In today's BS Junk Science news...

Discussion in 'Science' started by Goth, Sep 6, 2007.

1. Goth

Goth Grumpy Member

http://www.denmark.dk/en/servicemen...ws/MagneticRefrigeratorNeedsNoElectricity.htm

2. Commie_Mike

Commie_Mike Member

Is this for real? I'm no physicyst so i've no idea myself...

3. Bearz

Bearz Member

Can some explain what 'thermodynamically reversed' means? Is that just like saying the heat is 'made cold'?

4. chip

chip Member

I think it may have lost a little in the translation along the researcher --> reporter pathway, and even more when translated into english.

What they're actually working on applications of the magnetocaloric phenomena. The implication that you're somehow getting 'free' cooling is absurd.

Science reporting in the general media is incredibly depressing, don't you think? Things like mucking around with reversing Van der Waals interactions become "omg LEVITATION HARRY POTTER FLYING", and this becomes "FREE COOLING!".

5. Zylatis

Zylatis Member

yeh as far as i can see from this article its a load of wank. heating stuff by friction caused by magnetic fields: check. heat flow with water: check. using a heat engine cycle to compress something to cool it (thermodynamics): check.

Using magnetics to heat shit then move the heat somewhere else = fridge: errr no

6. daztay

daztay Member

Hot and cold are potential energy. So this makes free energy?
    BS

7. Foliage

Foliage Member

At least it doesn't use perpetual motion.

8. indy75

indy75 Member

thats what i was thinking....

i think that they are saying it's 60% more efficient, but they do state that it requires no electricity in the title....:confused:

9. chip

chip Member

In this case they is a journalist who would probably be out of their depth on a wet pavement, let alone covering obscure scientific phenomena. Hence the logical absurdities.

10. eviladrian

eviladrian Member

Ugh, imagine if a newspaper hired a sports writer who didn't know anything about sports...
    "So while your team was trying to get this football to the other end of the field, the other team actually grabbed and knocked over the man carrying the ball? The nerve of some people!"

11. SLATYE

SLATYE SLATYE, not SLAYTE

Yes, I think you're right. It sounds like the scientists here are just using magnetic refrigeration but they've extended it into something which could be commercially viable reasonably soon. The Wikipedia article explains it nicely.

The journalist has probably figured that magnets = no electricity = no power input = free energy.

EDIT: My guess at what actually happened.

Scientist: We apply a magnetic field to increase the temperature of the material.

Journalist: The new method uses opposing magnetic fields to increase the temperature of the materials employed.

Scientist: The material is cooled back down to ambient temperature with water cooling or something similar.

Journalist: The heat energy is transported through a non-volatile fluid, such as water...

Scientist: The magnetic fields get turned off, resulting in the material cooling down to below the ambient temperature.

Journalist: ...and then thermodynamically reversed to a cold temperature.

Last edited: Sep 10, 2007
  12. RnR

RnR Member

13. Smoke87

Smoke87 Member

No they are not.

"Hot" is simply energy caused by friction, caused by motion.

"Cold" is an absence of "hot" / heat, and is NOT an energy, and this does NOT mean there is any "potential energy"....

/sigh

14. Zylatis

Zylatis Member

I dunno if id call hot friction, but temperature is defined as average kinetic energy. not just motion but random thermal motion in all directions allowed by the degrees of freedom.

so basically youre half right :p but yeh this article is a load of wank.