I'm going to see the world

Discussion in 'Holidays & Travel' started by eyeLikeCarrots, Aug 26, 2013.

1. redslert

redslert Member

Do not go to Cancun... or don't stay there for more than 1 day.

2. OP
    OP
    eyeLikeCarrots

eyeLikeCarrots Member

Jerk pork... jerk chicken.... they jerk everything in this country. Beans and rice with everything.

The patties are particularly good, its like a flat pastie.

So much great fruit....

I did have a fall from grace and eat burger king.... SO MUCH better than in the US or AU.

3. OP
    OP
    eyeLikeCarrots

eyeLikeCarrots Member

Message received and understood. Was pretty much my intention anyway as I suspected it was a bit of a shit hole.

Wish I could go to Cuba :-(

4. OP
    OP
    eyeLikeCarrots

eyeLikeCarrots Member

Greetings from Mexico....Cancun as discussed.

Staying in downtown, apparently the 'real mexico'...not the whitewashed concrete shithole that the locals call the 'hotel area'.

Went to a Jamacia beach party on my 2nd last night in Ohco Rios and got back at 3:30am. Sleep at 4 and up again at 6am to catch a 7am bus.

Very sad to leave Jamaica but a whole world awaits, starting with mexico.

In a kind of awkward turn of events I picked a hostel thats in the Macixan equivalent of Oxford Street....... lolz, I hope I get out with my arse intact.

5. OP
    OP
    eyeLikeCarrots

eyeLikeCarrots Member

Greetings from Panama City.

I'm getting a bit tired of Spanish and diarrhoea.

The Panama canal was kind of cool.

6. schmoove

schmoove Member

waiting on an update ^-^

7. remi

remi Member

I haven't read every post in the thread, but seems like you're travelling really fast. You've got 12 months right? I've just come back from 15 months travelling starting in Canada and heading South to the bottom of Argentina. Looks like you blitzed through Central America in about 1 month. Not into Scuba Diving? Great time to be there for it or learn.

Got a blog here and can be sorted by Country:
    toraadventure.wordpress.com

South America is brilliant. Some great stuff in Colombia, Ecuador and Peru. Make sure you learn about the Blue Dollar in Argentina before you get there.

Last edited: Jan 25, 2015
  8. OP
    OP
    eyeLikeCarrots

eyeLikeCarrots Member

Well, its about time for an update.

Summary - yes I'm travelling pretty fast and making decisions to miss some of the things that people say you have to visit.

Ecuador - camera and computer stolen on a bus. Rookie mistake, put my bag in the overhead because under the seat infront of me was packed with someone else's shit, didn't want to put it under my seat as it would be totally out of sight. Lesson learnt, always without exception put your bloody bag on your lap or on the floor with your feet and strap wrapped around a leg.

Visited Quito, landed at the airport and got altitude sickness... not super bad but it was kind of shitty. Visited a museum and the equatorial line just north of the city, got a GPS pic of 0'00" which was pretty cool.

Peru - travelled by bus from southern Ecuador to norther Peru, I decided to stay down near the coast and spent a few days in Mancora which is the Latin American Bali and then a few days in a beach down in the middle of Peru called Huanachco.. tried surfing... shit is hard yo

Flew from Lima to Cusco, got bad altitude sickness, got put on the medication that helped but made by fingers, feet and arse numb for a week. Got to visit Machu Picchu after 5 days.... amazing experience.

Bolivia - Flew from Cusco to La Paz for $100 USD.... La Paz is even higher than Cusco so got bad altitude sickness again. Visited Lake Titicaca/Copacobana, was pretty cool but it rained like a mofo and there was lightning..... didn't visit Isle del Sol which is pretty amazing by all accounts. La Paz is a bit of a messy shithole but I'm sure there are worse places in the world.

Flew from La Paz to northern Chile, city called Antofagasta which was pretty nice... I got all excited to see a dual-lane dual carriageway road.... a real sign of development! Spent some time in Santiago which is a really nice city and Valperiso which is a filthy dirty craphole.... saw a guy walking down the road stop ont he footpath, drop his pants and pinch a loaf before pulling his pants back up and staggering on.

Currently in Punta Arenas in southern Chile. Leaving from here on Saturday for the Falklands Islands for a week and then back here before taking off for my final two and a half weeks in south america... Argentina from its southern most city Ushuaia and up to Buenos Aires.

