1. OCAU Merchandise is available! Check out our 20th Anniversary Mugs, Classic Logo Shirts and much more! Discussion in this thread.
    Dismiss Notice

If you had to limit yourself to six retro systems at most, what would they be?

Discussion in 'Retro & Arcade' started by Cannula, Nov 24, 2021.

1. andrewbt

andrewbt Member

My goal was to accumulate about half dozen machines - specifically systems that I had growing up (or as close to) - or I remember really wanting

- 386 DX40 - Our first upgrade from the 386SX16. Still don't have either
    - 486 DX2/66 - Never had one. Just thought they were cool. I have one now, and a DX4/100.. plus way more :\
    - Pentium 200Mhz - Went from the 386 to a 133.. But had access to a 200 at School and that was so much better.
    - Pentium II 500Mhz - No reason really, apart from Slot-1 having an aesthetic, me being 14 or 15 and unable to buy one - but really wanting to because.. well.. Unreal.
    - Pentium III 800Mhz - My first (own) computer after it was evident my childhood obsession with computers wasn't going away, and should probably be encouraged/fostered. Happy Birthday/Christmas/don't ask for anything for the next few years.....
    - P4 3.0Ghz (Northwood, not Presshot) - First machine I ever bought with my own dollarydooos. $700 in 2003 for a CPU, and 350 for a P4C800E Deluxe. As crap as P4's were, I do regret selling it on.
    - Core 2 Q6600 - Go far enough back in my post history and you'll see me talking about wanting to buy one. I did, and I still have it. I only just pulled it out of service as the server I run for my parents about six months ago.

I feel really guilty about having more than those 5 or six machines above. I've found some interesting stuff that was too esoteric to pass up, had stuff given to me, or just come across stuff that might have just seen the bin. Or people just selling lots of stuff cheap and wanting it gone.

I don't feel it a mark of pride of having a shelf of retro bits that are currently unused/untested/unbuilt; rather a cognitive dissonance - there's a shame that it has not found the love it deserves (yet), but also some part of me feels relieved that such stuff has not found it's way into an ewaste dump - never to be used again.

2. adz

adz Member

I started to think about this and given I have so many old computers with even more planned, I couldn't actually figure out which one's I could live without, so I compiled a if money were no object wish list instead:

C128D (Had this...)
    A4000T
    IBM 5170
    PentiumMMX based machine (Have this already)
    Tualatin based machine with SLI Voodoo's (Have this already)
    Core2 based machine with SLI GTX280's (Nearly have this, just need one more GTX280)

That in theory should cover all my retro needs from the 80's until to 2010'ish and all would be spec'd balls to the wall, but meh, for me, it's mostly about the build anyway, I don't get much time to actually use my old computers...

FIREWIRE1394 and MUTMAN like this.
  3. Flamin Joe

Flamin Joe Member

That is where I am at with my collecting. I haven't been very active for the past year because I've been feeling a bit burnt out in this hobby which has been largely my fault. I have a bad habit of collecting machines to fix but only going so far in the restoration only for something new and shiny to come along which steals the focus then rinse and repeat. This list has just kept on growing over the years compounded by a few previously working system developing minor issues which also gets added to the list. Pretty soon the enjoyable hobby isn't so enjoyable and I feel just as you described.

This thread has been good for me as it's been a while since I moved on a couple of systems and haven't really put that much thought into it since. I want to get back into enjoying this hobby but I don't think that will happen until I've made a few more hard decisions and let go of some projects which at this rate I don't think I will ever finish. Getting that to do list down will eaise a burden on my mind and while I've never really had a target in mind to aim for, 6 is something worth considering. :thumbup:

Vanne, andrewbt, JidaiGeki and 2 others like this.
  4. Phido

Phido Member

Vic20
    C64C
    SNES mini
    386-486DLC
    AMD 486DX/133 oc to 160
    Compaq Deskpro Pentium II 450

Hardly used the Vic20.. and I haven't included my Amiga, as I haven't really got that setup. I would probably swap the vic20 for the Amiga.

5. power

power Member

she'll be upset.

6. elvis

elvis Old school old fool

I've reconsidered posting my list several times over now, as I feel it would deeply offend OCAU retro crew. :lol:

7. adz

adz Member

Go on, give it a crack ;)

Pierre32 likes this.
  8. power

power Member

i like being offended otherwise i wouldn't be here.

elvis likes this.
  9. MUTMAN

MUTMAN Member

let me guess two of your picks
    Sega 1000
    MiSTer

? howd i go ?

adz likes this.
  10. ohayes

ohayes Member

Amiga
    C64
    Saturn
    PS2
    Apple II
    Atari 800

11. CRTified

CRTified Member

MiSTer (or any modern multi system) is a bit like using one of your 3 Wishes to get an extra 30 Wishes. Not that I'm opposed, you understand. Who wouldn't??
    1.png

:lol:

adz likes this.
  12. elvis

elvis Old school old fool

Kinda why I've not said anything. I'm assuming the gist of the thread is hardware that itself is retro, not hardware that can be set up to play retro.

I've lost most of my love for old hardware itself now outside of wanting to document what we can while they still exist. For me the hardware is just a vehicle to the software and games. All the fiddling and tinkering with PCBs and silicon was never what I valued. The games meant everything to me, and still do, and my answer would reflect that.

