll in the hope for some objective, non one-eyed votes and discussion.

This is a flame free thread, if you don't like that, stay the .... out :thumbup:
    Same goes for off topic comments.

Internet Explorer 7 Preview 1

In summary:

2. Cool Barn

Cool Barn Member

I don't think IE7 will do anything other than be a slightly improved browser. By the time it comes out Firefox will also have improved and I just can't see Microsoft ever keeping up with an open-source browser that is as refined and performs as well as Firefox does.

However if IE7 CAN do everything FF does AND performs as well then I will certainly use it - with both hardware and software I refuse to be a fanboy and will use what suits me best at the time.

Time will tell, but I just can't see it happening. I'm thinking Firefox, Opera, (and other solid browsers) are here to stay.

3. zer0sum

zer0sum Member

I like Maxthon the best and have tried them all...
    It uses IE's rendering engine so manages the pages that just wont work with Firefox and has tabbed browsing and arguably more options than firefox.

It has a lot of taskbars when first installed, but it takes two minutes to get rid of them all and make it light and streamlined.

Great to see the new IE will be better.
    Means that maxthon will get the engine optimisations if there are any :D

cheers

z

4. CerealKiller

CerealKiller Member

IE will always out perform other browsers because it's integrated into the Operating System. Features will be the make or break of it. I was a IE diehard until I used Firefox. Firefox > * because of the extensions and tabbed browsing.

5. seb

seb Member

No IE7 for Win 2K. May have to upgrade the office network to Firefox after all... :)

I could change the icon and rename - the boss wouldn't even know. hehe.

6. Deeman

Deeman Vagrant.

I'm expecting IE6 with the same options as firefox/opera and any of the other 'contemporary' browsers.

That said, if they can make IE7 do everything that firefox can, then i'll happily switch back. I still use IE6 and firefox interchangeably, but i'd be happy to go back to IE7 without a doubt.

Interesting that something destined for Longhorn will arrive early, when most other things destined for Longhorn aren't even going to make it into Longhorn itself!

7. OP
    OP
    MR CHILLED

MR CHILLED D'oh!

Not here, I voted maybe, despite what other t*ssers assume. Unfortunately I forgot to leave the poll open so everyone could see others vote.

Well obviously it has been brought forward due to other browsers gaining ground. Long overdue though.

8. Cool Barn

Cool Barn Member

Deeman I agree with you, but would like to add that not only does Internet Explorer 7 have to perform like FireFox and do everything it can, but also it will have to prove that it is secure as well for me to turn back and abandon FF.

I have grown to like FireFox, but I'm also the sort of person that doesn't like to have unnecessary programs running on my computer. If IE7 is good I'll be happy to use it as my only browser, but if it isn't as good as FF then I'll continue to use FF.

9. Wizdon

Wizdon Member

I'm ashamed to admit I'm looking forward to the release. I want to see if they'll do anything remarkable.

And before I get stabbed while I'm asleep, I'm currently using firefox :D

10. Wolf

Wolf Lex generalis

I very much doubt they'll be able to compete.

I doubt whether MS will see past its commercial nose to replicate the extension features I regard as essential after using Firefox for a while now. I mean why would they move to a universal search system like NeedleSearch when they can continue with cosy cross promotion and business partnerships.

Last edited: Feb 25, 2005
  11. zzzzz

zzzzz Member

No, it will not.

12. Fodder

Fodder (Banned or Deleted)

Will Firefox 2.0 spell the demise of Mr Chilled's stubborn refusal to acknowledge a superior product? :p

13. King of Cool

King of Cool Member

I voted maybe. With the tabbed browsing I will probably change back, as I find IE to be a faster browser. Not in download speed but in operational speed. Ie its quicker to save files and bookmark websites. I spose we will wait and see.

KoC

14. Sephir0th

Sephir0th Member

I vote no. With the wide range of user tastes and also operating system choices, with more people going to linux i very much doubt IE will spell the demise of other browsers

15. GreenBeret

GreenBeret Member

One thing for sure: it will spell the demise of IE6 ( :p ) and all the websites that have been coded to get around IE6's nasty bugs....which means they will have to be redone to get around IE7's new quirks.

16. Cool Barn

Cool Barn Member

I've been waiting to see how long it takes before someone stated the truth. Do the people who voted Yes honestly believe that Apple and the individual Linux distros are going to say "righto, scrap Safari, Camino, Omniweb, Mozilla, Opera, Netscape etc".

The chances of that happening are a million to one, a percentage so small that in reality makes it impossible.

17. Segression

Segression Member

Nope, It's not just the tabbed browsing that makes firefox what it is..

18. Zzapped

Zzapped Member

If this is true, and IE 7 does incorporate tabbed browsing then I see no reason to use FF any more as thats the only reason I use it

Cheers

19. Zzapped

Zzapped Member

Exactly how is it a superior product ?

20. StratosFear

StratosFear Member

Extensions?

That is one of the many reasons it's a better product.

Heck I don't even use tabs with firefox.