iiNet to acquire Internode

Discussion in 'Networking, Telephony & Internet' started by Agg, Dec 22, 2011.

1. TheWedgie

TheWedgie Insert Custom Title Here

This. Although for me, really only usenet.

I do like the idea of iiNet's unmetered iTunes Store though - will make iTunes Match'ing my ~60Gb collection a bit easier on the download limit...

I'm also stuck on ADSL1, and my grandfathered plan is one of the few that actually have a decent value (50Gb for $49.95).

2. thetron

thetron Member

Its one of those plans which you can't be forced off. Your very lucky!

3. AgB deano

AgB deano Member

If people have a look at the Netspace website, I think they'll have a good reference as what to expect from this merger.

I am really interested to know whether they will keep all internode/agile infrastructure to have greater DSLAM access. Considering rack space is always a premium and an awful lot of exchanges have limited or no ports, I am sure it would be nice to offer iinet packages on free agile ports, vice versa, etc.

Long term, if this merger means another substantial competitor in the NBN scene, sounds good to me.

Are you sure the uploads aren't measured?

I was under the impression that telstra charges for all data on all non business plans.

It is a pretty good deal if you use the home phone heaps, just signed a family member onto it today.

Last edited: Dec 24, 2011
  4. IKT

IKT Member

Not the least because node isn't forcing customers off of plans anymore.

5. thetron

thetron Member

Both use the same type of Ericsson DSLAM. You simply can't combined them into a single rack because DSLAM are in fixed points inside of a telephone exchange

As I said before IINET want both Agile infrastructure more then the Internode customer base.

In some exchanges you can only have a one profitable 3rd party DSLAM provider.
    Eg if Adam Internet setups shop in one exchange, then it would be unprofitable and block out IINET/Internode and any other DSLAM provider

Unless you have that customer base

Last edited: Dec 24, 2011
  6. Ragnorak

Ragnorak Member

Hopefully it will kill it off. Though I'd be more than willing to put in my 5 cents worth to help it on it's way.

Can't say I'd miss seeing the fanbois descending like a screeching flock of seagulls on a chip when anyone was unfortunate enough to have a differing view on how greater Node was.

lmao. Maybe I should go and remind them that Node were going to force me off my plan and make me pay an extra $30 a month to keep my service at the same level I've become accustomed to. That was a 37% increase in pricing.

7. biatch

biatch Member

I'm not too sure what to think of it.
    Internode were probably iiNet's closest competitor so what will happen to pricing now that there's less competition?

But then if people weren't so focused on getting the cheapest link possible (and then later complaining when they find out what they've compromised on) then perhaps Internode wouldn't have been in financial difficulty to start with.

TPG has proved that people mostly just want the cheapest they can get... so what incentive do iiNet have to keep their service levels up?
    I've been with iiNet for many years and very rarely have any problems.

8. HunterBunter

HunterBunter Member

There are always 3 large groups in every market; those that want the cheapest possible price, those that want the highest quality/service, and those who have nfi what they're doing/going for but will eventually randomly pick something.

I think there's still incentive on being perceived as the best quality or service...there are still tons of other isps.

9. FiShy

FiShy Member

"iiNet's closest competitor" lol

IInet competes with TGP, telstra and Optus... internode was never competing .

10. biatch

biatch Member

From a user point of view, sure it was.

People who wanted the cheapest service went to TPG, people who wanted to pay a bit more for a better service went to iiNet or Internode.
    They were both a good option for people who didn't want a cheap shitty ISP, or a huge telco like Optus or Telstra.

11. trackhappy

trackhappy Member

It's amusing to see all the Internode diehards assume that because someone buys them the sky is falling. While I do share some of that concern (Internode was one of those ISPs which we wanted but couldn't have), it was bound to happen. Simon rested on his laurels too long.

12. biatch

biatch Member

Not sure if you're talking about me but I have never been an Internode customer - I'm with iiNet and can't see any good come from the buyout either. ;)

13. thetron

thetron Member

Both of us have worked for the same company and know that most ISP run barely profitable margins

There alot of smoke and mirror tricks by the company CEO/COO or MD too. In this instance with internode there been alot of bad decision and costing the company over the past two years

But then again. Its no difference to another ISP MD/CEO making bad decisions too :)

14. ddk

ddk (Banned or Deleted)

I left iiNet for Internode.

This puts me in a very awkward position at company BBQ's.

15. thetron

thetron Member

lol your the web designer that node 'approached'

FYI: There were post on wp about you!

Last edited: Dec 31, 2011
  16. qwertylesh

qwertylesh Member

he probably prefers the term poached ;)

17. ddk

ddk (Banned or Deleted)

Erm, I meant as a customer; it was a joke.

I am not the web designer you are looking for; move along.

18. MR CHILLED

MR CHILLED D'oh!

"Interode takeover boosts iiNet's profit "

http://www.adelaidenow.com.au/busin...ts-iinets-profit/story-e6frede3-1226451693380

19. thetron

thetron Member

Like I've always stated. Iinet had purchased internode for their profitable business customers base and international agile communication "tier 1" network.service.

Retail customers are just a marketing tool thats non profitable

20. Primüs

Primüs Member

Working for a wholesale ISP most the ISP's we service, DSL is there bread and butter. Keeps the lights on. These business really move forward in their managed services, business services and voice billing (PSTN/VoIP/Mobile).

However for us, our retail user base is the most profitable as the wholesale network is mostly paid for by the other ISP's and we just run our retail network on it =)