Intel and Nvidia headed for licensing stand-off

Discussion in 'Intel x86 CPUs and chipsets' started by RAiMA, May 31, 2008.

1. RAiMA

RAiMA (Banned or Deleted)

Source

I think Nvidia needs a reality check and get their head out of their asses. People are already pissed off with not being able to SLI on intel chipsets :rolleyes:

2. Bladen

Bladen Member

The way things are going though, many midstream and high end gamers may be considering AMD due to Nehalem not allowing overclocking except for extreme high end.

3. Lei

Lei Member

:) Intel is actually trying to do the same.

4. stablez

stablez Member

whats the G.O
    Are nividia scared they'll loose profit. In fact this is a brilliant investment.
    Many enthusiast will but intel SLI mobo's
    ATI=AMD.
    Nividia=Intel.

They'll do something cause this is in the consumers interest
    Still Nividia will be the road show VGA front runner. Whats up..
    Nividia is holding out. They are probably happy with the sales of the Nividia
    chip mobos and graphics cards.
    I think AMD and ATI did a bum chum deal. Intel and Nividia want to lead on there own.;)

5. oohms

oohms Member

If intel chipsets can do sli in the future, there will be 0 reason to go for an nvidia chipset. Nvidia are probably trying to keep their foot in the door with respect to the high end chipset market.

6. Mau1wurf1977

Mau1wurf1977 (Banned or Deleted)

100% agree with your comment!

Also if Intel board can do SLI, I and many would be inclined to just a buy a 2nd video card "because you can"...

Crossfire X with 2x 4870X2 cards might be they way to go?

7. Kelvin

Kelvin Member

Nvidia is playing a very dangerous game..

If they get shut out of the Intel chipset market.. and if things go relationships go sour with AMD/ATI... they are left building chipset for VIA... great..

Personally I'd like to see Nvidia exit the chipset market and just build good video cards.. and open up SLI for both platforms...

There simply no way.. that NVIDIA is going to be able to build better chipset for Intel platforms than intel.. or better chipsets than ATI for AMD platforms. The only reason people buy nvidia chipsets and put up with is inferior capabilities and bugginess is for SLI support..

Look at all the other chipset maker SIS / VIA.. they basically occupy a tiny percentage of the low end market..

AMD / ATI has has no particular reason to support nvidia (ie their no 1 graphics card competitor) .. If NVidia relationship with Intel sours.. and AMD/ ATI could kill their relationship with nvidia..... ATi could theorectially take back the number one graphics position....

8. terrastrife

terrastrife Member

but if NV are to acquire VIA and the x96 licence... then NV wont need the Nehalem giant and make their own cpu :)

9. NewKleer

NewKleer Member

good on intel for the counter licensing issue with nehalem - before that, it was basically one sided, and why would nvidia want to give up a reason they can charge +$200 on every motherboard over intel equivalents.

if it goes ahead, nvidia would actually have to make reasonably priced motherboards

10. Kelvin

Kelvin Member

Isn't there a nice clause somewhere to say that that the intel x86 licenses, are not transferable.. hence should AMD ever be taken over by say... IBM... they would immediate loose their x86 license.... I assume a similar situation would exist for the vi's x86. license....

happy to be corrected if I am wrong...

11. Onyx

Onyx Member

I've yet to be convinced SLI is a superior implementation of multiple graphics cards in a single system, compared with Crossfire.

If Nehalem supports Crossfire (as has Intel chipsets in recent past), this deal going sour would be a far bigger loss for nVidia than it would for Intel. Sure it's 'nice' to have SLI support for Intel, but they can live without it (pending how competitive ATI's offerings are that is); but nVidia would be severely disadvantaged if they can't implement the license to make mobos for Intel CPUs - being dependent on a competitor for their livelihood.

12. alvarez

alvarez Member

I think that could very easily turn into a shoot themselves in the foot situation

13. Xplora

Xplora Member

The very reason companies are bought out is BECAUSE they have deals and property that are impossible to acquire without buying the whole company. ATI and AMD are a great example. AMD just could not create a video card rivalling NV for years; ATI has that power, so they bought them out.

