iMac Nvidia GT 650M 512mb graphics

Discussion in 'Apple Desktop Hardware/Software' started by glenpinn, Apr 22, 2013.

1. glenpinn

glenpinn Member

hi, i am going to be buying a 2 month old late 2012 21.5" iMac with applecare from a lady here in hobart for $1200, which has the 2.9ghz i5 3470s ivy bridge cpu with the HD2500 graphics + 8gb ram + Nvidia GT 650M 512mb graphics chip.

http://www.everymac.com/systems/app...-i5-2.9-27-inch-aluminum-late-2012-specs.html

i will be installing Windows 7 (possibly windows 8 to test it out) and i am just curious what sort of performance one of these GT-650m graphics chips can deliver in gaming.

i will be using this iMac myself (with win 7) until later this year when i will be sending it to my son in melb for his editing work at uni (thats if he wants it) and he sometimes still does some gaming when he gets some time, but nothing very intense.

i know its not very good, but will it be ok performance wise.

ALSO, how does the HD2500 and GT-650m graphics in this iMac works, does it witch between both like in some laptops depending on usage, because the HD2500 on the cpu will do for normal every day use, including video editing, where as the GT-650m would be used in gaming etc.

cheers

Last edited: Apr 22, 2013
  2. ben333_333

ben333_333 Member

3. OP
    OP
    glenpinn

glenpinn Member

thx for the link, however i do use that site to check out the technical info about products, but in this case i prefer to hear first hand from members who may have had some experience with this chip.

its one thing to read links, but it does not offer an insight into real world performance.

cheers.

4. ben333_333

ben333_333 Member

It's the same GPU as in a retina macbook pro isn't it? Maybe try some reviews of MBPr with scaled resolutions? I think the Anandtech MBPr review did scaled resolution and performance results, etc.

My missus has a MBPr and it's awesome with general web stuff, but haven't tried any games on it.

5. s4mmy

s4mmy Member

I have a 15" MBPr and i game in bootcamp Win7.

Battlefield 3 runs ok.
    SimCity (new one) is fine.

Dont expect clean and crisp at max res.
    I usually dumb my resolution down for smooth game play.

6. OP
    OP
    glenpinn

glenpinn Member

ok, i guess i should have mentioned that my son currently has his late 2011 15" MBP (i7/8gb/1tb hdd) with dual graphics (Amd HD 6750M 512mb + Intel HD3000) so would it be close to, or better than that.

he currently uses that in his room at his swinburne aparment with a new 24" LG led screen he picked up at centrecom a few weeks ago.

he has Win 7 on that MBP for some gaming when he gets time and he says it is fine, however his MBP is 1440x900 and the LG screen is 1920x1080 so he may bump the resolution down while on that screen.

he seems happy using the MBP now he has the big screen, but im sure he prefers an iMac for mainstram desktop use, so thats one reason why i want to get this near new iMac, plus its going for $750 off the retail cost to buy it new at JB HiFI where the lady bought it from.

7. s4mmy

s4mmy Member

How about we cut to the chase...

What exactly do you want to play?
    What are your concerns?

8. OP
    OP
    glenpinn

glenpinn Member

i dont want to play anything, i was asking about gaming with that GT-650m for when my son gets the iMac later in the year.

im not real sure of the games he does play, some of the steam ones, WOW, but i could ask him if i need to.

a comparison level to the 6750m in his MBP might answer things for me a bit better, as he seems fine with gaming on that MBP with his 24" screen.

my guess would have been that the GT-650m is better than the 6750m given its a newer card, but hey, im no expert so i just needed to ask.

9. Renza

Renza Member

http://www.notebookcheck.net/AMD-Radeon-HD-6750M.43958.0.html
    http://www.notebookcheck.net/NVIDIA-GeForce-GT-650M.71887.0.html

compare benchmark results...

In windows, the GT650M is always in use. in OS X, it auto switches between the two GPUs.

10. OP
    OP
    glenpinn

glenpinn Member

looks like the GT-650m (lower class 1) is pretty much better than the 6750m (middle class 2) according to your links, so the iMac should be ok for his gaming needs in Win 7 if this is the case.

thats crap, should be switching in windows as well :(

Last edited: Apr 23, 2013
  11. ~Coxy

~Coxy Member

Why does it matter? It's plugged into the wall, there is no battery to worry about.

12. OP
    OP
    glenpinn

glenpinn Member

what do you mean its plugged into the wall ?

in the case of the iMac yes it runs on mains power only, the switching graphics i was referring to has nothing to do with AC or battery power usage, its about using the appropriate graphics for a given task and switching between them depending on graphics requirements.

with the iMac in question, the HD2500 graphics on the cpu should run any non demanding application, and switch to the GT-650m when the need arises, such as in games.

if your using a laptop with dual graphics, as in my sons MBP, regardless if he is gaming on mains power or battery power it will switch from the HD3000 to the 6750m graphics.

Last edited: Apr 23, 2013
  13. Madengineer

Madengineer Member

It still uses more power. Why use the dedicated graphics when all you're doing is browsing.

I thought all 6** series cards had switchable graphics when coupled with ivy cpus.

14. OP
    OP
    glenpinn

glenpinn Member

exactly, this is why some laptops/macbooks etc have dual graphics so the cpu graphics runs all non demanding stuff and it switched to dedicated when the demand is needed, it has nothing to do with power usage, even my sons MBP switched to 6750m graphics in gaming even while on battery.

yes i think thats how it works, least in the Macs.

i guess this is the way it works with the new iMacs that are running the lower end intel HD2500 graphics with the nvidia GT-650m graphics.

15. Madengineer

Madengineer Member

Oh yeah, also, I'm not sure how similar, but my laptop runs a 645M, and it's performance is quite good. IMO. It runs BF3 at 1920*1080 with everything max (Apart from AA or something like that) and in intense scenes (Lots of players driving/blowing shit up etc) fps is about 25, otherwise it's around 45. Average I'd say is about 30-35.

16. [KEi]SoVeReIgN

[KEi]SoVeReIgN Member

Are you sure the iMac even has or uses a HD2500? I'm pretty sure it doesn't do any switching and will only ever use the 650M.

Apple don't list a HD2500 on their specs anywhere?? Why would they bother using switching in the desktop? The only point of it is to save power and it's completely insignificant when plugged into the wall.

17. skootyloops

skootyloops Member

The iMac doesn't do any switching whatsoever. Always on the 650 (or any other 6xx graphics different imacs have).

There is no use for switching on an imac so Apple have not implemented it in a desktop machine.

18. OP
    OP
    glenpinn

glenpinn Member

ok well thanks for that info guys.

i looked up the specific cpu that this iMac uses (ivy bridge i5 3470s cpu) and it has got the intel HD2500 on board, and i assumed that if there was on cpu graphics and dedicated graphics, it would run in switchable mode.

cheers

btw if that cpu has got HD2500 cpu, how does it get disabled in the iMac so the GT-650m only gets used.

19. Renza

Renza Member

probably some setting (non-user accessible) in the EFI. same as how you can disable onboard graphics on any z77 (and possibly other) motherboards

20. skootyloops

skootyloops Member

Most likely it would be disabled via the EFI. Potentially Apple may have purchased chips with a non functioning GPU which would save money and have no impact on the end user.