Intel and Nvidia do cross license agreement.

Discussion in 'Intel x86 CPUs and chipsets' started by stmok, Jan 11, 2011.

1. stmok

stmok Member

Intel Announces New Patent Cross License Agreement with NVIDIA
    => http://newsroom.intel.com/community...ew-patent-cross-license-agreement-with-nvidia

Intel/NVIDIA bombshell: two rivals team up
    => http://arstechnica.com/business/new...ook-for-nvidia-gpu-on-intel-processor-die.ars

Remember: could use is not will use.

I suppose it allows Intel to be more competitive with AMD's upcoming/future mainstream APUs. (Ones with more powerful GPU-based IGPs.) ...Intel's Plan B? Who knows. Time will tell.

2. Jashobeam

Jashobeam Member

Wow. I guess I should've seen this coming, but I didn't.

3. terrastrife

terrastrife Member

but its intel, evenif they use it it wont bare any nvidia name so the mass market doesnt really care... cough gma500 cough :)

4. OP
    OP
    stmok

stmok Member

With the GMA 500, Intel outright licensed a whole design to manufacture (the SGX 535 from PowerVR); because they don't have any low powered graphics solutions in-house. They then commissioned a third-party (Tungsten Graphics) to write the drivers for Windows and Linux...Linux users were frustrated because it was poorly written and maintained; as it only worked for specific versions of components in a distro.

...This is different.
    (Now updated with correction in ars-technica article.)

So really, this is using patents to hit back.
    Nvidia => Squeeze me out of the x86 market, eh? I'll make your life miserable with the intellectual property I have on GPU technology...Of course, we could settle this if you "compensate" me over a set period. Yes, US$1.5 Billion over 5 years sounds good. ;)

Nvidia has patents such that if you ever become wide spread or successful with your own GPU; they're gonna want some royalties out of you.

5. Camm

Camm Member

Considering what AMD is doing with cpu\gpu solutions and integrated into chipsets, this was needed especially with the non-start of larabee.

6. OP
    OP
    stmok

stmok Member

This isn't about the acquisition of technology or ideas. Intel isn't going to make a GPU or take ideas from Nvidia technology.

This is about Nvidia using patents as a method of compensation for being squeezed out of the x86 market.

Intel is going to do their own stuff. Nvidia is doing the same...Nvidia has no intentions of making an x86 CPU or coming back to the chipset market. Its done, their chipset guys have been transferred to other work. Nvidia are going ARM architecture with their Project Denver.