ANy licences that VIA holds becomes property of NV, because technically, VIA would still be VIA. NV just acquires the ability to look over their shoulder when they look at the x86 plans, because the boss can do whatever they like :)

VIA acquisition would be a great move, and heavily marginalise Intel. It doesn't matter how big they are, they will only survive with onboard graphics for so long. The only people that need fast CPUs need fast GPUs as well. We are reaching a point where a fast GPU is way more important to most people than a fast CPU (and its cheaper as well!).

Fascinating stuff.

14. Kelvin

Kelvin Member

its far more complicated that this..

Heres a few links...
    http://www.xbitlabs.com/news/cpu/di...D_Despite_of_Chances_to_Lose_x86_License.html

http://techreport.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=58083

http://www.xbitlabs.com/news/chipse...edly_Seeks_to_Take_Over_Via_Technologies.html

Nvidia with a CPU division, but no X86 license would be utterly useless.

I'll also debate the statement about fast GPUs..

Most people don't need a fast GPU.. integrated graphics solutions is fine for most business machines.. even my HTPC is fine wih intel GMA950 video.. its gamers that drive the high end market.. but the real market share is in the business machines.. and is owned by Intel...

The AMD buyout of ATi.. will eventually be viewed as one of the dumbest decisions in computing history... this acquistion has literally set both companies back 1 or 2 years... and one or two years is a long time in computing history..

Last edited: Jun 2, 2008
  15. stuii

stuii Member

Site proof - 3870x2 took performance 'crown' for a bit and forced Nvidia to release 9800GX2 - how is this 2 years behind?

Integrated mem controller... not on intel yet... who's behind?

it's a circular argument

16. Kelvin

Kelvin Member

An obvious ATI / AMD fanboi...

AMD 45nm process is currently.. so far behind Intel's it not funny.

Nvdia has consistently led ati since the days of the 6xxx series...

Integrated mem controller.. who gives a damn.. if the overall platform is much slower.

In fact the integrated controler is / was part of the downfall of AMD during the switch from DDR1 to DDR2 /DDR3 .. Are you that short sighted?

It was a migration that occured quickly for the Intel platform... given they had chipsets that could support both.. and could support the oodles of cheaper DDR2 memory that appeared overnight...

AMD.. had to released a whole CPU line.. to their detrinment.. that proved to be no faster...

The combined entity of AMD / ATI is worth less than what AMD paid for ATI...

The two indepedent companies. could have move quicker / react to market forces quicker than the single entity...

17. oohms

oohms Member

I dont think that really matters, because
    a) Nvidia is in bed with a LOT of game developers, even trying to get them to make games perform worse on ati cards.
    b) Consumers vote with their wallets.

I think they are funded by an arabic group of some kind. They did discontinue ATI chipsets for intel cpus, but that was a good thing, since they were pretty terrible (and still aren't that good, with AMD cpu's)

18. MysterioX

MysterioX Member

AMD didn`t buy ATI so they could start making videocards to compete with nVidia.
    They want to create a hybrid GPU-CPU processor in the future and they need ATI for that.
    THAT is why they bought them out.

19. conroe

conroe Member

This wouldn't be too bad if Nvidia know how to make a decent motherboard without problems :thumbdn:. As it stands they should let a company with more expertise handle it.

I'd say it's about time Intel take a stand.

Nvidia should concentrate on GPUs like Intel to motherboards.

Last edited: Jun 3, 2008
  20. stuii

stuii Member

Mate... Read up some more - this is why I said it was a circular argument. Besides - accusing me of being a fanboi is retty stupid, it says in the sig I'm Running Nvidia gear

Whilst Intel CPU's are faster at the moment it wasn't the case not long ago and tech wise I don't really think either of the companies are massively behind the other

So I submit to you that instead of me being an ATI fanboy - that you are instead a rabid Intel fanboi shooting off without thinking.