1. OCAU Merchandise is available! Check out our 20th Anniversary Mugs, Classic Logo Shirts and much more! Discussion in this thread.
    Dismiss Notice

iiNet to acquire Internode

Discussion in 'Networking, Telephony & Internet' started by Agg, Dec 22, 2011.

1. Alfonzo

Alfonzo Member

I'm personally with Optus atm on an ADSL2+ plan, but my contract ended last month so I'm now doing my homework on a new one.

Was considering TPG's unlimited ADSL2+ as it's available in my area, but was also keeping an eye on both iiNet and Internode respectively. This has kind of screwed my decision making up a little now. :lol:

2. fR33z3

fR33z3 Member

"all your internodes are belong to us" - iiBorg.

3. RoSWeLL

RoSWeLL Member

wow, for a moment I thought it was Aprils fools ...

As long as Internode remains seperate for the meantime I think none of us should have anything to worry about? I don't see plans changing unless they were merged into iinet.

4. timsarg

timsarg Member

westnet was fine after iinet bought it so see no issues with this merger . As the article said it's a win win for both companies .

5. MWP

MWP Member

Something like this was always going to happen soon.

Internode have had major cash flow issues over the last year or so.
    They have also lost all their top level (read: knowledgeable) network guys to other companies.

It was looking like Internode would go bust or fall in a heap network wise sometime in the next few years.

From what ive heard, its pretty much all been Simon's own fault through bad management decisions.
    It sounds like he has got out of the situation quite well.

6. ir0nhide

ir0nhide Member

Your timing was a little off.

7. JoJoker

JoJoker (Banned or Deleted)

I was about to switch from Netspace because of iiNet's take over. I'm glad I saw this beforehand, it will make my decision easier.

8. shadowman

shadowman Member

How so? Mergers and Acquisitions is part of any industry, you'll find most large industries (Banking, Finance, Insurance, Automotive) all tend to shift towards many large companies, rather than small companies.

As long as there are three major players in the market, the ACCC won't care.

Please explain? iiNet’s plans are fairly competitively priced, probably middle of the market right now, but they are usually leading the market in increased quotas, services etc. and then everyone else plays catchup.

The only thing I want that Internode has is the newsgroup binaries, which basically saves me about $50 a year.

9. caspian

caspian Member

as usual I see Simon can't differentiate between what's good for Simon and what's good for the consumer.

Simon Hackett said "We believe the best interests of Internode’s customers, employees and shareholders are served by joining forces with a corporately and culturally aligned business such as iiNet," he said.

bullshitTM. why can't he for once just say it - the decision puts a lot of money in his pocket and that's the end of it.

10. IKT

IKT Member

why should I expect what you just said to be true?

11. FiShy

FiShy Member

IInet and Optus are not the best of friends.

12. bart5986

bart5986 Member

I bet long term its going to make some Internode customers unhappy.

But its not like they had a choice as it looks like they were losing customers rapidly.

13. itsmydamnation

itsmydamnation Member

how did it look like that?

so long as usenet stays i dont care...... otherwise i would prob look at 60mbit vdsl2 via ...... oh wait.........:lol:

14. TRG.dOinK

TRG.dOinK Member

Yea spot on, Westnet got bought out and now have the exact same plans/price as iiNet. Same shit with Netspace. I suspect Internode will then follow the same line/path...

Yea more choice for the consumer, now we'll have 4 company's (iiNet, internode, westnet, netspace) with all the same plans and price.... bad for the consumer.

Last edited: Dec 22, 2011
  15. itsmydamnation

itsmydamnation Member

its likely an issue of capital for the NBN we are seeing the fruits of 120 POI's...............

16. Mjollnir

Mjollnir Member

Dear Simon,

Please dont let iinet fuck up internode's premium service quality. Kthx.

17. cbb1935

cbb1935 Guest

I've been with iiNet for about 6 years (from memory).

The speeds fluctuate a bit (between 4-5Mbit) but stability has been brilliant. Two outages in that time.

Seems very low to me that Internode was only worth $150million. I thought it was much larger than that.

Either way, iiNet now clearly #2 to only Telstra now!

18. qwertylesh

qwertylesh Member

been on iinet for about a year. theyre not terrible, but they dont have the reliability (in my current area) that I had with pigpond cable.

19. Nam Taf

Nam Taf Member

You don't do an M&A to simply leave the company alone. Node's plans will change and the premium service will erode (more) and it'll dissolve. Note for example that usenet has for some time now not been advertised as a feature of internode, so I hold no hope for that.

Here's hoping that process takes a while and buys me enough time until I can jump to the more level playing field of the NBN.

20. FiShy

FiShy Member

News just in old POTS network not has reliable as newer hybrid fiber coaxial network.