I'm done with SSD until they are more reliable.

Discussion in 'Storage & Backup' started by Falls, Feb 12, 2013.

1. Kurosaki

Kurosaki Member

I read it was more of a case that Intel had the resources to custom re-write the firmware from the ground up and that's why they were so late into the game with their Sandforce based SSD.

2. power

power Member

Good mate of mine works in an RMA dept for a very large retail store who stock many, many SSD's - he said the return rate on OCZ is quite high. This is what I based my opinion off.

If the odds are not in your favour, why gamble?

3. fileant

fileant Member

Yeah a return rate of 50% or whatever it was, is crazy. I would use the current return rate as a guide now, if it is still high then there you go.

Sorry i should have said "with" not "for". If it was related to Trim specifications changing then it is could be bad luck on Sandforces part (but they still should not have released it) and OCZ was caught in the cross fire. Sometimes people just jump the gun to get new products out and it causes problems.

4. ADV

ADV Member

AHhhh I just like to point out Intel did not do their homework with the Intel 520, even with all their testing. Mines dead after 4 months and I took huge steps to eliminate any unwanted read/writes.

They are complaining on intels on forum:

5. fileant

fileant Member

That is why I have marvel based ssd's. ;oP

For 520 Intel removed a sandforce on chip data safety check and also removed provisioning. (according to tom)

510 is OK

Still I have a 520 at work... so better back it up. I told them to get 510, lol

Edit: I just read the Sandfarce quote, yes this is what I thought. The thing is, if he put on Intels drivers (or even did a windows update to get microsofts) I think he would find that the sleep problems are probably fixed. Intel adjusts the sleep states for drives that do not cope well with Sandy Bridge+ sleeping the bus.

Only high end drives with super capacitors can cope with sudden power failures. Some of the more advanced Intel buses behavior looks like a power failure/brownout to some drives (so eventually, "they panic").

Just switching off your PC is not an unexpected power loss, as the drive will get the warning from the 5v line going. Unplugging a drive may result in an unexpected power loss (p.s. it may get warning from the way the sata plug slides out, I don't know enough about it, maybe 5v slides off first).

Last edited: Apr 19, 2013
  6. redslert

redslert Member

All the Kingston we use a work are great.
    I personally use Crucial with no issues.

7. Gonadman2

Gonadman2 Member

Bugger, I just installed an Intel 520 in my old man's Commercial Fishing Vessel PC. This machine is super critical as all of the nav and plotting functions run through it, I was just trying to improve the power footprint as it runs on 24V. Now I have to start looking for another drive.

8. fileant

fileant Member

It will probably be fine. Just update the drivers and stuff.

To get "bullet proof" you would have to get what intel replaced the 320 with. i.e. the expensive commercial drives with capacitor backup.

I bet they fixed the 320, but the early ones had a chance of going loopy and the capacitors or the logic around them actually caused some failures, something like that.

Last edited: Apr 19, 2013
  9. Gonadman2

Gonadman2 Member

The Samsung 840 Pro's look more than reasonable as a replacement. I've only had it a week and I would just throw the 520 into my work PC.

10. Deanodriver

Deanodriver Member

If I'm honest, I'm surprised Intel are using a third party controller in their SSDs, rather than designing their own.

11. akoli

akoli Member

SSD

I just had my Gskill Falcon die without warning ... damned if I can find the receipt must be close to two years.... temporarily installed windows to an old 7200 drive and it is noticeable slower ... waiting on my Samsung 840 Pro from MSY ( bought on wednesday still not posted !! ) then see if that is any more reliable....

thing is totally dead ... my computer is on 24/7 , turned it off to update some system files and she never came back to life.... install bootmgr error and it doesnt actually show in the bios no matter what port I try to attach it to ... intel chipset or other one ... I would have at least liked some warning like SMART system or at least some odd behaviour but alas was running perfect and then nope gone... so lesson here never turn off your PC....

should be an improvement in performance with Gskill v Samsung 840 Pro though isnt there.

12. fileant

fileant Member

Check with GSkill, if it was just the sector zero, partition sector that got messed, or the drive locked itself, you might be able to follow a special procedure to get the drive to recover.

Also, BootItNG from a DVD might be able to recover a partition. Sorry BootItBM.
    Maybe try to plug it into USB.

