1. OCAU Merchandise now available! Check out our 20th Anniversary Mugs, Classic Logo Shirts and much more! Discussion here.
    Dismiss Notice

India, tips, suggestions

Discussion in 'Holidays & Travel' started by dirkmirk, Feb 20, 2020.

1. dirkmirk

dirkmirk Member

Heading off in a couple of weeks, this is a rough idea about 4 weeks.

Fly into Bangalore(now Bengaluru) for a few nights, I met an Indian girl on my last trip whos a huge foodie so she will take care of that part of the trip, oh yeah getting some dental done as well, probably wont do stuff all sight seeing.

Fly to Goa celebrate Holi Festival

From Goa to Hampi, back to Bengaluru to fly somewhere else.

After that everything is up for debate

Really not 100% sure where to go, part of me says should go to New Delhi to check out the Taj Mahal and Rajasthan & Jaipur, sort of dont like the idea of all these big crowded places/transport:Paranoid:.

Kochi & Alappuzha

Chennai & Pondicherry

....OR Fly to Colombo check out Sri Lanka, Mirrisa Beach and chill.

Im a bit apprehensive about spending my entire trip in India, so much to see and do but I also want to find laid back people to hang with, from watching so many videos not sure about the general culture about Indian people but mainly the men, the impression of how they treat women and try to scam tourists all the time or their general demena, I really liked the people in Cambodia and liked the place as it didn't feel too big, I think that Sri Lanka would be similar in this regard.

Yeah just some thoughts, open to suggestions.

2. Pbx_Jnr

Pbx_Jnr Member

Hey dirkmirk !

I travelled to India back in November 2016. Absolutely lifechanging experience for me!

I uploaded a few photos here:
    https://forums.overclockers.com.au/threads/india-2016.1213644/

I went for 2 weeks, with the focus being primarily photography based. I travelled with 4 other like-minded photographers and my friend organised the whole itinerary, where we stayed in pretty much the cheapest accommodation available.

We started out in Kolkata (just happened to be in town when Chhath Puja was on), went to Pushkar for the Camel Fair, Agra for the Taj Mahal, Jaipur, Varanasi for Dev Diwali and finally Delhi before flying out from Kolkata back home. The only times that anyone tried to scam me was in the more touristy parts/events. For instance, before we reached the camel fair in Pushkar, we went to Pushkar Lake where these apparent "holy men" performed some sort of ceremony to bless us, before asking how much we would like to donate. They would ask how much we loved our family and that the amount of the donation would reflect the level of love :lol:. Another scam was a lady not asking for money but for me to buy her a carton of milk for her starving child, which sounds fair enough... until she leads you to a specific vendor for the carton of milk and they are wanting AU$20+ for the carton. It really is just about being cluey about those sorts of things.

The general culture for me was massively different to what I was expecting. There is a big noticeable separation between the different classes. The poorest people there were by far the most friendly, generous, genuine and least likely to try and rip me off. I had the most amazing time in a suburb of Kolkata called Dum Dum. We stayed at a hotel on RBC Road in Dum Dum, where virtually no tourists ever go. You get the "Indian stare" (hard to explain what that is but when you get it you know :)), but it's nothing bad, it's just that you're someone who they never ever see around their neck of the woods. In fact, pretty much everywhere we went we were approached like rockstars, and even moreso when they found out that we were aussie too! "Gilly! Gilly! I love Gilly he is my favourite cricket player! Matthew Hayden is a great batsmen!" (fun fact, I played music for Matty Hayden's wedding back in the day... can you imagine how popular that made me with the Indian locals :lol:).

It's really the middle class that were more what I expected culturally. Because they have a bit of money and can afford some of the luxuries, they definitely had a more arrogant demeanour about them. I experienced this a fair bit particularly on some of the domestic flights (all full service flights too!). I didn't see any mistreatment of women over there, though there are places we did go to where certain areas were forbidden to women.

