SOLVED Installed new GPU drivers, no display

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting Help' started by ejaygen, Apr 28, 2019.

1. ejaygen

ejaygen Member

Hi,

I recently reinstalled my GPU drivers (for a 1060) - after running the setup, my computer no longer displays anything. Even when I do a hard shutdown and turn it back on, it won't even display BIOS. I do hear the single beep though.

Judging from the way the rest of my computer is behaving (I can hear Windows notifications, I can hear/see drive activity), it seems like everything is working except the display.

As I can't see anything (even before Windows boots up), I can't exactly install a different driver or roll back. I have an old monitor connected via DVI, and a TV screen via HDMI. Neither is getting any display signal.

I might add that the driver I recently installed was an older driver - I was having issues with the latest one, so I tried to do a clean installation with one from last year.

Any idea what I can do?

Last edited: Apr 28, 2019
  2. PsydFX

PsydFX Member

I’d first be checking your Motherboard’s manual to check out the beep codes.

Given that you’re not seeing POST screen isn’t a promising sign, but it may be worthwhile reseating the GPU and all power connections.

3. OP
    OP
    ejaygen

ejaygen Member

I'll give it a go. Are you suggesting my GPU is dead?

4. scared&profane

scared&profane Member

Does your pc have any on board graphics? Do you have an old GPU you could test on?

You didn't update your bios too did you? If you have on board graphics it may have defaulted to using them.

5. PsydFX

PsydFX Member

Too early to tell. But it is a possibility.

6. OP
    OP
    ejaygen

ejaygen Member

Nah justa the NVIDIA driver installer for the audio driver, PhysX and display driver.

Yep think my motherboard does have onboard graphics - never used it since build. I'll give it a go.

7. OP
    OP
    ejaygen

ejaygen Member

So it's been interesting.

I might start with the fact that I had a single beep from mobo each time. Manual says that means VGA detected.

First thing I tried was removing my graphics card - I assume that it'll default to integrated graphics? That was an assumption I made, so I plugged my DVI monitor into the slot on the back of the motherboard. No display.

Then I tried putting in an old Radeon 5850, and then plugging in the DVI monitor. No luck.

Then I plugged my TV into the HDMI port of the 5850, and I now have display (POST to Windows)

I'm going to see if TV gets display from my old graphics card again (to see if its my monitor), and if not, try doing a driver uninstall and reinstall on this.

8. OP
    OP
    ejaygen

ejaygen Member

Hmm, so I put the 1060 GPU back in, and both the monitor and TV work!

Nothing makes sense (where was the problem coming from? why did it coincide with driver install?). But if it's working, I'm not complaining :D

Thanks for the quick replies though guys!

I'm guessing this might have been just the thing.

scared&profane likes this.