Last edited: Apr 29, 2013
  13. akoli

akoli Member

SSD RIP

Thanks I'll look in to that soonish (am doing gardening stuff in my free time so I have somewhere to lock the kids ) ie not able to give it much time .. would like to recover some of my system configs and a couple of lists but apart from that had everything else backed up... I had a good look for the receipt and checked G skill site and they recommend to power cycle 3 times over an hour and see if that unlocks (assuming it was locked) , but my understanding is the controller has cacked it ... saw someone mention boot to linux but if Bios doesnt see it to initialise how would linux or any other boot O/S be able to ... or does it do magically things beyond my understanding... would be great if I was wrong, getting to that age that all these young kids know more than me... I used to be that kid !!

If anyone had any luck then I'm open to give it a go... actually have a couple of spare laptops would it slot in to the SATA slots in them without any adaptors ... been years since I opened one up to remove the drive.

PS I did try an external dock and nothing (although its a vantec dock and it is a piece of sh!t doesnt initialise in windows properly all the time and I cant find the driver I sourced when I bought it , was white one from MSY, they provide drivers for XP and windows 98 )

Last edited: Apr 29, 2013
  14. fileant

fileant Member

I have never had to do it, but this is for the M4, which people seem to try on forums with some success, but it may work for other ssds...
    (I assume the 30mins gives the SSD time to run a diagnostic or untangle damage from a bad firmware or something. or maybe it is time to allow loading up a bad capacitor.)

You plug it in like normal, sit in the bios for 30 mins, then ctrl+alt+del
    If no worky, turn off, plug it in without the sata, sit in the bios for 30 mins, then turn off, plug in sata, turn on (or maybe plug in sata without turning machine off).
    If no luck then dead ssd.

or like he said try it a few times

If you have a backup, I would not worry, just RMA.

15. glasswindow

glasswindow Member

I just had the 5000 hours bug on my M4, all i had to do was DL the firmware update disk and boot from it. Easy as hell to fix and it did not wipe the drive

16. akoli

akoli Member

SSD

Had a play around last night and I could get the Falcon to show in the bios when the jumper is plugged in but no luck getting the wipe and firmware upgrade to take.... searching for similar errors on google seemed to suggest a change in bios settings to IDE from AHCI ... tried both and still no luck ...grabbed a boot image so will burn that and try from command prompt the fact that it is showing at all is a plus... samsung 840 pro received and made a start setting that up... no porbs whatsoever and 5 year warranty is more like it for something that has no moving parts... given that USB flash drives are lifetime (fair use wear n tear etc) 2 years seems a bit shit to be honest..... and for them to die with no warning.

17. ItsDanK

ItsDanK Member

The only drives I've ever had problems with were my first two OCz SSD's and then after that, no issues. These days there's plenty more risk going for a HDD rather than SSD for an OS drive.

18. leebaldock

leebaldock Member

I didn't read any of the thread but your initial post so my response is based on that.

1. I know your feeling man and feel your pain!

2. The most annoying thing is the SSD evangalists that quote lots of statistics and brands and other wank about how awesome SSD's are and how they've never had an issue. :).

My first two SSDs gave me a very bad taste in my mouth. One died after 3 months. The other after about 6 months.

I cracked the shits. Whinged on OCAU. Cracked even more shits with the evangalists then tried one more time with a Crucial M4 as primary drive in a system I built at Xmas 2011/2012. It's still going strong (TOUCH WOOD).

3. To beat Murphy's law I've done the following.

I've set up from day one Acronis True Image Home Backup to do a daily backup to a 3GB HDD.

I also have a 500 GB Seagate Momentus XT sitting in my cupboard ready to go for when (not if) it fails.

As well as a NAS for all my documents which backs up to another NAS.

As well as another NAS for all my iTunes and media crap.

Also most of my email accounts are IMAP now.

4. I've had great experiences with the Seagate Momentus XT Hybrid drives. I've got one in my Clevo P150EM laptop and another in my HTPC. Found them to be the best bang for buck for good amount of storage and speed at a good price.

See ya :)

19. EuroSlave

EuroSlave Member

oh man i got a vertex 4 because I hate myself

i think it's been 3 months

I just had 2 500 gig seagate hdds die on me that I bought in 2008

if the ssd lasts 2 years i'll be happy

20. fileant

fileant Member

umm I have 3 XT momentous, and I thought they were great until I realized they wiped 512 chunks without any indication or failure. Latest firmware seems stable, but they spin all day and all night... to stop the chunk wipes.

Now I only use them for backup. Too honest to sell them.

p.s. If anyone does want one or more let me know and I will put em in the sales area... They are fine, not used much.

Last edited: May 1, 2013