In the lab

Discussion in 'The Gallery' started by MCWB, Feb 8, 2009.

1. MCWB

MCWB Member

A few scientific shots, lots more abstract than my usual stuff, any C&C gladly received!

1. Adding the brown solution of iron(III) chloride to a solution of potassium oxalate forms the fluoro green trisoxalatoferrate(III) ion:

[​IMG]

2. Aluminium pieces dissolve when heated in concentrated potassium hydroxide to form hydrogen gas and the tetrahydroxoaluminate(III) ion. The aluminium was sourced from aluminium cans, the black colour is due to the plastic coatings corroding.

[​IMG]

3. Quantitative transfer of the solution in photo 2 from a beaker to a Buechner funnel:

[​IMG]

4. Dismantled filtration apparatus, with yellow 2-nitrophenacetin on the filter paper in the Buechner funnel.

[​IMG]

5. Starch gives a distinct blue-black colour in the presence of iodine:

[​IMG]

2. alex1marsh2

alex1marsh2 Member

beakers people!.....beakers!!
    sorry had a scrubs moment;)

3. buism

buism Member

I think the best shot is #2, I know it's out of your control, but that beaker needs to be cleaner :tongue:
    #3 could have benefited from a decrease in DOF, but that's just me.

The other shots IMO are cluttered or not interesting.

Nonetheless, brings back memories of high school, and the Sodium experiments, and the paraffin wax one, prolly my two favourites. :p

Last edited: Feb 8, 2009
  4. Zac88

Zac88 Member

oh how this brings back memories of chemistry. I hated buchner funnels so much.

5. xhanatos

xhanatos Member

i took two years of IB chemistry and i can't remember jack shit.. thanks for the memories though :) i remember spending weeks trying to remember the organic chem nomenclature.. what a huge waste of time that was.

as for the pictures, i find the clutter too distracting. imo, a text/labbook should be enough (plus all the equipment of course).

Last edited: Feb 9, 2009
  6. Ageotas

Ageotas Member

The beaker in #2 is not dirty, it is the condensation from the vapour. I feel that #2 could benefit from a deeper DoF, while #3 needs to be either shallower or deeper; that hand being just outside of the focus is distracting.

Other than that, the only thing you need to consider is dropping chemistry for a real degree like Physics ^^
    (I joke, but seriously, Physics!)

7. OP
    OP
    MCWB

MCWB Member

Thanks for the comments guys! :thumbup: Yeah I agree there is quite a bit of clutter in some... just like the real lab I guess. :) I didn't really think about DOF so much, will have to do so more in the future.