iiNet to acquire Internode

Discussion in 'Networking, Telephony & Internet' started by Agg, Dec 22, 2011.

1. Quan-Time

Quan-Time Member

Inode has usenet servers, steam servers, a great collection of game servers, GREAT tech support, and their plans are "reasonable". By no means best, but i accecpt a slight price hike per GB on their plans because of the extra stuff I just listed.

If all that goes, i can 100% say after 10+ years with inode, i will be leaving.

2. Wolfje

Wolfje Member

Haha, people on this forum are awesome.

People on Whirlpool are all OMFG INTERNODE FUCK MY LIFE@!!@!!@!@!112!@121221

Edit: Here, it's all chilled out, the most people are concerned about is how much drinking they are going to do on the weekend.

3. FiShy

FiShy Member

other then Usenet, IInet has the same?

4. randomman

randomman Member

Not interally. iiNet initially say nothing will change, then 6 months down the track they realise... "Why do we have two marketing teams? One for Internode and one for iiNet?... Lets just fire the Internode team and save money!"

Typically customer facing roles stay the same as with an increased customer base you still need the increased customer service.

5. broccoli

broccoli Member

Well, all this has done for me is to find out that those ponies are real. I thought they were imaginary ponies.

I've been wanting to change ISPs but I can't get organized enough to get my own email and change over my email addresses everywhere. :tired:

6. bart5986

bart5986 Member

Exactly, this is inevitable.

I guess it depends if you have a major problem with iinet or not, Internode is likely to to become the exact same service as iinet in the future, but that doesn't mean that Internode can't raise the standard of iinet.

7. KanIbL

KanIbL Member

There is one slight positive I can see for the area I live in (regional Vic) and that is iiNet put in some gear for naked internet in our DSLAM. However I'm behind a RIM so limited to a standard ADSL service.

Being behind a RIM is what made me move to Internode to begin with. All the other providers were overpriced and forcing me to pay more to go on an 8Mbit connection because of my location, where people down the road can pay less for ADSL2+ connections.

Then came another bonus to save me money when Internode offered a special bundle of line rental and 30GB net for $60 a month saving me on average about $25 a month. I'd hate to end up going backwards from this point so I'm just hoping and praying that they don't negatively alter the price points of my current plan.

Finally, I've had nothing but love from Internode and rightly so I love them back. They have been brilliant from the get go and have always quickly and positively responded to any questions. Again I hope nothing changes here and that I don't have to complain about becoming iiNternode.

8. thetron

thetron Member

disclaimer: Anything I say is backed up by public sources

This is a good thing.

Internode for the past 5-7 years been stuck because of recent growth over the two-three years the "technological challenges" have held them back. Which is potentially killing the company.

IINET really wants Agile communication because their tier 1 network, wireless services and DSLAM infrastructure. Another way to put it
    Agile is a Bone/Skelton which hold up Internode... Internode is just the outside skin and muscle

If you wanted to buy internode. You'd just buy agile communication

I could speculate that. The merger payout not exactly an advantage

The media reports have recently commented over the past couple of months. Simply Merge or Die!
    Someone choosen Merge!

Last edited: Dec 23, 2011
  9. Nikoy

Nikoy Member

iinet have done fine by me for all the years i have been with them.

I dont see how anyone can have a go at iinet as they are one of the few to have the balls to stick up for the end user when the copywrite giants start being a big bag of dicks.

the stood up and they did it with their own money.

10. rush

rush Member

What exactly do you you want explained?

11. tobes

tobes Member

The fact is the companies are very similar with the main differentiation being that iiNet was publically listed and thus more focussed on returns etc.

If you look at much of their philosophy towards broadband, the NBN etc you will see that the managements are well aligned. With the advent of the NBN last mile infrastructure becomes irrelevant and the focus moves towards value added services and backhaul and iiNet and Internode have both historically been good at these two things.

12. Brad7000

Brad7000 Member

How disappointing. :mad:

13. itsmydamnation

itsmydamnation Member

what are you talking about...... your making about as much sense as you do in the dating thread.

14. KIKIFQ

KIKIFQ Member

because it happened to all of us that were on netspace optus ports and it will happen again

15. Urbansprawl

Urbansprawl Member

Simon isn't capable of working for someone else - it is fundamentally incompatible with his personality. He will be gone in 12 months.

16. qwertylesh

qwertylesh Member

I know people like that >_>

17. itsmydamnation

itsmydamnation Member

depends how they "integrate" some companies like the one i work for its just best to let them function independently and just look for the savings from a scale perspective.

18. thetron

thetron Member

Simon doesn't just own Internode. He also runs a glider builder business which is on lvl3 of 150 Grenfelt St next to Internode HQ office

Simon tends to think of him as the Steve Jobs of the internets in Australia!

The current arrangement is IINET seems to be a majority shareholder/invester in Internode.

What I think will happen the call centres will be kept separate between the two company. However both company will share the same CRM

19. .Joel

.Joel Member

TBH I'm not upset by the merger, more the inconvenience of needing to migrate one of the services here. Anyway, such is life.

I've grow tired of Simon's ramblings anyway, Telstra got rid of Phil Burgess and there was a hole in the industry for a big mouth that blames everyone else, Simon managed to fill that hole and exceed the size of it in recent years. When Simon started spending more time blaming everyone else for his woes instead of himself the writing was on the wall.

Anyway....

I have an iiNET connection and and Internode connection, both Naked DSL running here so there's failover plus a 3G dongle in to the router as well just in case.

So far i'll keep the iiNET connection, and ditch the Internode connection for someone else. I want 2 complete separate entities on separate hardware for the connection, so i'll look at what other providers have equipment in the exchange and move over. I've still got two spare copper pairs here.

20. thetron

thetron Member

There was alot of broken promises inside the company when it came to his vision for the company from 3-4 years ago to present day

2008 the company went from 250 staff and that increase in 2010 to 400 staff. Mainly due to the company whoms moto is "love the internet" was being loved too much and additional staff were employed to fight the queues