1. OCAU Merchandise is available! Check out our 20th Anniversary Mugs, Classic Logo Shirts and much more! Discussion in this thread.
    Dismiss Notice

Intel 13th Gen Raptor Lake Desktop CPUs 2022 - More Cores & 55% Increased Cache

Discussion in 'Intel x86 CPUs and chipsets' started by DiGiTaL MoNkEY, Jan 15, 2022.

1. DiGiTaL MoNkEY

DiGiTaL MoNkEY Inverted Monkey

One generation launches and details about the next always start to leak...

[​IMG]

According to the leaked data, the lineup will consist of three segments that were leaked out in the recent power recommendations. These include the 'K' series enthusiast SKUs rated at 125W, 65W mainstream SKUs, and 35W low-power SKUs. Coming to the top-end variants, we will be getting up to 24 cores followed by 16 core, 10 core, 4 core, and 2 core variants. The SKUs are detailed below:

• Intel Core i9 K-Series (8 Golden + 16 Grace) = 24 Cores / 32 Threads / 68 MB?
    • Intel Core i7 K-Series (8 Golden + 8 Grace) = 16 Cores / 24 Threads / 54 MB?
    • Intel Core i5 K-Series (6 Golden + 8 Grace) = 14 Cores / 20 Threads / 44 MB?
    • Intel Core i5 S-Series (6 Golden + 4 Grace) = 14 Cores / 16 Threads / 37 MB?
    • Intel Core i3 S-Series (4 Golden + 0 Grace) = 4 Cores / 8 Threads / 20 MB?
    • Intel Pentium S-Series (2 Golden + 0 Grace) = 4 Cores / 4 Threads / 10 MB?
    Intel Raptor Lake & Alder Lake CPU Cache Configurations (Rumored):

• Raptor Lake P-Core L3 - 3 MB (3 x 8 = 24MB)
    • Alder Lake P-Core L3 - 3 MB (3 x 8 = 24 MB)
    • Raptor Lake P-Core L2 - 2 MB (2 x 8 = 16 MB)
    • Alder Lake P-Core L2 - 1.25 MB (1.25 x 8 = 10 MB)
    • Raptor Lake E-Core L3 - 3 MB (3 x 4 = 12 MB)
    • Alder Lake E-Core L3 - 2 MB (2 x 2 = 4 MB)
    • Raptor Lake E-Core L2 - 4 MB (4 x 4 = 16 MB)
    • Alder Lake E-Core L2 - 3 MB (3 x 2 = 6 MB)
    • Raptor Lake Total Cache (L3+L2) = 68 MB
    • Alder Lake Total Cache (L3 + L2) = 44 MB
    https://wccftech.com/intel-13th-gen...ke-s-desktop-cpu-power-requirements-revealed/

https://www.notebookcheck.net/Full-...minance-with-the-Core-i9-13900K.555908.0.html

https://wccftech.com/intel-13th-gen...r-alder-lake-for-enhanced-gaming-performance/

adamsleath likes this.
  2. HobartTas

HobartTas Member

As interesting as this news is the only time I utilize my 10700K fully is when I'm gaming so unless the FPS performance increases by say 20% or more then I won't be interested in upgrading as it will be too expensive for probably too little gain. I'm running an RTX3080 on an ultra wide 1440p monitor comfortably anyway. Most games are either console ports or designed in tandem with them and since they are natively 8 core CPU's then I don't perceive any extra CPU's as being of any great use for 99% of the people out there.

Hotrod2go likes this.
  3. OP
    OP
    DiGiTaL MoNkEY

10700k is a great chip, and most people would rather put money towards a new gpu as the performance creases tend to matter more than what we are getting in the cpu arena. But it’s good to see companies are moving to putting more cache on there chips as based on AMDs 3d stacking memory in their processors the gains seems substantial with games (pending real life reviews)

Glad to see Intel getting some decent cpus out with alder lake and the revision raptor to keep AMD pushing as well!

4. Sledge

Sledge Member

I think it's the other way around..
    Intel have been sitting in their laurels, and due to AMD releasing decent chips Intel have been pushed to actually release something better for a change

shane41 and DiGiTaL MoNkEY like this.
  5. OP
    OP
    DiGiTaL MoNkEY

While they were for some time, if they did get screwed with their 10nm node issues making the most of their 14nm ++++++++++++++ if intel could have, they wouldn't have let AMD get away with the market like they for more than a few years. Didn't stop them from trying plenty of marketing tactics...that were a bit unsavory.

