Inside a North Korean arcade

Discussion in 'PC Games' started by slipkord, Sep 25, 2008.

Tags:
  1. slipkord

slipkord Member

A guy recently went on a trip to Pyongyang in North Korea and took photos of an amusement arcade he visited. Granted, its just one arcade, and it may not be representative of potentially other arcades that exist there, but still - this is North Korea after all!

The notion that arcade machines are allowed to exist in a place like North Korea just didn't occur to me til I stumbled onto this :)

Inside a North Korean arcade (UK:RESISTANCE)

2. elvis

elvis Old school old fool

I saw that link on ArcadeHeroes today. It certainly made me stop whining about the state of arcades in Australia for a short while. :)

My home collection is in better nick than that. :)

3. LoBeS (BB)

LoBeS (BB) Member

wow thats not even fair

4. Coopz

Coopz Member

Ya that looks so decrepid...

..but I thought arcades died out 5+ years ago when consoles overtook them in the graphics department (?).

5. Lando

Lando Member

I wish these type of arcades were still around, I would happy pump a few 20c coins into them for a old school game. Far more enjoyable and easy to play than most moden games.

I think modern arcades lost the plot when they moved away from coins, I know thats when I stopped playing them :(

6. stmok

stmok Member

Not when you're poor as heck, and your Govt would rather keep you in line by offering you the "bare essentials". While the President is living luxury, blowing money on military, and blackmailing the region via nuclear threats to get donations/charity for the population. A significant number people over there are going blind because of the lack of medical resources available.

20c coins? Last I played, they were $1 and $2 ones...Yeah, I stopped playing as well.

Last edited: Sep 26, 2008
  7. BitAddict

BitAddict Member

The last time I played an Arcade would probably have been in '95 or so, in the U.S., and they cost a quarter per game...

8. NismoR31

NismoR31 Member

yie ar kung fu! way better than most of the games around in the western world these days

9. Kitler

Kitler Member

Yep same here. However those TimeZone cards were so convenient. :p

10. BuzzPuppy

BuzzPuppy Member

Ah yes, the local "Intencity" or "Timezone"... many an argument was settled between myself and the gurlie with a good round of air hockey!

11. Willybomb

Willybomb Member

I stopped playing them when they all became time limited racers or shooters on rails..

12. Punch Bunny

Punch Bunny Member

a.k.a. Bleeding Knuckles :lol:

13. AthlonMan

AthlonMan (Banned or Deleted)

Heh, this reminds me of about 4 months ago when I went to Dreamworld. I spent about 1/3rd of the time there inside the arcade :D

14. elvis

elvis Old school old fool

I know a few folks starting up their own retro arcades here in AU. Keep an eye out - there's a lot of interest out there for this sort of thing, and it's making a come back.

I don't know a single arcade today that doesn't offer standard coin as well as tokens for their games. Tokens are great for arcade regulars (i.e.: me) but scare off casual passers by. Arcade ops worked this out, and have adapted to suit both types of customer.

Walk into your local arcade and take a look around, and you'll see machines are back to accepting standard currency once more.

15. t8y

t8y Member

yep, the short 90 minutes i spent at the melbourne "game on" exhibition recently was heaven.. just a shame the missus wanted me to leave early, i could have spent the day in there..

i think with things like the xbox arcade, sonys equiv (?) and wii classic console, DS/PSP homebrew aswell as mame & similar, combined with the fact that older gamers just dont like the modern rehashed shit that place like EA and the like keep churning out, that retro games are due for a comeback

retro goodness :thumbup:

16. Crambo

Crambo Member

I went to North Korea in late 2006-early 2007 and let me say what you're seeing is what the cream of the crop get to enjoy. Most North Koreans wouldn't even have a concept of what a computer is or does, let alone a computer game.

17. OP
    OP
    slipkord

slipkord Member

18. Harper:ToV

Harper:ToV Member

Some day... they might even have a computer down there powerful enough to play star craft.

Yes.

Some times if you go out far enough, you can find some old school arcade machines. The Pub i go to has one of those desk mounted arcade boxes with heaps of old school games.