And of course, that's just me and my thing. For people that do love their PCB tinkering, that's cool too. It's those folks who keep pushing for improvements in accuracy of modern multi-systems, and for that I'm eternally grateful. Without them, I wouldn't have the bits I love at the quality that's available today.

adz and Daft_Munt like this.
  13. Pierre32

Pierre32 Member

I love hearing about different solutions, whatever form they might come in. badmofo's Cyrix box generates a bit of envy at my end as a very versatile space saver. Its role includes 8-bit emulation which doesn't seem to have upset anyone. psoma's Beige Bomber: The i5 sleeper is also a fantastic project.

BiggusDickus and adz like this.
  14. GumbyNoTalent

GumbyNoTalent Member

C64 - just to play original Elite as it was intended
    Atari 1040STe - 4096 colors and proper Midi have NFI why all the Amiga love ;).
    SegaMaster - Wonder Boy... come on Tenacious D immortalized how good this is in a song!
    SegaMegaDrive 32X - gotta have all the fruit for epic Sonic sessions.
    PS1 - Grand Tourismo *drop mic*
    Xbox Original - house mate got one on release and we where "Amped" for months (pun intended).

PS - no room for N64 :(

Last edited: Nov 27, 2021
    Vanne, adz and MUTMAN like this.
  15. badmofo

badmofo Member

I think people are just being polite :lol: That's the beauty of this hobby though there's no wrong way to do it, as long as you're having fun.

adz, Pierre32 and MUTMAN like this.
  16. Daft_Munt

Daft_Munt Member

I understand this but I am also impressed with what some people are doing with old consoles, emu's, powers DCHDMI, BT controllers. I love my old console hardware, but know it is a matter of time before it dies, disk rot.

I invested in it before it became expensive (I got into it again trying to deal with some grieving 6 years ago (step father died in front of me, the big C)) and need to look into MiSTer again. Need some time off to sort the eums and pico psus for consoles, most in storage (old mans trunk for Germany 1960s). I just like to set it up and play it, not fuck around, hence 70 x 90 min blank CDRs and too many SD cards. Fanboi shit...Seeggaa

As for the 5, hmm:
    - Smegadrive with MCD2 - SMS converter
    - Saturn
    - Dreamcast
    - PS3 - emulate PS1 and 2
    - Q6600 for a lot of other shit, emulation, dosbox etc.

I only had limited experience with C64, Amiga and PCs as a kid so didnt have the same impression on my mind/youth and didnt own 2-4 when released.

adz and MUTMAN like this.
  17. Vanne

Vanne Member

I might be a bit towards the part of the hobby you guys don't like, as I have multiples of systems that I do collect/play.

Aside from the many Wii's that I have, (just couldent resist to leave em at a cost of 25 to 45 bucks and I swear they were asking to come home with me) I collect systems to bring them back to Thier former glory and to for them to be restored. It's like a puzzle and that's the attraction for me aside from the memory of playing those systems long ago.

I am not sure how many versions of the Gamecube I have, but it's a bunch.. I also own 3 very rare ones. It's my fave system.. my other fave system is the Dreamcast. (Though I dont actively look for or collect DC's and again, I have a few) Still play it weekly with my kids. The other one that I do collect is the N64.. (which I also play weekly) which ties in with my other love for SGI/3DFX machines and cards.

How many N64's do I own? Not that many, 14 or so, but the ones I do own are mint and I love converting them to RGB.

So that makes my list so far

¹.GC
    ².N64
    ³.Dreamcast
    ⁴.C64/128
    ⁵.Retro pc (depending on when you look, it has varying hardware inside it)
    ⁶.current pc daily driver

I do own a bunch of other systems , some in varying states of disrepair, like the Amiga, which I am really fond of too, but it just hasn't gotten to me like the C64 has. I also have a few varying versions of the 2600, some RGB modified, some not, however it's a really important system to me as it was my first real introduction to the world that played inside the TV. I can't not mention the PS2, it's my fave playstation version by far and some of the games that are on this are just pure art. (I have a few of these too) I appreciate the fact that emulation can cater for a lot of systems and that we are very lucky to have the option for new hardware to implement our beloved games, and I recognize that as Elvis always says, sometime soon in the future it will be the only way to experience these systems, and we are very lucky to have the systems in place that will conserve (hopefully) a lot of this art.

I also collect/play with the correct time frame joysticks/keyboards etc that go with the systems.

But I don't collect more versions of various systems to just collect and then flog off later... I collect them to conserve them. I lend out my stuff all the time to my mates who want to play, and I love introducing kids to older games. The arcade machine is always a huge hit with kids during bbq's/parties that we have at our joint.

So that's another system that I should add to the list. Wonderboy gets the most airtime on that puppy, unless the kids wanna play the Simpsons 2 player.

Daft_Munt, adz, Flamin Joe and 2 others like this.
  18. Flamin Joe

Flamin Joe Member

I don't think it's a bad thing for others to own too many systems, just personally it can be a bit much for me as it bothers me to have so many unused/need of repair systems here.

I think too you can be excused for having so many as you have direct access to the US market so can score deals which we can only dream of. I can't speak for everyone but I know I would find it extremely difficult to turn down the kind of stuff you can get your hands on. :D

Daft_Munt, adz and MUTMAN like this.