6. Sledge

Sledge Member

I think it's just a matter of AMD taking Intel by surprise

7. OP
    OP
    DiGiTaL MoNkEY

I guess Intel were hoping they had enough time to sort their process tech before their competition could get to their level...but sadly these things take years not months.

BuzzPuppy and Sledge like this.
  8. chainbolt

chainbolt Member

This is how I see it was well. Anyway, the result is good.

Sledge likes this.
  9. Hotrod2go

Hotrod2go Member

They were getting great cpus out early last year with RL, 8 cores is all that's needed for gaming with its 19% improvement over CL in IPC. Unless one is into scientific computing or something similar, don't see the point in upgrading every generation.
    Also if one has an MSI Z390,490 or 590 board, they could take advantage of MSI's unique "CPU lite mode" tech than customised the auto Vcore requirements depending on the quality of the silicon. This thread from a German computer enthusiasts forum explains why this MSI tech is a hidden gem in RL as long as one has an MSI board at least.

Last edited: Feb 11, 2022
    demowhc likes this.
  10. RnR

RnR Member

upload_2022-2-18_10-53-4.png

"Up to double digit performance boost"... wut? ~10% total performance increase? That can't be right?

11. OCMunkee

OCMunkee Member

AI M.2 module -> i.e. an M.2 compatible Machine Learning booster of some description?
    Is this.. using RaptorLake or supported BY RaptorLake..?

12. RnR

RnR Member

"Enhanced overclocking features"... I think they were struggling to put stuff on that slide.

There are already M.2 AI accelerators out there;
    And yeah... M.2 should mean any cpu/motherboard combo should be able to use it. Unless Intel does driver shenanigans such that only Raptor Lake cpu's can run the AI accelerator drivers...

13. OCMunkee

OCMunkee Member

Cool that was my understanding, just couldn't see why it was mentioned as part of Raptor Lake...

14. issa2006

issa2006 Member

I'm a Intel person after paying 1600$ for the first amd 4800x dual chip, n have 11months of compatibility prob, till amd release the game driver (fix a clock cal, fix when a software was split iver 2 cpu, would become u stable after a few hours...)

I whe intel after that.

But not so happy with the new 12gen, instead of putting 10 or 16 cores like amd (primary ones) , they just added some slower ones, which now need new software update, to fix when the cpus use what.

It was better when all the cpu code are the same.

They did improve performance from 11g 1 core to 12g primary core , core to core.
    (Ie if you disable 2nd slower cores it become a 8 core, like 11gen core 9. And same games run better with same ddr4 ram n gpu(3080ti).

What I want (like amd), is not 40 billion slow cores, rise processor done that years ago....

You have a workstation cpus for professionals, x99,x299 etc, and regular platform for everyone else (make 8 yo 10 core standard, that what games want,

Optimise 8 or 10(12) core for gaming, etc, faster more effective cycles..

Gaming even in future won't need more than 8 for now (2 extra allows for software encoding, and gener Windows stuff running in background.

You need to match at minimum the xbox,playstztion 8 core setup, so, platform get all games running well on them.

Most current games use 4core, a few games take advantage of some extra core , which you see a improvement in fps etc (depending on game)

I found having 2 x extra cpu allows system to not struggle with k
    Other things running on the background (2nd screen showing info, teamspeak, clock cpu usage,gou usage etc)

You cab also use software recording, with the extra cpus, it does not effect the gpu at all.
    (As long you record video to a diff drive source.

Also I hate to saw this but amd better for power usage (in turn need less to cool the cpu)

The quality of the amd boards have gotten a lot better, n longer socket support..vs intel

My 6700k in my 270z, board, was pointless getting the 7700k chip, it ran the same speed in games...

15. v81

v81 Member

Up to

Let me translate...

"We found this one obscure, useless artificial benchmark that favored this architecture so we're going to tell everyone 10%, but don't expect more than 1 or 2 % on anything useful"

16. macktheknife

macktheknife Member

Assuming it's a percentage.

Going from 400 fps in counterstrike to 410 fps is a "double digit performance boost" but only a 2.5% increase.

17. OCMunkee

OCMunkee Member

Ahh fudging statistics for marketing, classic technique.

macktheknife likes this.