imac 27" 2011 ssd upgrade

Discussion in 'Apple Desktop Hardware/Software' started by Nukeyb0i, Jan 24, 2019.

1. Nukeyb0i

Nukeyb0i Member

My dads imac is starting to get slow so thought id upgrade it to an ssd for him, after a bit of google i had more questions than answers lol.(most info seems old aswell)

Basically im not sure on this temp sensor thing, if i just swap out the stock hdd for a consumer ssd seems like itll work but cause the fans to spazz out due to the proprietary bs.

I see some products from owc like cables and their own ssd's. But im unsure whats best.

Can anybody point me in the right direction, whats the easiest approach?

2. 3Toed

3Toed Member

I did this several years ago by adding an OWC SSD but I left the original 1TB HDD in there. No sensor issues that way. Then I just cloned the OS from the HDD to the SSD.

Slightly digressing here but one thing to be aware of with the 2011 iMacs is the video card in them (AMD 6970m) has a tendency to die so you might not want to spend too much on upgrading it since the machine could die at any moment. It could go on for years, too. It's just so random. Mine died for the 3rd time recently and I'm considering sending it to place to get re-balled properly rather than doing the bake trick again.

[KEi]SoVeReIgN likes this.
  3. Sir Didymus

Sir Didymus Member

4. digamma

digamma Member

I know I'm late to the party here, but I just did this to a mid-2010 27" imac. Except I went down the path of creating a fusion drive and it's made a massive difference. I had to buy a cradle that takes a standard 2.5" ssd and replaces the optical drive. First thing to do was create a complete time machine backup as creating a fusion drive involves wiping both drives to create a single volume. The backup then gets restored after making the fusion drive volume. The longest part was backing up the gigabytes of stuff over a usb 2 connected external hdd. The great part about this, so far, is that it will store commonly used files on the ssd portion of the volume and the existing hdd is still used for bulk storage.

3Toed likes this.