My apologies for waffling on... more than happy to discuss more if you're keen :)

3. OP
    OP
    dirkmirk

dirkmirk Member

Whats it about this place:lol:?

To be honest it doesn't look that exciting or life changing, it looks dirty lots of unpaved areas and bare dirt, Goa is supposed to be part of the hippy trail going back to the 60s, people travelling through Europe through the middle east into asia, Goa one of the destinations, I loved partying with the young crowds in Cambodia but man where are the 30 somethings:upset:?

Felt like a toolie:lol:.

Part of the appeal of Goa, sounds like all walks of life, especially want to check out Arambol which sounds like a heavy russian influence, Vagator/Anjuna beach sounds more like the younger crowd and definitely want to check out Baga beach/Titos Lane, Goa covers a large area.

So around 2 weeks is up for debate, Bangalore and GOa will take 2 weeks of that, after that maybe skip country to Sri Lanka or even stay in Goa if I like it that much.

4. Tinian

Tinian Member

In my experience, prepare yourself for filth, stench, chaos and accept that nothing will work properly. Visually it can be stunning, if you ignore the aforementioned filth.

Pbx_Jnr likes this.
  5. chainbolt

chainbolt Member

In 4 weeks? I don't think their extremely low figure is correct. I would not travel in this region at all for a while.

treeplant likes this.
  6. OP
    OP
    dirkmirk

dirkmirk Member

I'll be their 5th March, I "neeeeeed" a holiday:D

7. alexb618

alexb618 Member

haha are you sure the subcontinent is for you?! people everywhere in every direction!

8. OP
    OP
    dirkmirk

dirkmirk Member

I get into Bangalore at like midnight so should okay getting to my hotel, staying at HSR Layout(means nothing to me:lol:), seeing a dentist and how much for a tpyical filling? 900-1,500 Rupees(Approx $19-$31):Paranoid:, I was told by my Australian dentist I need 4 fillings, I emailed about 5 or 6 with the x-ray only one got back to me, maybe I need a root canal and my Auzzie dentist said the same, IF I get a good feeling will probably go ahead with it even If I have to fly back.,..

I've read that Bangalore is considered the worst city in India for traffic:shock:! Apart from that I will be flying to Goa, bus to Hampi and bus back to Bangalore, I can't see it buy plenty of youtubers say they love Goa, I've got no return ticket so may spend a few weeks their, who knows.

My dreams are a little shattered, I was planning to go to Nyex beach club for Holi festival but those guys who do Coloraland changed to the location inland WTF:confused:, I fly in Sunday(Bangalore to Goa) so will have that night and next day to figure out what I'm going to do(Holi/Tuesday), yeah just being a tightass and spending my time in hostels, Hotels are cheap enough and 24/7 If I need one.

Going to wing it thats the best way with theses trips, dont know what people or freaks im going to meet:lol:, I will be in the Anjuna beach area/Vagator for Holi.

Errrrr May just end up at Hilltop but I don't think alcohol is going to cut it:lol:!

Last edited: Feb 29, 2020
  9. hellbug

hellbug Member

I was in Bangalore about 3 years ago, if you have time recommend seeing the temples, gardens and palace - we did a 1 day private tour via viotor on a Sunday when traffic wasn't so bad.
    If you are into your pop culture stuff there is a cool store not far from hard-rock cafe, across from the store is a really great Chinese place too.
    Avoid Film City, its a run down accident waiting to happen.
    Traffic is pretty hectic and they don't drive by any standard road rules.
    Tuk Tuk drivers will try and rip you off, make sure they switch on the meter before taking off, or if you agree on a set price they will try and hike it up once you get to your destination.
    Sadly didnt get to see any more of the country as I was there for work, but loved the experience, most of the people are really nice and friendly.

10. Pbx_Jnr

Pbx_Jnr Member

haha! For me, the excitement and interest was in how different it was to home. Yeah the filth and stink hit you in the face the moment you step outside the plane, but really you don't travel to these sorts of countries expecting a lot of cleanliness. I never drank from tap water and kept a healthy supply of bottled water at all times. If I ate from any street vendors, I made sure to only eat stuff that I could see them cook right in front of me as opposed to prepped food that had been sitting out for a while.

