Improvements in Mini hardware?

Discussion in 'Apple Desktop Hardware/Software' started by mitsimonsta, Mar 19, 2008.

1. mitsimonsta

mitsimonsta Member

Hi Macaphiles;

I am a PC guy, but take care of a number of Macs at work. These are due for replacement soon.

Boss wants to go for Mini's all round. That said, I like to get maximum bang for my IT buck.

My main question is: When do we expect a CPU push down in the Mini line (ie from current 1.83Ghz& 2Ghz to 2Ghz & 2.**Ghz)??

Are there any plans (rumours) for any other improvements? 2GB RAM standard?

Cheers

2. skootyloops

skootyloops Member

Last I heard about the Mac Mini was that its rumored to be hitting EOL, and been replaced by something else.

Since your buying in bulk, you could get a few faster T7xxx cpu's and put them in the mini's yourself.

Though I have the 1.83ghz, and its more then fast enough for general office work. May I ask what your planning to run on them?

3. OP
    OP
    mitsimonsta

mitsimonsta Member

Thanks for the heads up on EOL Skooty, that is REALLY interesting. Definitely turns me off a bit.

We currently have 1x G5 unit in production, one C2D 1.83Ghz with me for testing. Will run Office 2008, a number of Citrix Apps that are Win32 based, Firefox, Thunderbird, etc etc.

They will also be folding, so any extra CPU grunt will be worthwhile.

4. almghty

almghty Member

Very unlikely they will be EOL.

Jobs gave them a refresh last August? 07.

And its rumoured to get another refresh soon. Its their entry enticement point for users from the MS world.

They have nothing else in their lineup for you to get a 'taste' of the Apple way.

If nothing else he might vamp up the case, thinner perhaps because of penryn chips so less heat.

5. dracoMJB

dracoMJB Member

I'm waiting to see if they're going to get a refresh or something new to replace them. I need to replace my 1st Gen Mac Mini.

6. bugayev

bugayev Whammy!

Word is, it'll be a refresh. Not sure what yet, but that's what the rumours are saying at the moment.

And, given the accuracy of rumours recently, I'd be putting some weight behind them.