1. OCAU Merchandise now available! Check out our 20th Anniversary Mugs, Classic Logo Shirts and much more! Discussion here.
    Dismiss Notice

Instagram - increasing followers?

Discussion in 'Photography & Video' started by cyrax83, Dec 4, 2019.

1. cyrax83

cyrax83 Member

Does anyone have any tips on increasing instagram followers? And not by buying them haha

I think i'm posting decent pics and using hashtags but don't seem to be gaining. I recently did a cull of ghost followers so removed about 200 in the hopes of getting more engagement and exposure. Now down to ~250. But didn't really make a difference.

I'm not overly concerned about it but If I'm doing something wrong I'd love some tips

Last edited: Dec 4, 2019
  2. power

power Member

be worth following?

mesaoz likes this.
  3. The_Stig

The_Stig Member

4. OP
    OP
    cyrax83

cyrax83 Member

5. clonex

clonex Member

find more pics of the girl in ya avatar pic :D

JSmithDTV likes this.
  6. OP
    OP
    cyrax83

cyrax83 Member

Haha yes perhaps I need to do more model shoots!

clonex and JSmithDTV like this.
  7. Deftone2k

Deftone2k In the Darkroom

You have to put the time/effort into engaging with others or creating content that is engaging. Things like instastories get viewed a lot more, but Instagram turning off the like count has killed a lot of traditional 'engagement' in that people just scroll without actually liking/commenting a lot more now.

It's a long graft, that or you need to be shared on popular accounts which may/may not get you more traction.

8. Arch-Angel

Arch-Angel Member

^ This.

Engagement with the community is very important to building business, especially with regards to artistic endeavours.
    I note that Deftone2k has listed his Insta in his signature here, whereas you (the OP) have not... OCAU'ers are a fairly pragmatic bunch, but if you are worth of following you might find a few people from these forums will sub you.

Good luck!

9. havabeer

havabeer Member

I thought it was the old effect of people will sub if you have a lot of subs.

Personally I'd just pay the money and get the fan base rolling. I think once you start telling people you have 20k followers people might start thinking you're worth following

10. miicah

miicah Member

You need to make sure you are posting content every day, or every two days etc etc. You need to make sure you have a backlog of content to post in case you fall behind as well.

11. bolex17

bolex17 Member

- Post quality content consistently daily.
    - Engage with like minded account.
    There's no quick way, it just takes time.

That said Instagram is pretty crap these days.

12. Dark Orange

Dark Orange Member

13. oculi

oculi Member

What does an Instagram following do for you? On YouTube it's money, which is useful but IG I'm not so sure, my follower number seems to have paused but I'm not a frequent poster.

14. havabeer

havabeer Member

Sponsors I think.

Most of the smart people get a good YouTube following and then move to patreon where at least you get a decent chunk of the profits. But for Instagram business will pay you or offer you free stuff depending on the size of your fan base.

Its with people like the Kardashians ask for decent sums of money per post, because they have a decent sized, interactive following