1. OCAU Merchandise is available! Check out our 20th Anniversary Mugs, Classic Logo Shirts and much more! Discussion in this thread.
    Dismiss Notice

If I wanted to make a documentary...

Discussion in 'Photography & Video' started by ddk, Mar 4, 2013.

1. Athiril

Athiril Member

The FX1 will procude a soft image by comparison.

I've seen samples of the FX1 side by side with the 5DII, the 5DII had better detail rendition.

Here's a sample of a 5DII vs a GH1: http://www.dvxuser6.com/uploaded/47652/1276305007.jpg

I heard it (FX1) was about ISO 160 at it's base sensitivity.

Here is a full-frame PNG from my GH2 just now, @ ISO 2500. Which would be +24dB of gain on the FX1. 6 more dB than the FX1 goes up to, ie: The max gain is ISO ~1250.

http://i45.tinypic.com/4l379.png

I do have to admit that the FF dSLRs beat the GH's in high iso low noise by a good margin in video. But the image isn't as good due to line skipping to get to 1080p, plus heavier and much more expensive.

Lighting changed for these two, went back out some time later after posting originally
    ISO 5000
    http://i47.tinypic.com/2i6juqb.png

ISO 12800
    http://i46.tinypic.com/21m4rvn.png

You need to use less compression for these high ISOs due to the noise, or you do get some compression artefacts - good thing you can increase the bitrate tremendously on these cameras, as well as the matrices among other things (better off using someone else's settings though, you dont have to do any meticulous testing then!).

edit:
    Also this
    http://www.dvxuser.com/V6/showthrea...-5D-Mk-II-footage-comparison-shoot-out!/page3

"The GH1 is at iso 400 and the 5D at 1250 but they both seem to be the same actual brightness...."
    "The reason that the GH1 was at ISO 400 is because, (as I've been saying for months) the camera has an effective ISO much faster than rated in camera."

Edit:
    For the GH2 I highly recommend the inexpensive ebay AC adapter that slides into the battery slot. So you can shoot off mains power indoors, otherwise spare batteries is a must for long shoots.

Last edited: Mar 5, 2013
  2. nafan08

nafan08 Member

If you don't want ambient sound while talking is going on get a lavalier mic its a clip on mic they are cheap the more you spend the better it will be but a cheap one should do fine same with a sound recorder you chould be able to get away with a cheap one the other option is hire them they dont cost to much to hire ;)

I think plan as much as you can study the environment you want to film so you know what you will need to do before you start filming and maybe have a good mix of scene's not talking with just one angle break it up abit to keep it interesting.

well thats my 2 cents :) good luck.

3. C.Michael

C.Michael Iron Photographer

Watch 5 Broken Camera's. A documentary about a man and his family's journey and views through the Israeli / Gaza conflict. He uses cameras he borrows, buys for cheap of friends etc. it's not always about the footage itself. Watch it, it's brilliant.

4. Fortigurn

Fortigurn Member

You've been given enormous amounts of great information, but I'll add something which hasn't yet been raised; Kickstarter. If you can get the storyboard and stuff worked out (see previous excellent comments), you could get a campaign going. Even work the tear jerker angle by mentioning your destitute financial situation and your medical needs. :thumbup:

5. Athiril

Athiril Member

Last I checked, we were Australian citizens not U.S. or U.K. citizens.

6. OP
    OP
    ddk

ddk (Banned or Deleted)

It's possible that I may be able to get dual citizenship as an Australian-German. Does that count?

Last edited: Mar 14, 2013
  7. ^catalyst

^catalyst Member

pozible. i think that is how you spell it.

8. Fortigurn

Fortigurn Member

You don't have to be a US or UK citizen to start a project on Kickstarter. There are plenty of projects on either Kickstarter or Kickstarter UK by people living in Taiwan, Italy, Australia, and other countries.

9. Athiril

Athiril Member

"
    Am I eligible to start a Kickstarter project?

US creators must be permanent US residents at least 18 years of age with a social security number (or EIN), a US bank account, US address, US state-issued ID (driver’s license), and major US credit or debit card.

UK creators must be permanent UK residents at least 18 years of age either creating a project in their own name or on behalf of a legal entity with a Companies House Number. You’ll need a UK address, UK bank account, government-issued ID (driver’s license or passport), and a major UK credit or debit card.

Please note that anyone, anywhere (with a major credit or debit card) can pledge to Kickstarter projects.

We’re working hard to open up to more countries. If you’ve been waiting, we really appreciate your patience. "

Correct me if I'm wrong here, but that basically means US or UK citizenship for anyone not residing within these countries on PR.

10. Fortigurn

Fortigurn Member

It talks about requirements for US and UK Kickstarters, but doesn't say only these citizens can join. See projects by people in Taiwan, Italy, Australia, Spain, and Korea.

11. Athiril

Athiril Member

I'm just reading the requirements.

The logic being, you wouldn't be a permanent resident (PR rules) in the U.S. or U.K. if you're not living in the U.S. or U.K., hence citizenship to satisfy the eligibility requirements if living outside the U.S. or U.K.

12. Fortigurn

Fortigurn Member

But you don't have to have either US or UK citizenship to satisfy the eligibility requirements if living outside the US or UK. I've linked to people who aren't ex-pat US or UK citizens, they're native citizens of Italy, Taiwan, Australia, Spain, and Korea.

13. Athiril

Athiril Member

For all intent and purposes they are not native citizens of X. They are registered as UK or US permanent residents on kickstarter.

Try to start a project and see. You can only join as a permanent resident of UK or US.

The only way to do this is register through a friend, or create a separate legal entity that can enter into legal contracts, that is a 'permanent resident'.

You then need a U.S. street address, a P.O. box does not count.

You then need to open a U.S. bank account, which can be difficult.

It is not a simple matter of registering on kickstarter, you simply cannot sign up if you are not a permanent resident of those countries, or a citizen if you live outside of them. You have to create a US (or UK) identity to create a project on kickstarter.

Every single link you have provided all will have US or UK identities, addresses and bank accounts.

More info on the hoops you have to jump through here:
    http://www.robyward.com/2012/03/how-to-setup-a-kickstarter-project-if-youre-australian/

14. Fortigurn

Fortigurn Member

No they aren't. They only need one member of their team to be a US or UK permanent resident or citizen. That's one way of several ways. This is nothing to do with Kickstarter, it's about Amazon's required payment terms; they only make domestic transfers.

Yes you can, you just need a US or UK member of your team. That's one way and for many people it's the easiest way.

So yes, you can do it. And there are several ways of doing it. People all over the world are doing it.

15. ^catalyst

^catalyst Member

16. Athiril

Athiril Member

Good thing ddk has a team in the U.S. that has his back :p

17. Fortigurn

Fortigurn Member