1. OCAU Merchandise is available! Check out our 20th Anniversary Mugs, Classic Logo Shirts and much more! Discussion in this thread.
    Dismiss Notice

I'm not a science guy, but this sounds like bullshit to me

Discussion in 'Science' started by rickbishop, Nov 29, 2020.

1. rickbishop

rickbishop Member

I saw a new bug catcher in Bunnings the other day, and it caught my eye, because it's supposed to create CO2, in addition to using UV light and heat to attract insects. This would be great for mosquitos, but from some brief readings, their explanation on how it works seem like bullshit, and I'm hoping that more knowledgeable people than me can either confirm my understanding of it, or at least tell me I'm a dickhead and it's legit.

To quote:

Everything I've read said that the photocatalyst process between the Titanium Dioxide and UV light produces hydroxyl radicals, but I haven't seen anything about it being an endless source of CO2.

2. Schred

Schred Member

Having used mosquito traps based on the same principle, I can tell you that it doesn’t work. They catch huge quantities of moths, but very few mozzies... unless you add CO2. A little bottle of yeast fermenting away and producing some CO2 significantly improves performance... so I’d say their CO2 “synthesis” either doesn’t work at all, or produces such minute quantities of CO2 that it’s a useless gimmick.

In any case, if the photocatalyst works so well, why do my mozzie traps have a connector for a CO2 bottle?

3. Phalanx

Phalanx Member

A mosquito would have to be sitting on top of another bug to even notice the CO2 being released by it's decomposing body.

The science was actually invented to reduce the amount of CO2 in the atmosphere using TiO2, you can use it to turn CO2 into methanol. But it works so poorly that no one has ever adopted it. Apparently they've found a way to create CO2 using UV (I know there's something about different energy levels doing different things, hard to find an article that's not written in sciencese about it).