Install programs that require XP SP2 on SP1

Discussion in 'Windows Operating Systems' started by eddie06, Sep 30, 2007.

1. eddie06

eddie06 Member

Ive just bought myself a copy of Office 2007 and it wont install as my computer currently has service pack 1 installed, whereas the minimum requirment is XP SP2.

Ive had XP SP2 on my computer in the past and im not going back. My general windows speed slowed, gaming performance dropped noticably as well as I never needed or used any of the additional security updates that came with it either.

What id like to know is there a way that I can trick the installation into thinking I have service pack 2 installed or is there a way I can edit the registry so that my computer appears to have SP2 installed?

Any help would be appreciated! Cheers :thumbup:

(no im not going to install SP2 then uninstall it...)

2. maxy0987

maxy0987 Member

bah, the install/pull off was what i was going to suggest :p

Im pretty sure they say they need sp2 because it has better support for the .net framework and other libraries and fixes. if that is the case then i think you're stuck and need sp2.

3. NormM

NormM Member

Looks like you aren't going to install it if you aren't prepared to install SP2.

I can't see what the problem with SP2 could have been. I've never seen anyone having problems with it. Not saying people don't though, just never seen it myself and have installed it on plenty of systems.

4. power

power Member

you will find a slistreamed windows xp sp2 windows will be faster than your sp1 install upgraded to sp2, i'd recommend trying that out - if you need to find out how to slipstream try out n-lite it will give you full instructions on how to do it and create an iso for you.

5. terrastrife

terrastrife Member

this is of course, bs, but it will use less hdd space if you prefer to keep backup files.

it is possible to set your registry to make everything think yorue running SP2 (this is how we make server oses into workstations to allow software thats strictly no server oses to install), but that may break A LOT of programs that think youre running SP2 and arent, as many core files are updated.

6. power

power Member

if you think it's bs you're entitled to say so but you'd be wrong.

7. underskore

underskore Member

can you please elaborate on why/how a slipstreamed sp2 install would be faster?

8. OP
    OP
    eddie06

eddie06 Member

thanks for all the feedback guys :)

Power - id probably consider trying your method but i just got my computer up and running from a clean install, so the last thing I want to see is a blue windows setup screen lol

terrastrife - do you know of any websites which could fill me in on your method? I know a lot of people out there are wondering why I wont just install sp2 but my experience with it was that poor that id only consider it as a last resort. it may be safer but for me this wouldnt make a difference as I havent had any problems with virus / adware on sp1 thus the extra features of sp2 are of no use to me and only slow down my computer.

Cheers

Esalem

9. Twrecks

Twrecks Member

Save yourself a heap of grief and install Office 2000. Doesn't even need XP.:thumbup:

10. NSanity

NSanity Member

Mostly because all the crap that is there for rollback purposes in the registry is non-existant.

This is ignoring the inherint performance differences between a machine that has been formatted 6-12 months ago (longer i'd say if he's still running XP SP1) and one that was reformated within a week.

Also, there is a crap ton of updates that are coming out now that don't support SP1. Thanks for making the internet a bot-free place.

11. terrastrife

terrastrife Member

which is why you choose not to keep the backup files.

they dont slow down your pc anyway, just take more space.

12. crix75

crix75 Member

Hmm, another of those people who has a bad experience once, and then assumes it must be the software. I've installed SP2 on many PC's over the years, and the very few that gave me the kind of issues you describe, should have been clean-installed prior to SP2 going on, as they were "slightly" borked installs anyway. I actually find SP2 to be faster on my hardware than SP1.

And why buy Office 2007 when the System Requirements include SP2?

Yeah, it's fairly simple...
    Code:
    SP1
    [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Windows]
    "CSDVersion"=dword:00000100
    SP2
    [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Windows]
    "CSDVersion"=dword:00000200
    But not recommended..

eddie06, if you've just re-installed Windows and SP1, now is the perfect time to install SP2.. Despite you're previous experiences, the codebase in SP2 is actually lighter and more optimised than SP1.

13. OP
    OP
    eddie06

eddie06 Member

Mate you are an absolute legend!! :D

Worked a treat. Office installed without a hitch and so far is running perfectly, ofcourse best of all im still running sp1 :thumbup:

14. hamishbindrinki

hamishbindrinki Member

just wondering what would happen now if you changed the registry back

15. decayed.cell

decayed.cell Member

Only if you integrated with the /QFE:SP2 switch in the commandline

16. OP
    OP
    eddie06

eddie06 Member

To answer your question ive re edited the registry file so that the computer will read SP1 and all the office applications are still running, no problems experienced as of writing this post :thumbup:

17. Aetherone

Aetherone Member

I'd like you to show us all where that's an option in the SP2 install. The last time MS gave us that tickbox was SP1.

18. nanolimit

nanolimit Member

Its in the SP2 install too, Look closer next time ;) Then again MS might of removed it/ did you use the offical installer :Paranoid:

19. Aetherone

Aetherone Member

Not just that but an "official" Microsoft supplied SP2 CD. I've used it many dozens of times for various customers boxes and none of them ever gave that tickbox of "do not backup original files".

Since you said this
    This would indicate you don't actually know for certain. Do you know or not? is it there or not? if it is, would you kindly point it out, because I'm apparently blind and can't see it.

20. Nizmox

Nizmox Member

Is SP2 really slower?
    I have never noticed any performance drop. Even on my older PC which is a similar spec to the poster.
    If its negligible, I would rather take the small performance hit and have a less vulnerable PC ;)

EDIT: I always use a slipstreamed install, but I highly doubt it makes much/if any difference to performance.