The appeal of seeing these poorer parts of the world was to really put my own life in perspective. When I was just wandering around the streets of Varanasi, I saw this kid just completely overjoyed at making this kite out of nothing more than a bit of paper and some sticks with fishing line. It was cool just seeing how happy he was with something so simple. Compare this to my 6 and 4 year old now who absolutely lose it if the internet goes down :lol:. I'm also a big cricket nut so it was great fun interacting with these die hard fans!

Goa sounds interesting though mate :)

11. OP
    OP
    dirkmirk

dirkmirk Member

Not sure how this Coronavirus is going to affect everything....

I think I will get their get their Okay via Kuala Lumpur(to Bengaluru), I fly out of Sydney midday wednesday.

Alot can happen in 4 weeks let alone days....

So If im reading correctly their is no direct flight from India to Sydney????

I have not booked a return ticket yet, not sure where I will end up.

I was entertaining ideas of heading back to south east asia(Vietnam, Laos, Cambodia, Thailand, etc).

Probably not a good idea..

errr dont know Not sure what to expect, IF I love GOA I will spend 2 or 3 weeks their thus the bulk of my holiday.

Yeah just wing it I spose, keep an eye out on Ozbargain hahaha!

12. blankpaper

blankpaper Member

Air India fly direct from Delhi to Sydney. About 13 hours. I think that's your only choice for no stops of any kind.

13. Pbx_Jnr

Pbx_Jnr Member

I flew cheap with Air Asia, who stop in Kuala Lumpur on the way to Kolkata. Bonus was it was a full day stop over so I got to hang out in KL for a bit before flying out that evening :)

14. flain

flain Member

I travel to Bangalore every year and have for the last 8 years for work. I’m usually there for around 7 days.

Best hotel is the Oberoi which isn’t expensive when compared to Sydney but isn’t cheap either. It’s the kind of hotel where they greet you out front and walk you to your room for checkin. India has a way of taking service to the next level sometimes.

if you haven’t been there many times before Bangalore belly (the runs) is a possibility. If you are worried about that then only eat hot food, avoid ice in drinks (unless at a place with filtered water - you can usually ask). Avoid salads. Curries are generally safe as they’re all cooked/hot. Buy some Imodium from the airport pharmacy on your way over :)

If you want an experience go see an IPL game. Go see the Bangalore palace and go see some temples. There is also a few breweries/restaurants that cater to the cashed up IT workers in Bangalore if you want a more western meal one night.

For getting around use ride apps like Ola and Uber are your best bet. You can grab tuk tuks but they see a foreigner a mile away and it’s a flip of a coin on if they take you where you asked / spoke perfect english when you got in but once moving all of a sudden can’t speak it anymore... IMO if it’s heavy traffic use Uber/Ola and save tuk tuks for when there is light traffic so you can enjoy actually moving and not sitting in traffic :).

Bangalore is one of the IT capitols of India so there is a little of everything there. If you’re a foodie there is a lot of quality places to go both cheap and expensive.

15. OP
    OP
    dirkmirk

dirkmirk Member

CHeers, I've got my accomodation sorted out in HSR Layout the Oberoi is out of my budget but damn that is a nice place:shock:!

Not sure how busy I will be in Bangalore, first day im seeing dentist probably get 2 fillings down but I may need a root canal, the savings will be tempting if I need that done...

THe whole reason why im going to India was I saw a random article about India and for the life of me I can't remember how or why I came across it, it mentioned Goa and that it was a portuguese colony up until 1961 WTF:confused:!!!!!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Annexation_of_Goa

I thought I was pretty clued up about the world and I came across the story of Goa and learnt something new, I always assumed India was a British colony from the late 1700s until 1947 or whenever Gandhi led the uprising, very interesting!! In Goa theirs old forts, churches and other portuguese influence let alone the Indian history, then I read up about Goa being a party destination/hippy culture and im like Hell Yeah i'm going!!

