Instant film systems for travel

Discussion in 'Photography & Video' started by triggerpeg, Apr 15, 2013.

1. triggerpeg

triggerpeg Member

Hope the community here can give me some feedback and advice on what my options are in terms of instant film and systems out there according to my current need.

Going over to Cambodia in July for a trip to visit an orphanage which our Church has been sponsoring. Been assigned to photograph the people and especially the kids there. However I dont just want to take photos digitally and give nothing back, so I thought about taking instant film camera/system with me and provide them with something on the spot.

First thought is those plastic Instax cameras. But not sure about the quality and if the film will last every long? One concern is that I will be there on site for a whole week in about 35+ degree heat at 70-100% humidity with little or no air conditioning. Other thing is weight. Its a remote area so max is 10kgs?

Suggestions would be welcome and thanks in advance!

Last edited: Apr 15, 2013
  2. aznpsuazn

aznpsuazn Member

Cool idea. I wonder what is out there. The instax stuff may seem cheap but I have photos from 12 years ago that still look great, and they haven't really been stored under any special conditions either besides out of direct sunlight. THat sorta stuff seems the most convenient and compact.

Just had a quick look

http://www.teds.com.au/accessories/instant-cameras

3. ^catalyst

^catalyst Member

yeah, the fuji stuff is the best atm. if you can handle the size go the wide, elsewise 300 is compact.

4. BRGMCS

BRGMCS Member

what about one of those little Canon printers you can plug directly into the camera, and print straight from the camer (ZOMG!!! A use for the DirectPrint button!!)

I've got a (from memory) Selphy 300 which does that, and it's actually surprisingly decent quality.

5. lench

lench Member

get a fuji instax. quick and easy to set up
    if you definitely want a copy, then get something like a polaroid land packfilm camera (kinda bulky and a bit of a hassle but its the biggest colour instant you can get) with this option you get the print, and a negative that can be 'reclaimed' and scanned

..but for simplicity and cost, just go the instax

if 10KG is your limit you could always go all out on a 4x5 system with a packfilm adapter, tripod, an assortment of lenses, a few holders and STILL be under that weight :lol:

Last edited: Apr 17, 2013
  6. JidaiGeki

JidaiGeki Member

Just bought 2 x Selphy CP900s for my upcoming wedding, with batteries to go with them. The CP900s have WiFi, USB and a memory card slot. The CP800 doesn't have WiFi but can be bought with a Bluetooth module.

On my first test run with the printers, the clarity is great, but the reds are a bit dim, giving the pictures a slightly washed out look, but pretty awesome for the size of the unit.

Apparently the photos last for a long, long time. Each print costs about 35 cents. You can also buy a range of different sized papers and labels. Standard size is 4x6. I am also taking an Instax 210 Wide, but it will be nice to keep the photos in memory, which you don't get with the instant film (although the Polaroid Z340 has storage capabilities).

Not many of the portable printers on the market have battery capability - for instance the EPSON PictureMate is pretty good too, but not truly portable as it needs a power outlet. To make the Selphys portable you need to obtain a battery and battery carrier which is essentially twice the cost of the printer. My total cost for 2 printers, 3 batteries, 2 battery carriers and 430 prints was $750 (from Adorama). Total weight of each printer and kit is about a kilo.

Hope this is useful to you! And sounds like an awesome cause :thumbup:

7. Zzapped

Zzapped Member

Off topic but Ill also be over there in July also , going to both Siem Reap and Phnom Penh :thumbup:

8. OP
    OP
    triggerpeg

triggerpeg Member

Just an update from my trip to Cambodia. Got in a bit of an awkward situation when I unloaded the instax cameras and film for the orphanage staff. They were like, um okay (blank look), thanks for the gift... but we have a DSLR and digital printer....lol.

Seems like materially they have all they need. They even had a satellite uplink for internet. Regardless the kids being kids had great fun with them. :thumbup: