IGN: Who Cares About Graphics Anymore?

Discussion in 'PC Games' started by reddead2067, Jan 6, 2011.

1. reddead2067

reddead2067 Member

For the ultra hardcore gamers who still genuinely enjoy scrambling for hardware upgrades to run the latest games and reveling in the ultimate image quality, it's easy to feel slighted. We are no longer the target demographic of big budget development. Nvidia and ATI are still bruising each other with regular product releases, so the opportunity still exists to upgrade to see the very best if so inclined, but it's as far from necessary as it's ever been.

http://au.pc.ign.com/articles/114/1142735p1.html

2. HeXa

HeXa Member

I do

but I ain't buying shit unless it has a story or replay value as well

3. Frontl1ne

Frontl1ne Member

Love the first comment:

Epic. If no one cares about graphics anymore, then I'm sure everyone will be happy to go back and play all the older games (since most of them are better than the junk coming out now).

4. beastosterone

beastosterone Member

It's not that nobody cares about graphics anymore - it's that after 5 years of the same graphics and 5 years of non-gamers entering the industry, nobody remembers what graphical improvements are.

5. jgustrove

jgustrove Member

I love good graphics, but they should make sure the games freaking playable before releasing it.

EA Sports comes to mind... I can't recall their Madden series getting a engine update since 2000.

6. ravencs

ravencs Member

Bah, we should all go back to playing tribes 1.
    Throw all these rubbish new games in the bin!

7. OP
    OP
    reddead2067

reddead2067 Member

Yes. Madden has been a huge disappointment these last 5-6 years.

If only the exclusive deal would end, and we get competition again.

8. jgustrove

jgustrove Member

2013 I believe is the last year of the current deal, they'll probably get a new deal done. I only bought 08,09 and skipped 10,11. 2005 was my favourite, maybe 2004 a close second.

The graphics are useless if you arn't enticed into playing it more. STALKER is a perfect example of half-ass graphics but my word, I've played maybe 50-60 hours in ShoC Free-Play which is longer than doing the game itself at the slowest rate imaginable.

I think most people want good graphics, but they probably prefer playability first. Wii is all about fun, PS3/Xbox360 is part of everything like a PC but without the customization. They made the PS3/Xbox too PC-like and now they've gone the Wii route (or Sony iToy or something, can't remember that product exactly) and started using gimmicks to keep people entertained.

Also, Graphics pull the "casual" gamer in, most gamers don't play more than maybe 10-15 hours a week, so a epic 6-week levelling process in an MMORPG isn't something most people will commit to. This is where COD comes in great (even though I hate COD) because its essentially pick-up and play which casual gamers make up the majority of the target audience. I ask everyone how many hours a week you play? I feel during uni I can't get more than a couple of hours but during holidays still it's iffy since one day I wont even turn on my PC and others I'll game for 12-18 hours.

TL-DR - graphics in games are like people, fickle but required improvements to stay appealing to others.

Last edited: Jan 6, 2011
  9. Yerolo

Yerolo Member

I'll read the article later, but first thoughts:

Its not the fact we care or care not about graphics, but rather the disintegration (read:consolization) of gameplay.

I think most PC gamers would be happy to sacrifice a bit of graphical detail if it means returning to the good old days of pc gaming where everything wasn't dumbed down (not implying that pcs should have to sacrifice graphic detail -- just stating a point)

I was saying to some mates only recently that games dont have that 'wow' factor anymore to me (Especially if you went through that 'golden age' era when 3dfx and soundblaster changed pc gaming forever)...every genre seems like it has been done to death now, all new games just seem like graphically enhanced versions of old games (and usually dumbed down)

10. Pinkeh

Pinkeh Member

CryEngine 3 :thumbup:

Who cares about story when the new engine will be awesome. Hopefully more awesome than CryEngine 2

11. purehybrid

purehybrid Member

Unfortunately you are incorrect. As proven by sales figures and the general direction of the industry. Most PC Gamers "on forums like OCAU", may place more value in gameplay, however it has been made abundantly clear in recent times, that the current generation of "gamers", don't really want any interactive challenge at all, they just want to 'press A to proceed'.

12. karn1911

karn1911 Member

I always hear the word gameplay being thrown around but what exactly are people specifying when they say gameplay?

It seems people will always cherry pick what they want from a game and deem it 'gameplay.' Whether that quality may be:
    a) Interface
    b) Difficulty
    c) Graphics
    d) Plot
    e) Characters
    f) 'Feel'

I'd play a health regenerating, aim botting, crappy config game if the plot justified it. I'd also play a game with subpar plot but had excellent controls, interface, 'feel' and graphics. My point being is that, I'm sure everyone has a very subjective opinion of what good 'gameplay' is.

13. Vladdo

Vladdo Member

The gaming industry is going through what hollywood & the riaa are going through.. Lack of creativity.. They tell us that sales are down due to piracy etc.. but is there anything seriously worth paying full price for?

Also, with the upcoming softmod hacks for the PS3 will the gaming industry also gloss over the fact that ps3 piracy rates will/are going through the roof, yet, still blame lack of investment in PC gaming as a consequence of high piracy rates..

14. Yerolo

Yerolo Member

I know, I'm well aware of the problem. I look at the bygone era of PC gaming with rose tinted glasses more than any other reason. We are well past the point of no return I'm afraid.

I still buy games nowadays (and many of those 'press a to continue' ones), so Im contributing to the issue...but hey, I still want to play games, so I play whats out there.

Its unfortunate that the FPS genre has been the most hard hit by the 'dumbed down' phenonema, looking forward to DNF and its 2 gun limit, health regen bs :rolleyes:

15. beastosterone

beastosterone Member

are you dumb

it has worse graphics than Crysis - it's on consoles

16. .Radiant

.Radiant Member

oh what. i wonder if a few of these people realise consoles render at much lower resolutions than even low end pc's these days.

17. prezident doom

prezident doom Member

I do but serious eye candy is very limited these days. I would upgrade my rig in a heartbeat if any games would give me the reason to.

18. wvxman

wvxman Member

Sure we are. Kick Intel up the arse for fucking around with Project Offset and then we'll talk hardware requirements. There's nothing else on the horizon which looks to stress existing hardware at reasonable screen resolutions (1080p).

Though I suppose Witcher 2 might be a little thirsty.

19. Stevros

Stevros Member

I definately care about graphics, one of the best parts of gaming is immersion and alot(not all) of that comes from having great graphics.

20. thaFunkster

thaFunkster New Member

Immersion, your right definitely important, along with atmosphere.

Probably the best title for these two in my books was System Shock 2, hell of a game, thought the graphics nowadays look shite, it would probably still immerse the player just as well as it used to.