Intel 11th Gen Rocket Lake desktop CPU in early 2021

Discussion in 'Intel x86 CPUs and chipsets' started by vlinx, Dec 12, 2020.

1. mrbean_phillip

mrbean_phillip Member

^^ :lol:

In the same day today here on OCAU, I have both been accused of being an Intel fanboy, and now an AMD fanboy.....lols, just having a good chuckle. But all jokes aside, like said, the chip needs to prove itself. I set the same requirements (for myself personally) for both team red and team blue.

‘Hype-train gossip no longer does it for me, sadly. But it is good to keep an eye on these threads simply to see what is in the pipeline, anyway looking forward to see what it can do once available to the wider public.

2. Azzan

Azzan Member

3. mrbean_phillip

mrbean_phillip Member

4. jpw007

jpw007 Member

Honestly I'm starting to feel like the 11th series is going to be a lot like Control.

Looks pretty but once you get into it, it's just genuinely shit in all other regards and there's other options that look nearly as good but are a much better package.

I hope I'm wrong but I've really lost faith in Intel after years of only using them with one crack at a Phenom II i was never quite happy with.

sanjeevlives, OJR and terrabyte like this.
  5. Azzan

Azzan Member

Gigabyte Z590 Aorus Master review(not preview), first Z590 mobo reivew?
    https://hexus.net/tech/reviews/mainboard/147380-z590-aorus-master/
    11 page review but they didn't mention the large solid backplate, 10GbE & dual bios with safe mode etc.
    BIOS screen looks bit old skool but other than that, gg imo. (way overkill VRM and heatsinks lol)

lolol @ X570 even with a cheap fan.. :upset:
    [​IMG]

mobos are gettin too op..
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 17, 2021
  6. mrbean_phillip

mrbean_phillip Member

^^ My concern is that motherboard manufacturers are implementing these massive power-stages for a reason perhaps, as an electronics person myself, I am a bit worried about where the leakage current in Rocket Lake will end up, with Intel screwing the last bit of performance from these chips. I suspect we are getting past the point of efficiency, clock-speed vs vcore vs leakage and thermals.....

I am wondering at which point we are going to see internal processor cooling happening, as the reality is that the smaller and more dense the dies get, the more difficult it is to evacuate the heat to the surface of the die. Will we see substrate-level micro-channel liquid /evap cooling, or will we see ‘dual-surface’ substrates at some point with coolers both sides?

Sorry, just brain-farting here, certainly interesting times we move in, looking forward to the day that Intel’s dies moves to a smaller lithography....or whatever we want to call it :)

7. OJR

OJR Member

Well yes, have you seen the temperatures coming out of 11th gen on full send?

8. mrbean_phillip

mrbean_phillip Member

Yep, and it's a worry. Unless one is doing aggressive water-cooling, it will be a challenge to keep these cool and prevent throttling under heavy workloads....benchers are not concerned though, due to extreme cooling measures, but for heavy workload in daily gaming and application use, it will be a challenge I suspect.

Let's wait until they drop to see what the final silicon will be like, but I for one will keep my sceptic hat on for the moment.

9. terrabyte

terrabyte Member

I was very surprised with the heat output from a simple i7 10700F chip (non-K). The stock cooler is beyond a joke, I basically had to slap a 600gram chunk of copper on it just to allow it to boost to it's advertised clocks. The included stock cooler hit 100 degrees almost immediately under full load and forced the chip to knock 800mhz off it's boost clocks just to keep a steady 95c.

The only reason I can think the i9 11900 dropped 2 cores compared to this gen is because the silicon pumps out even more heat....

dukkie, jpw007 and OJR like this.
  10. jpw007

jpw007 Member

No doubt some concerning power draw too? That's been getting out of control lately.

terrabyte likes this.
  11. mrbean_phillip

mrbean_phillip Member

^^ Yep, was my exact thoughts, hence me hanging off from this one. Can’t manage the heat, drop core-count, jack up the clock (and voltage) to claim the gaming-cpu crown.

Smells of desperation, imho. Of course, it might prove me totally wrong, but I doubt it.

12. mAJORD

mAJORD Member

You don't back-port a 10nm design to 14nm if you're not desperate

terrabyte likes this.
  13. jpw007

jpw007 Member

How dare anyone make critical comments towards a brand, whether enthusiasts with knowledge or actual past/present users. It's hardly like thinking critically is a good thing to help remove bias and look at things more objectively.

I take all of these comments as personal attacks.

:lol:

14. mrbean_phillip

mrbean_phillip Member

15. Azzan

Azzan Member

wow Intel 11th gen thread got suddenly filled with jelly amd fanbois talkin bout 8 cores and heat output.

Yes 11900K will only have 8c/16t and it'll also run hot for 8 core cpu, but none of that matters cos it's gonna be the fastest gaming processor in the world!

[​IMG]
    (told ya 11900K's gonna be faster than 812 Superfast.. but if you are more excited bout having 16 airbags then visit the A̶M̶D̶Volvo thread.)

16. adamsleath

adamsleath Member

so does it have a ferrari level pricetag?

11th gen royal edition? putting royal on the name tag can reel in a few suckers.

if it is the fastest chip, the sky is the limit for the price. if u can afford a 3000 dollar gpu surely a grand for a cpu isn't too much to ask :lol:

I'm always itching to get a faster cpu. only reason I look at these threads, but i have to stick to an upgrade timetable of about 5 years minimum. all those lucky enthusiasts that leapfrog every generation. lucky them <3
    next year will be 4 years for me.

17. raincloudx

raincloudx Member

18. MR CHILLED

MR CHILLED D'oh!

Biden administration will attempt to address the chip shortage.

Biden Administration Says It Will Address Global Chip Shortage

https://www.gizmodo.com.au/2021/02/biden-administration-says-it-will-address-global-chip-shortage/

19. jpw007

jpw007 Member

Not much to be jealous at in recent years with Intel tbh. Poor generational improvements but generally poorer backwards socket compatability requiring motherboard changes too. (1151 lasted a while ~5yrs iirc, but still, constantly needed new generation of boards even for the same socket...1151 gen 1 then 1151 gen 2...)
    Though AMD did leave the B350 etc brigade without being able to get the 5000 series which was a bit shit, and i vaguely remmeber that coming down to the available memory of the bios chip not being sufficient to add further support. Planned obselesents i'm not sure, though still they've been using AM4 socket for some generations now and have had remarkable improvements still.

Goes to show you don't need to change the socket as frequently as Intel made us all believe they did. I know as enthusiasts it's not as bad since we enjoy this stuff, but it's pretty shitty practice imo.

20. HobartTas

HobartTas Member

Do you know what's the main difference between these two CPU's to account for such a large pricing difference?

Processor Pricing (Excl. VAT) Cores / Threads Base Clock (GHz) L3 Cache (MB) Part Number

Core i9-11900K $604 8 / 16 3.5 16 BX8070811900K

Core i7-11700K $455 8 / 16 3.6 16 BX8070811700K