Indigo xtreme review AMD

Discussion in 'AMD x86 CPUs and chipsets' started by fatpwdfr, Nov 1, 2010.

1. fatpwdfr

fatpwdfr New Member

Sorry about my terrible Engish first, if i misspelled anything feel free to correct me.

Ok, here is the review, but i still need 1 more try to finish it.

iv heard that the best TIM on earth is Indigo xtreme, ordered one, got em today.

First, what a shit name, i can see xtreme everywhere, they should get a better name for this, maybe icedozer. well name isnt really a matter, im just sick of "xtreme".

Second, packaging, sry about the low quality of imgs, my camera sucks.

[​IMG]

as you can see, the packaging is low quality, and they didnt get it sealed.

next few pic is about what inside, iv got a pair of gloves, ETI, TR solvent wiper. and a low qulaity installation guide.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

well i dont care about the packing, the name, or the quality of the installation guide, what i really care about is the performance.

Installation:
    i forgot the take photos during the installation, but it is quite easy.

but the hard part is the process called "Reflow"

im not an engineer, i dont know why they made it this way.

in order to use this ETI, you have to unplug all your fans, and burn it with pm95 or cpuburn, as we all know that the safty limit of 1055t is 60--> which is 47 coretemp + 13, i was worried about my cpu get burnt.

[​IMG]
    as you can see, during the reflow highest core temp is 89.99c the protection will be activated when it reachs 90c. thats why you can see 67.5w during the reflow.

i have noctua D14, and according to indigo, i might need longer than normal to get the reflow done.

and yes, it took me 13mins, you know what is the hardest part?
    the hardest part is to watching the core temp when you know the limit is 62c, it goes 85,86,87,88,and wtf 89.

ok now we can talk about performance.

performance
    well iv said the hardest part is to watch the core temp during the reflow, but the worst part is here.
    my first installation failed!!!! the performance is nothing close to mx2, i mean wtf(im not sure if wtf is allow in ocau) i left my cpu with 80s c for 11 mins, and the performance is nothing close to mx2?
    here is the result for the first installation, i will do another tomorrow.

[​IMG]

3 test, 3 mins, with 48c highest reading.

here is my linx and pm95 with mx2:

linx 50 loops
    [​IMG]

and here is pm95 for 7hrs

[​IMG]

i did both test last night, and my room temp is lower than yesterday.

one thing im not sure with is the cpu temp showing in CPUID, the cpu temp did drop a lot but it is incorrect anyway.

ok, pros & cons

pros:
    not sure yet, but according to other reviews, it will drop another 1-3c.

easy installation

Cons:
    you need balls for the reflow, 89c isnt funny @ all.

the fail rate, maybe im just not the lucky one.

the smell, after reflow there is a bad smell in your case, im not sure if it is poison, i might need to do a health check tomorrow.

so my little suggestion is, do not buy it if you dont want to see 89c core temp.

2. terrastrife

terrastrife Member

takes you back to the days of the little pink square on amd heatsinks... you were supposed to burn them in at 70-75C first, before using em, most ppl didnt do that and ended up saying they suck because if you didnt you ended up with a pink layer of insulation :)

3. OP
    OP
    fatpwdfr

fatpwdfr New Member

thats why i said my review hasnt finished yet :)

i will post some new results

and new results are crazy!!!

4. OP
    OP
    fatpwdfr

fatpwdfr New Member

Ok, since first installation failed, i need to burn my cpu to 89 again, but this time, i made some change.

first, i lowered my voltage to 1.2. because on the installation guide, the idle temp is around 40, but there is no way to get 40 if i use stock setting.

so this time, the result is like this.

:confused::confused: i lost the img for the 9hrs prime95 test, but the highest reading is 35.

ok here is the linx + pm95 @ 7th loops

[​IMG]

Now 42

[​IMG]

the reason why i use pm95 + linx is the temp will increase faster.

first pm95 is not hot, the max temp of pm95 will be 3-7 lower than linx

but linx will not keep the cpu @ highest reading--> the temp will drop b4 it finished in each loops, so pm95+linx is like push/pull to generate heats.

normally i do 15 loops of linx +pm95, but this time i need a better result, so i did 50 loops.

and again, i lost the img file for the 50th loops.

ok, final pros and cons.

Pros:
    yes, it will lower your core temp, by 2-5 (compare to mx, but i will do a test later when my room temp is around 20c) cause my room temp is 3c lower than when i tested with mx2.
    after the reflow, the ETI looks pretty, i will post the photo later, coz my wife took my camera.

Cons:
    yes, i will still count the fail rate.
    the installation is not helping--> with stock voltage the temp will go over 100c if the protection didnt active.
    the package quality is very low.
    the glove is too small.
    the temp for the reflow--> who wants 85c

conclusion:
    there isnt too much smell after the second reflow, because the highest reading was 85c. it did lower the core temp by 2-5(compare to the mx2, i did 5 mounts with mx2 and used the lowest reading, so here comes the question, what about IC7? coz iv heard that IC7 beats mx2 easily), i will do some result later when my room temp is around 20c. and yes, you do need balls for the reflow, and 85c isnt funny.

5. OP
    OP
    fatpwdfr

fatpwdfr New Member

forgot to put cpuz, well i did all test with 288fsb with 14 multipier, vcore in bios is 1.4, ht 2k, nb @ 2879. ram @ 768*2 7 8 7 20

and this is what it looks like after reflow.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 3, 2010
  6. Gillyske

Gillyske Member

pretty excellent camera.

yeah doesn't seem like that TIM is worth it.

7. zero_velocity

zero_velocity Member

FWIW, Ive tried the AMD version on my rig....

TL;DR my opinion of it is that the reflow process is ridiculous to get right, and Ive got slightly worse performance (by about 3-5 degrees) when compared to the previous arctic silver (AS5) I had before.

8. kandrews

kandrews Member

Rubbish.......

Well I tried using the very 1st edition of this manufacturer's so called claim of BEST cooling paste. But it never eventuated for me.

The procedures to go through were never correct because the re-flow process was never fully successful so you got something that looked like it was insulating the cpu from the heatsink.

Hence I jumped onto Phobya paste and have never looked back at this abomination that had cost me around $39.00USD when it was first released.

I suggest to everyone go look elsewhere this was nothing but a failed attempt in selling a great marketing hoax to saps, who really badly, wanted to believe in this (for which I was one).

9. zero_velocity

zero_velocity Member

Yep, about the only thing useful in the packet for me now is the cleaning alcohol, wipes and gloves :thumbup: