1. Win some Crucial goodies in OCAU's Christmas Treasure Hunt!
    Dismiss Notice

Importing 100+ LiFePo4 batteries from China

Discussion in 'Electronics & Electrics' started by DeejW, Sep 13, 2018.

1. DeejW

DeejW Member

Hi folks,

I am building an electric car, Celica RA28 ground up rebuild and twin 9" motors (build thread soon coming).

I am looking at importing 101 3.2v 100AH LiFePo4 batteries from China. I know there is import charges and GST but I'm wondering if someone has done something similar has been hit with any additional charges.

The reason for doing this is local suppliers basically want double for the same thing!

2. Technics

Technics Member

It varies with the delivery method chosen. Assuming it's over $1K worth, your basic charges are shipping, insurance, duty and GST. Duty applies to the cost of the goods. GST applies to everything else (shipping, insurance and even the duty). If you use a full service carrier then the cost of things like customs brokerage are usually built into the shipping cost. For large orders it might be cheaper to import them yourself but then you have to deal with things like Incoterms (which define what parts of the process the seller and the buyer are responsible for) and arranging your own freight forwarder/customs broker which is frankly a shit thing to deal with unless you are moving volumes of freight. The shipping is way cheaper but everyone charges a fee and needs various documents from each other. It should be cheaper overall for large shipments.

DeejW likes this.
  3. th3_hawk

th3_hawk Member

That's a lot of batteries. Am I reading correctly that they are in the area of $250ea?

4. Mathuisella

Mathuisella Member

Looking forward to the build thread/ worklog :)

5. th3_hawk

th3_hawk Member

Yes! I'm interested to see how it all goes together. I looked into building an electric car a few (many) years back but quickly came to the conclusion that the $1,000's I would invest would buy one hell of a lot of fuel.

6. OP
    OP
    DeejW

DeejW Member

Thanks for the info and interest. The raw price of the batteries is $57 USD per unit for a bulk order of 101 units. However the things Technics mentioned are quite daunting but I might give it a crack given the money that will be saved. For those interested here are the proposed specs of the build;

Celica 1977 RA28 GT Liftback aka the 'mini mustang' will be fully restored, widebodied and modernised in Gunmetal grey with black GT stripes
    1x Warp 9 motor and 1x transwarp 9 motor in a siamese configuration
    Direct drive to a 9" rear LSD
    Zilla 2k motor controller with series parallel motor switching
    32kwh LiFePo4 battery pack in 2 seperate battery boxes (1 under bonnet 1 in boot)
    R32 brake caliper upgrade
    Rack & pinion upgrade

Total budget is 35k but hopefully I can come in under that as I don't have that much money yet but as it's a long term project I will be building and buying parts as I can afford them. Battery pack will be one of the final stages but I am planning ahead as far as possible to get the best deals.

fredhoon likes this.
  7. paulvk

paulvk Member

Go here and ask http://forums.aeva.asn.au/index.php?sid=15e1e7d95651342fdc97427358aaf71f
    As far as importing goes
    Fees>
    gate fee
    GST
    re-engineering fee
    delivery fee
    customs agent fee
    clearance fee
    maybe hazard's goods fee
    and if some bug in where they come from fumigation fee
    can be up to 14 charges plus the transport cost which is added before and gst is charged on
    So yes 2 x the price here because maybe 40% is gov fees

DeejW likes this.
  8. OP
    OP
    DeejW

DeejW Member

Yeah thought as much, just ridiculous amount of crap to go through. I think I will just wait til I have everything else on the car ready beside batteries and then order locally, hopefully by that time the price has come down a bit. I have access to a heap of usable ex UPS gel batteries for testing so that will get me started at least.

9. Sunder

Sunder Member

Here's my import fees: Sorry about the small print.

Hope it helps.

upload_2018-9-18_17-28-3.png

TLDR: On a set of batteries worth 1436.55, I paid $178.33 GST (Including for the freight), $71.82 in duty (5%), and a flat $83 in "Other charges" which apparently don't scale, and an additional $75 for the privilege of having this bill calculated for me (not on bill).

Attached Files:

10. bleckers

bleckers Member

The $83 there is the standard customs charge for air freight under 10k.

11. Sunder

Sunder Member

Ah thanks.

12. OP
    OP
    DeejW

DeejW Member

So for those interested the worklog/blog for the project is here: www.cel28ev.com.au you can subscribe to updates on the homepage. I am leaning towards a local supplier EV Works in Perth for batteries who is going to give me a great price as I will getting most parts from them. Deposit has been placed on dual warp9 and Powerglide 2 speed transmission. The car needs some rust repairs and restoration then repaint before getting to the electric side. Will slowly but surely get this back on the road and then the track.