I loved Cambodia and the safe option for my next holiday might've been Vietnam/Laos but in reality would have been more of the same(In a way....).

It might out work better because of the coronavirus scare with those countries being in such a close proximity to China but in reality all tourism is probably suffering.

Whenever I mention Goa I always get blank stares so kind of cool that not many people(in my circles at least) have heard of it, I hadn't until a few months ago..

The typical thing is like cruises or Bali/Thailand/Cambodia/Vietnam, Looking forward to India as I looooove the women and why is their only 909 females to 1,000 men?

https://www.washingtonpost.com/graphics/2018/world/too-many-men/

Seems so backwards that this kind of thing still happens in the 21st century, I have 3 daughters and honestly I prefer that over having 3 boys:confused:, they're cool and easy going I wouldn't have the patience for boys just think they're little sh!ts LOL!

Maybe the imbalance goes to explain some of the weird behaviour of some Indian men, the staring, groping let alone the archaic ideas and violence against them, bloody disgusting.

THe girl I met in Cambodia who lives in Bangalore I assume she mingles in circles thats more or less the same as us westerners in regards to the status of women(she did come back to my room afterall:Paranoid:), i.e loves beef and doesn't believe in that "nonsense" about cows being sacred or whatever, will have to pick her brain to learn more about whats going on in India albeit from a skewed perspective of a well to do Engineer educated type, Bangalore is considered as like the San Francisco of India I.E IT capital.

I definitely want to check M.G Road(Mahatma Gandhi), I think thats the main pub/bar area probably lots of well to do younger types hang around from what I can tell.

Like I said my Indian friend Priyanka(all for anonymity but must be heaps of Priyankas:lol:) is a big foodie, She does all this blogging showing different foods she eats, interviews chefs and food prep she does, all in english too which I was a little surprised not sure if that's the everyday language or what the go is, she said knows like 7 different dialects or some such!

Shes like "don't about food im the expert, you will be stuffed like a pig"! And I believe it:lol:!

One of her latest videos, she was dining by herself on valentines day and was saying something about loving oneself and why not go alone to dinner? Shes a bit dorky and mentions her "sweet brother" but you know that is nice, such a nice way about life talking of her friends, family and the joy they get from each others company, talking for myself we are so sterile and unloving by comparison(Australians), we're nice enough but don't really care:Paranoid:, those cultures the words, emotions are genuine.

She just turned 34 and still lives at home but I can't talk I only just moved out again after a separation(I must emphasize it doesn't phase me one bit, I know Australians in general are a but funny about adult children living at home, must be the centrelink getting cut off or wanting them to pay their way hahahaa:lol:!)

Pri showed me photos of her place, marble stairways with glass panels & stainless steel handrails, looked like a hotel! Guess thats part of the economic/social divide, we don't really have that kind of interior in our homes unless your mega wealthy, guess over their you have the cost of materials and probably some very competent tilers for like $10-$20 a day compared to what $400-$600 here:confused:(Just speculating:lol:).

Anyway I don't expect to meet Pris family or anything(maybe I will:Paranoid:) and not sure if she will stay with me as it could be out of character or her parents getting a bit suspicious/judgemental, etc, me yeah whatever cool go with the flow, see her as a friend and I think she get that...

Anyway will be staying mainly in hostels targeting the more party orientated looking places honestly just want to chill meet different people, drink a heap of piss and chain smoke(casual in Australia, chainsmoker on holidays:lol:).

Accomodation is typically $10AUD per night give or take for a dorm room and air con is a must, im going at the tail end of peak season coming into summer the weather is getting hotter, googled water temperature for Goa and average for March is 28.3 degrees:sick:! Our water is around 23 on the east coast maybe a touch cool but very pleasant none the less.

