Intel 11th Gen Rocket Lake desktop CPU in early 2021

Discussion in 'Intel x86 CPUs and chipsets' started by vlinx, Dec 12, 2020.

1. PureFire

PureFire Member

Its all about performance per dollar for me. Whether its AMD or Intel I'm not too bothered.

The 5800X is $750 which is poor value while other Ryzen models being unobtainium and the 10900K can be had for $620 (looking at staticice listings), so Intel is the winner in this comparison. But if the 11000 series news is correct and is released soonish then that may be the best, in my opinion. Depending on price of course and how long I'm willing to wait.

My current CPU is waay to old and in need of a refresh so I will definitely be considering the new chips and a new board.

2. jjjc_93

jjjc_93 Member

Definitely hold out for the 11th gen offerings. 10th gen is just the same you have now with some imc improvements and mhz + core increases, this is the first proper IPC bump from Intel in some time.

Ryzen pricing and availability has left the door wide open. 10th gen had some pretty poor availability early in the release too though so this launch will be interesting.

3. Azzan

Azzan Member

If you want best bang for buck, then used 10th gen would be best bet imo.
    10900K is already 40+% cheaper than the original RRP and used one's gonna be even cheaper, so used 10th gen(10900K/10700K/10600K) would be best bang for buck.

But if you want the fastest/latest then wait for the new 11th gen. :thumbup:

Last edited: Feb 15, 2021
    raincloudx likes this.
  4. OJR

OJR Member

5. raincloudx

raincloudx Member

I’m mainly wanting to see the benefits of PCIE 4.0, otherwise yeah I’d agree a 10900k is very good value now compared to AMD atm

Bertross likes this.
  6. Azzan

Azzan Member

lol same.. hopefully we'll get like 15-20% increase in gaming performance and double the SSD read performance soon with 11900K. :thumbup:
    [​IMG]

7. Azzan

Azzan Member

lol 10/10... honestly it's hilarious to watch desperate amd fanbois trying so hard with bs fake reviews.. gg OJ! :upset:
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 15, 2021
    Zarok77 and lxboston like this.
  8. jpw007

jpw007 Member

9. Azzan

Azzan Member

lol.. it's impossible to win an argument with amd fanboys because they have the largest egocentric brain.. basically their brain will do anything it needs to order to save face: ignoring facts, making up facts, and browbeating intellectually superior opponent into submission.
    In fact their egocentric bias is soo strong that even when they irrevocably lose an argument, they convince themselves that they somehow won since they possess not a shred of self-doubt.. and more firmly convinced than ever that they are absolutely right. :rolleyes:

"Think of how stupid the average person is... and realise half of them are stupider than that." - George Carlin

10. demowhc

demowhc Member

I agree 11900k will be faster but just note that Geekbench uses AVX at which 11900k excels at with AVX512 instruction set. I urge you to curb expectation, but it will still likely be the fastest gaming chip... by how much? probably not a lot.

11. walker_2003

walker_2003 Member

I like both.. currently if I was to go new id still go a 5900x/5950x I dont know if a 11900K could persuade me unless we talking a good 10% quicker gaming.

12. jpw007

jpw007 Member

Please don't bring logic into this.

100% it'll be close. I was really hoping that AMD's triumphs of late would have pushed Intel harder though tbh. 14nm still is really just taking the piss. They should have been on 7nm so we can really see some improvements from them.

I can't recal if they've got anything >8 cores on their desktop lineup without going a different socket? I think that's where AMD has shined and i'd like to see Intel get their act together too.

13. jpw007

jpw007 Member

Only problem is that I think that's still really only at lower resolution yeah? When looking at larger ones I think AMD is ahead with their versatility due to core count and heat being far more managable.

If Intel can reign those back in then they'll be hard to beat. I also put AMD ahead the last gen or 2 so went with them, but i'd be happy to jump over to Intel if they're ahead with IPC and inline with core counts/temps.

Though their constant desire to change platform and make prior gens obsolete is somewhat shithouse.

14. walker_2003

walker_2003 Member

For the most part yes even @ 2560x1440 you usually have a bottleneck with GPU but some games e.g GTA 5, CPU still shines.

jpw007 likes this.
  15. MrBS

MrBS Member

Can this shit just drop already, going to go ham, get a nice board, cpu & ram to go with my 3090. This 7700K at the moment is not cutting it lol

Azzan likes this.
  16. mrbean_phillip

mrbean_phillip Member

Probably a good watch for those interested in processor-technology both sides of the divide: I will also post this in the AMD thread.

17. Azzan

Azzan Member

ikr.. ngl i've never been this excited about the new Intel cpu uwu.
    spent ~5 hours last night testing 3090 oc, n u get less than 2% performance increase by ocing the gpu or ram(n i pushed gpu to +180, +1400 & ram to 4600c14), but with 2080ti u'll get 10+% boost if u just oc the gpu to max on 9900k etc.
    so basically we need faster cpu if u wanna get most out 3080/3090.. cos current fastest cpu(9900k to 10900k & 5800x to 5950x) are too slow for the gpu smh, so 11700k/11900k's gonna be huge upgrade if u have 3080/3090. :thumbup:

18. Azzan

Azzan Member

I'll check Control average fps(@1440p max with all ray tracing features on) with stock & oced cpu later.. but pretty sure there's gonna be noticeable difference with oced cpu and stock 3090.

my eyes have been blessed with my daily dose of msi z590 godlike
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

19. mrbean_phillip

mrbean_phillip Member

^^ Well, after a couple decades + playing with processors, I have learned a very valuable lesson: Never to believe the hype, if I cannot test something myself before buying, I would always wait for the general concensus once they are out in the open.

That way, I have avoided big disappointment wrt performance expectations vs reality.

As it sits, until RL has been released and proven itself, I will switch to an AMD-based system for my iRacing rig. I think the 5900x or 5950x should give the 3090 a much better workout than my current 7900x, so it is a good time to switch to the Ryzen 5, which I may very well stick with for an extended stint if RL doesn’t show appreciable gains over current tech, which I very much doubt it will.

‘Intel will need a big rethink on how to counter the Ryzen 5. As I have mentioned elsewhere, I am not at all interested in being labeled as a fanboy, I simply am after the fastest and most stable experience to support my iRacing initiatives. Now running with the Reverb G2 headset, it puts a huge strain even on the 3090 GPU, so I need a better processor to give better overall results.

‘Anyway, extremely exciting times from a technology perspective, I truly hope both sides will realize it is this exact competition driving development. We were at this juncture when AMD ruled the roost pre-2005, with Athlon and FX CPU’s, and Intel was persistent with Pentium 4 technology, until eventually Dothan/Merom came about and it changed the land-scape. Intel was strong for the last ~15 years or so, but now, AMD has deservedly turned the tables and again released exciting and interesting processors.

Well, it will be a while for Intel to make a clear separation as they did with the Dothan/Merom architecture, but it is overdue. Rocket Lake is just another release to further line corporate pockets, whilst a new vision is needed going forward, from a gaming/enthusiast perspective.

For all our sakes, for the sake of development, I hope we will see an ongoing battle in the years going forward, with a new leader almost every new release, as it will be great for us as users ....

Just my 2c.

Cheers,
    Beano

Last edited: Feb 16, 2021
    raincloudx, OC d and jpw007 like this.
  20. Azzan

Azzan Member

pfft.. amd fanboi... jk, but
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 16, 2021