1. OCAU Merchandise now available! Check out our 20th Anniversary Mugs, Classic Logo Shirts and much more! Discussion here.
    Dismiss Notice

Intel 10th Gen ESXi 7 Build - Results

Discussion in 'Storage & Backup' started by aokman, Aug 23, 2020.

1. aokman

aokman Member

So my old Sandy Bridge server died after 9 years of use and it was time to build a new system. I spent quite a while pondering if I was going Ryzen, Intel 9th gen to play it safe or risk it on Intel 10th gen with no real results from anyone yet... One of the primary goals was low idle power consumption.

I decided against Ryzen due to the high idle power consumption of the X570 chipset, somewhat sketchy results on ESXi and lack of any onboard graphics. I didn't really want to invest in 9th gen with it being out of date already. So I thought I would share this incase anyone else would like some info on Intel 10th gen support under ESXi.

To summarise, it works! I found results from 10th gen NUC's going back quite a few months so decided to take the gamble on it hoping much of the support would cross over to Z490 chipset.

Out of the box, everything works except for onboard LAN (Intel i219V), this doesn't work due to a bug introduced in 7.0b build but can be fixed by building a custom image following online guides which I did.

I also decided to upgrade my networking to the Intel i350-T4 based on advice online dedicated to pfSense and its 3 networks. Almost got burnt twice on counterfeit units and finally tracked down a legit Cisco rebranded card, be careful with these!

System Specs:
    • Asrock Z490 Pro4
    • Intel i7-10700
    • 32GB DDR4 - 2666
    • 8 x 8TB Ironwolf - XigmaNAS
    • 2 x 6TB Toshiba NAS - XigmaNAS
    • Samsung 950 Pro 512GB - ESXi Datastore
    • LSI 9201-16i HBA Card - XigmaNAS
    • Intel i350-T4v2 NIC - pfSense
    • Lian Li D-8000
    Feature Status:
    • VT-d Passthrough = Fully Works
    • SR-IOV = Fully Works
    • NVMe Devices = Works including passthrough
    • SATA controller = Works on ESXi / No passthrough
    Power Consumption Results:
    • Base System Idle - No PCIe cards / No HDD’s = 28W
    • Base System Idle - LSI 9002-16i / No HDD’s = 43W
    • Base System Idle - Intel i350-T4v2 / No HDD’s = 31W
    • Base System Idle - LSI 9201-16i / Intel i350-T4v2 = 45W
    • Idle - Base Clock - No HDD’s (Vcore Offset -50mv) - 0.712v - 26c (44W)
    • Throttle Back - No HDD’s (Vcore Offset -50mv) - 0.992v - 43c (119W)
    • Load - Full Turbo - No HDD’s (Vcore Offset -50mv) - 1.252v - 65c (221W)
    Anyway hope this helps someone out building a new system and doesn't want to gamble on their config. I have had good success with Asrock in the past and surprisingly they are the only MB manufacturer who hasn't burnt me yet with garbage boards...

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 23, 2020
    VIP3R, pH@tTm@N, Yehat and 1 other person like this.
  2. MrSquiggle

MrSquiggle Member

Good power info. The only downer seems the lack? of ECC for what, otherwise, seems to be a 'serious' build. I like the case - pity it's no longer available!

3. OP
    OP
    aokman

aokman Member

Yes ECC was a serious consideration for sure this time around. The things that stopped me were the lack of very fast ECC ram to allow Ryzen to perform at its best and also that there was no stock anywhere of the newer 2933Mhz ECC ram as it is. I really did want it this time around but honestly I have been using ZFS for over a decade now with non-ECC ram and never had an issue running on a UPS. I have had more issues with failing SATA cables and HDD's than anything else :lol: In the end I decided to just get good quality ram and target its speed slightly below the new rated spec of the Intel memory controller to play it safe.

Yes the Lian Li is a beast, don't know why the brand died off so suddenly, it has been so long since I have worked in a well built case that I forgot how good the features like a removable mainboard tray are! Compared to the gamer oriented crap these days anyway... It also has removable top panels which made it easy to connect the AUX 12v connectors for the mainboard.

Last edited: Aug 23, 2020
  4. Matthew kane

Matthew kane Member

I like the D8000 cases, one of the few double sized full tower cases that can support 10+ hdd's. How are the temps on the hdds IDLE and under LOAD?

5. OP
    OP
    aokman

aokman Member

Always runs very cool, even with the server stuffed in the cupboard :lol:

There are 3 Noctua fans running at 75% on the side blowing through the HDD rack

Attached Files:

6. Matthew kane

Matthew kane Member

Correct me if I'm wrong but the D8000 is completely discontinued right?

7. OP
    OP
    aokman

aokman Member

Yeah I think so, I don't think Lian Li make much of anything these days which is a real shame... It's a pretty rare combination of that many drive bays, good cooling and HDD vibration dampening.

8. Jaco

Jaco Member

Haven't seen a D8000 for a while it seems they weren't available for that long - tidy build

Spark64 has a few PC343s and V2000s he won't get rid of though hahaha, another good option for multi drive configs