Industrial M2M Reccomendations

Discussion in 'Networking, Telephony & Internet' started by HorrorLand, Feb 2, 2019.

1. HorrorLand

HorrorLand Member

Hi guys,

Have been following Yoodaa's 4G thread and I am hoping to do something similar for a remote relocatable office in a container. Although I think I want to stick to using an industrial router vs consumer devices/building from scratch.

Having said that I can't really find much info about them in this context, there are lots of devices available so can anybody recommend a particular model based on their experience? This is one of the cheaper ones I was looking at:
    https://www.iot-store.com.au/collec...al-sim-4g-lte-wifi-wireless-router-usr-808-au

Top speed isn't a concern, just need reasonable speed and access in remote areas. Would like support for multiple bands across countries not just AU, dual sim is a plus but not required. Wifi feature would be good too but it depends how I can set it up whether indoors or ext mast.

TYA

2. OP
    OP
    HorrorLand

HorrorLand Member

Bugger, nobody has any experience with these units for work or anything? Guess I'm on my own then.

3. NSanity

NSanity Member

Performance for Mobile data is far more based on whether or not you can get direct LOS within distance of a Mobile Tower than it is 1 chipset over another.

Buy appropriate hardware to suit the environmental conditions and then get some form of external antenna with LoS that matches the LTE/Mobile band your carrier services.

4. OP
    OP
    HorrorLand

HorrorLand Member

Thanks for the response mate, of course this chip has 150/50 max capability in absolute perfect conditions - there is not much faster except consumer stuff as M2M this isn't exactly required. It is unlikely I would ever reach that anyway though, I am starting to think I will need to mount externally now.

Well its meant to be relocatable, so I am just looking for the most flexible option for now and will get the most suitable antenna for each location etc.

Just saw this, god knows how much $$$$$$ :Paranoid:

5. NSanity

NSanity Member

So you can either work it all out yourself - or you can let these guys know - https://www.telcoantennas.com.au/ - and they will sell you all the required bits to meet your needs (at a fairly reasonable price).

But the single most important thing is to make the sure you have direct LOS (even if that means building a tower on a hill, then doing a short point to point or Fibre run to the required location) to your mobile tower inside the distance (say upto 50kms).

6. OP
    OP
    HorrorLand

HorrorLand Member

Cheers mate, they look to have everything in the one place definitely will have a squizz. Perhaps a omnidirectional antenna with an adjustable height pole system will be best for my application something like this https://www.telcoantennas.com.au/site/telco-omni-3g4g4gx-mimo-antenna-kit-700-2700mhz

Now to figure if passing coaxial through the container (steel box) to indoor router will result in any significant losses vs mounting on the ext rear wall. Will check nearest tower and get on the roof.

7. NSanity

NSanity Member

Omni just means you're lazy and don't want to whip out a compass and find north.

8. OP
    OP
    HorrorLand

HorrorLand Member

Ahaha yepp but is there any downside anyway?

I can see the tower - taken on a potato!

Click to view full size!

Telstra 4GX, there is a Optus tower an equal distance in the opposite direction but more crap in the way.

9. bryn

bryn Member

Get something that does carrier aggregation- because you may end up on a congested band due to carrier preferences and carrier aggregation will still get you decent speeds.

I would probably look at the Netgear Nighthawk that Telstra sell, although its not super industrial.

10. OP
    OP
    HorrorLand

HorrorLand Member

The one I'm currently looking at supports CA:
    2 x CA Carrier Aggregation
    • B1+B1/B5/B8/B20/B28;
    • B3+B3/B5/B7/B8/B20/B28;
    • B7+B5/B7/B8/B20/B28;
    • B20+B32;
    • B38+B38;
    • B40+B40;
    • B41+B41
    No dual sim on this router but cat6 and PoE at least. With the nighthawk I'd have to open it up to access sma ant, I'd rather not unless I can score one cheap used or something. Also just figured the tower in the picture is in fact a a further optus one, the telstra one is closer but behind a row of large trees so I didn't spot it at first.

Last edited: Feb 5, 2019
  11. OP
    OP
    HorrorLand

HorrorLand Member

Hold up, the two TS9 connectors on the M1 are for external LTE ant? Thought they were for wifi, still I'd prefer something more industrial grade especially if housing it externally.