--> Insurance took three weeks to payout on the stolen camera and laptop so I now have a computer again, will recommence blogging while in the Falklands.

--> The trip from cape town to St Helena and Ascension Island in the Atlantic is sorted so I should be flying into the UK form Ascension on the 9th April.

So tired......

9. millsy_c

millsy_c Member

That sounds awesome, thanks for the update!!

10. redslert

redslert Member

That sucks.
    You live to learn.

I'm always scared of that happening to me and hug my bag on public transport.
    Did you have to get police report and stuff for insurance?

11. OP
    OP
    eyeLikeCarrots

eyeLikeCarrots Member

Yep - went to see the cops, the guy behind the counter was more interested in oggling my iPhone6 rather than helping me get sorted with the police report.

Insurance took 3 weeks to come through... but at least they came through.

Leaving for Falkland islands tomorrow morning... looking forward to having my own room and toilet instead of staying in a hostel.

12. OP
    OP
    eyeLikeCarrots

eyeLikeCarrots Member

Well the Falklands were great, the capital And only actual town Stanley is like an English village filled with people who hate Argentina.

I'm now in Ushuia in Argentina, they say its the southernmost city in the world and they love calling it the End of the World.

13. OP
    OP
    eyeLikeCarrots

eyeLikeCarrots Member

Greetings from Cape Town, South Africa

I'm recovering from 40 something hours in airports and planes.

Buenos Aires to Cape Town was 20500 kms and it honestly sucked balls....

I have 5 days here and then its on the boat and off to St Helena and Ascension Island before flying to the UK.

14. OP
    OP
    eyeLikeCarrots

eyeLikeCarrots Member

The UK was great, stayed at my cousin's place in east london and crept around the city a bit.

I'm now in Iceland.... if f'ing cold here but the people are great.

15. millsy_c

millsy_c Member

Awesome! I would like to visit there one day. If you find yourself in Amsterdam throw me a message and we might be able to organise a beer or something :thumbup:

16. OP
    OP
    eyeLikeCarrots

eyeLikeCarrots Member

I'll be there in a couple of weeks I think mate, if possible it would be great to catch up.

17. schmoove

schmoove Member

How was St Helena and Ascension Island?

18. OP
    OP
    eyeLikeCarrots

eyeLikeCarrots Member

St Helena was regrettably only brief but I did as much as I could in the time... visited the house where Napoleon died and also his gravesite.

We pulled into the distillery and got fucking half legless on the local spirit made out of cactus.

I went down Jacobs ladder and it near fucking killed me... screw even thinking about trying to get up.

The accent of the people is very fucking hard to understand but I found it really amusing that they did come off a bit kiwi (six - sucks).

Its not really a thing but I feel very lucky and proud to have visited St Helena before the airport is put into service, the boat trip from Cape Town was a real privilege (omfg the food and the cheeseboard after every meal....) and I was lucky to not get any bad south atlantic sea the whole time.

----

Ascension island in comparison is totally surreal. Its bascially a moon scape with an airport, a shitload of radio ariels and some buildings and shit. You have to go prepared with cash so you dont get screwed on the lack of an atm. You can do visa withdrawals from the post office/bank sub-agent.

The video and clothing store is open a couple of days a month for a few hours.

The only place to stay that is honestly practical is the Obsidian Hotel... 75 quid a night and you get the only thing you really need (aircon). You can rent cars for real cheap but I reccomend the 4wd available from the Obsidian (its cheap) instead of the shitty little hyandai run abouts.

There is a mountain in the middle of the island... the drive up there is great and the foilage and temperature are wonderful compared to the lowland. There is an amazing old pub/barracks called the Red Lion up on the hill too.

Seeing turtles come ashore and lay eggs was fairly fucking cool too... I missed out on seeing baby turtles get out and make for the sea.

Drinking is the local past time after fishing and diving, grog is tax free like on St Helena and the Falklands (no VAT on British overseas territories I think).

If anyone is interested I'll put some images up on OCAU Pics.

Also.... between getting form cape town to st helena, ascension, london.. accomodation and shit I think I spent about 6 grand or so.... shit is expensive yo

19. millsy_c

millsy_c Member

Sounds amazing, would love to see the pics!