Originally was planning a holiday for february but took a 2nd look at my work roster, I don't fully understand the system we work on a 8 day cycle (4 on, 2 days, 2 nights), 4off), IF took 3 shifts off in February I would need take 4 weeks worth of holidays whereas this month only 3:confused:(F##k knows how that works), must be to do with the double time on weekends and working more monday-fridays this month.

Just bought a DJI action Osmo so plan to take plenty of footage especially for Holi capturing all the colours being thrown around, people are supposed to be pretty happy/outgoing on Holi so probably no better time to take footage of random strangers, no guarantee of quality or whether the thing gets flogged or lost but how cheap are these things? $370 4K & Rocksteady image stabilization, I remember the crappy tape camcorders back in the late 90s up around the $1,000+ range, we are bloody spoiled for tech these days.

I'm a rank amatuer when it comes to filming or taking videos but why I chose the Osmo over a gopro, I really the idea of the front facing lcd screen so you can frame your selfie or whatever footage, see exactly what your shooting, If I was going to buy a gopro I would probably get an 8 but the 7 Hero is still a top camera, the 8 might have some better fps options and has better image stabilization, the gopro appears to have a more colourful/vibrant look compared to the osmo but I bet its a built in feature to make it more visually pleasing I.E fake, I figure if Im going to make my footage look good I'll edit it with a filter/post production, invest some time into learning video editing, 4K 60fps takes up a sh!tload of storage like 750meg per minute/45gig per hour!

I think I'll do mostly 4K/60fps as you can slow it down to half speed and still smooth, don't really care for super high frames at lower res

If I was going in February I wanted to go to the Hilltop festival, Hilltop is like a trancy music ah, venue, seems to gather all sorts I mentioned it before but im not sure alcohol is going to cut it should I venture their:Paranoid:

And trance music has some its origins from the Goa electronic scene.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Trance_music

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Goa_trance

Knowing me the D!ckhead I'll probably take something from a sketchy hippy type:lol:, just make sure I dont get too p!ssed and try to be a hero these festivals are no different to Australia people obviously die from overdosing, If I make it back I'll let yous know how it went.

Another Festival which would have been awesome was Sunburn at the end of december, the lineup included Flume, DJ Snake, Lost Frequencies, Chainsmokers, Martin Garrix, etc, over 3 days like the Hilltop festival, only thing from the videos and pictures I've seen it looks like a sausage fest, over representation of Indian men:confused: compared to women some foreigners.

Some other videos of Goa, really like this Jumping places travel vlogger and his girl damn shes fine:eek:, much prefer this couple over that goofy looking Australian dude with the big t!tted Thai missus.

Hes got other videos of Goa but those areas are mainly where I'll hang around, to be honest the beaches don't look that nice(I go hyams a couple times a week maybe im spoiled:Paranoid:) and I feel like im taking a risk, maybe I don't gel with the other tourists not hippy or weird enough:lol:, im sure their'll plenty of normal people haha.

Another excellent youtuber is bald and bankrupt, sounds like he used to run a place(hotel) in India in his younger days and learnt Russian from his ex partner, he explores Arambol and talks Russian to the expats/tourists and surprisingly(or not!) many Indians speak russian in that part of Goa, seems to be like a Bali for Russians but being an ignorant Auzzie their'd be many places like that all over the world where different nations have their popular tourist desintations.

Funny bastard, talks to a female cardboard cutout and calls her his Indian girlfriend lakshmi at the start of the video:lol:!

Er, sorry for the long winded ramble been awake since 4 so amped for this trip, the plan to work this arvo at 4 for 12 hours, finish work and train to Sydney airport, catch a plane tomorrow at midday and HOPEFULLY fall asleep for the 8 hours to Kuala Lumpur, knowing my luck that wont happen 5-10 minutes here and their, 4 hour stopover then 4 hours to Bangalore arriving at midnight, taxi to my hotel getting up early maybe 6 or 7 for breakfast with PRI, dentist in at midday, next couple of days are going to be full on.

Last edited: Mar 3, 2020