INSURGENCY SANDSTORM

Discussion in 'PC Games' started by whatdoesthisdo, May 30, 2018.

1. minushuman

minushuman Member

Many people playing the beta? Not having any trouble getting an AU game which is good

Runs terribly though! Struggling to maintain 50-60fps most of the time, dialled down the graphics to low to get it stable (max fps didn't change much but min went up to an acceptable level).

2. mtma

mtma Member

Hope they have some sort of controls for this, landing modded servers through a matchmaker gets old quickly.

3. Frag

Frag Member

Well started playing today and love it. After playing BFV Beta last night this was so much better IMO. Sure the frostbite engine/graphics are so much better etc but the gameplay just sucks, much prefer the Insurgency style.. sure its bots etc but just fun and a lot more tactical which is why I like it.

Mine is running perfect, pretty much all very high aside from shadows, AO on etc. Lowest FPS I get is 70-80 in one of the mountain maps, others are over 100.

980Ti / 4930K @ 4.6Ghz 16Gb -- though only 1080p as I havent upgraded monitors yet :p

4. sparz14

sparz14 Member

you know you don't need to play vs bots, right? :p PVP is fun as

5. Frag

Frag Member

Yeah mate I know, sorry I just really like CO-OP esp with mates when you have a balanced team :) I dont mind PvP and will probably spend a bit of time once I know the maps well

6. neRok

neRok Member

I read something that indicated they had increased the occurrence of certain maps that were known to be poor performers so they could gather more data for improving them. Considering it is beta, that makes complete sense.

7. OP
    OP
    whatdoesthisdo

whatdoesthisdo Member

So haven't seen comments around the vehicle implementation? Is it in yet? Is it balanced? Thoughts?

8. neRok

neRok Member

Looks like it has been delayed until mid December. Beta continues though.

9. self_slaughter

self_slaughter Member

Well, it's technically out.. but it's far from finished. lol
    Hit refund for now... Seems like it has huge potential, but it's just not ready yet.

Some insane stutters even with a 1080ti/8086k @ 1080p.
    Texture pop in and models/animations are laughably bad.

10. mtma

mtma Member

Wow, sounds like the early days in original insmod!

They got there eventually however.

11. neRok

neRok Member

I played a few hours PVP last night. It's great fun. I've already got the #1 achievement :) The way they have re-implemented the push game mode makes it more interesting and varied, whereby different levels having 3 to 6 capture points depending upon the level.

I have very few complaints about the gameplay, just a few nitpicks regarding "transition" keyboard commands not registering like I would expect, eg sprinting-to-scoped, or prone-to-sprinting.

But yes, there is something wrong with texture streaming and mesh loading that causes little stutters. They have to suss out what is going on there. I've dropped down to low settings on 1440 for the time being, and consistently get 90fps on RX570 (which I locked the frames to for now), so it is fairly optimised. The problem must be related to loading such a large amount of files from disk, and caching those files (and yes I am running a good SSD). For example, when I respawn and it has to quickly render the new area, I can tell all the meshes flash in on their worst LOD level, then then redrawn themselves over the next second to their best version.

Last edited: Dec 16, 2018
  12. yaphax

yaphax Member

I run the game with no stutters on a r9 280x, r5 1600 @1080p. low settings though, average over 100 fps. Don't see texture pop-in except on spawn, so doesn't matter.
    Stutters are usually related to not installing it on an SSD as is strongly recommended by the devs
    Really impressed, gameplay is great, the removal of AP rounds means your loadout is way more interesting, looks okay on low settings.
    The sound is super well done as well!
    Strongly recommend the game! Now to upgrade the video card...

neRok likes this.
  13. self_slaughter

self_slaughter Member

I had it on the nvme drive (960 evo). Played with some of the texture streaming options etc. with no luck. Could calm it somewhat, but not remove the stuttering completely. Surprisingly Anti-Aliasing was a big one, with that OFF it was horrible with stuttering. Cranking it as high as it could go went a long way to calming things down, but I just ran out of time to experiment before that 2 hour refund window closed in.

Few reports popping up lately saying limiting the fps can help with the stuttering. Think it spiking from 100-300fps and back again plays a big part in it. Which seems in line with what I experienced playing with AA etc. Probably be ok with a mid range system as it wont be fluctuating to such extremes. Either way, I'll just wait till the devs or users work out exactly what's causing it and then jump back in assuming the player base picks up as it was quite fun and challenging. :)

Hopefully some ini hacks pop up to get rid of chromatic abortion / dof etc. since the in game options are rather lack luster. Again, stuff I just didn't have time to look into given the 2 hour time frame.

Last edited: Dec 17, 2018
  14. ^catalyst

^catalyst Member

It's a lot fun, especially with some friends.

FPS is a bit off, clearly something amiss somewhere which they will hopefully address in the very near future. Completely agree about the post-processing blurry/camera effect crap- absolutely needs to be optional.

I'll give the AA thing a whirl, thanks for the tip.

15. KriiV

KriiV Member

Such a fun game.

Not sure what issues you guys are having but I don't get any stutter or FPS issues. I sit around 90fps on high on my GTX680... Seems like the newer cards are having more issues with it? Weird..

Turn on FPS smoothing, that might help.

16. Foliage

Foliage Member

How is this game now, wait a bit longer still?

17. neRok

neRok Member

They haven't patched it since the 22nd according to the news feed on Steam.

The AUS servers are nice and busy, and I haven't had to wait long to get a match.

I've noticed a few "bugs" on various maps - collision containers bigger than the mesh for example. Nothing game breaking.

It plays good, but lopsided teams happen occasionally, and that makes it less fun (eg your whole team gets steam-rolled in 1 wave). In Push game mode, each map seems to have 2 different "versions", eg north-to-south and south-to-north, which is quite interesting and a good idea compared to the original.

Personally I think the maps might be a little large. One of the maps is literally 2 Insurgency maps stitched together with half a new map in between (every part of the map updated btw - but the same layout). This means there are lots of situations where you have to run for 30sec to get to the action. And as a result, respawns seem to take longer (ie, more time in between), so if you die at the wrong time, you are twiddling your thumbs for a while. I played Squad a few times, and it had the same problems but worse.

Also personally, I feel I am getting robbed constantly by hit reg issues, possibly related to my Perth ping usually making me one of the highest pingers on any Aus server.

18. damo13579

damo13579 Member

been having fun with this, both versus and co op (bots put up a bloody good fight sometimes)
    only time I have run into performance issues is when blowing up vehicles, drops FPS a shitload for a few seconds then goes back to normal

walker_2003 likes this.
  19. walker_2003

walker_2003 Member

really enjoying this, just done co-op vs bots and at times they r damn smart.

The sound and atmosphere is insane... good fun. The gunplay is top notch too.

Dropping shadows and effects to low has resulted in 100+ fps all the time for me.

20. OP
    OP
    whatdoesthisdo

whatdoesthisdo Member

And still none, any update?