Intel Atom dual core is out!

Discussion in 'Intel x86 CPUs and chipsets' started by bassembler, Sep 8, 2008.

1. bassembler

bassembler New Member

Don't know how many of you guys would be interested in such a low performance chip, but it's really a stunning power saver, thus making it one perfect choice for building a Home Server. I'm waiting for this, and here is some short review I got from days of googling. Intel Atom dual core 330.

http://uneit.com/2008/09/05/intel-dual-core-atom-330-performance/

Wanna hear from you if this would make it for a Home Server while a Media Center. Keen to make that happen!

2. Lei

Lei Member

from those photos, I *guess* it is still not that friendly for full speed 1080p playback (no pic-e slot, no build-in dvi/hdmi).

:)

3. DiGiTaL MoNkEY

DiGiTaL MoNkEY Inverted Monkey

Companies like Asus & Gigabyte may try and make a board that can do that.

4. Lei

Lei Member

netbook is just a joke. I bought my eeepc last year before Christmas, that is a good asus netbook with nice software installed. total uptime since then is less than 2 hours - and within those 2 hours I actually spent around 1 hours searching on ebay/ocau/shopbot trying to find out how much I can sell this half decent toy.

:(

sure. that is a 945 chipset and there must be something can be added to make it 1080p ready.

5. DiGiTaL MoNkEY

Sorry Lei, thought it was the same store i read today...didn't check the link to show it was a separate board and not a netbook.

6. Hom3br3w

Hom3br3w Member

It depends on which chipset you use for Atom. the 945GC Chipset supports Atom and has 16x PCIE

7. SLATYE

SLATYE SLATYE, not SLAYTE

I think that Intel has requested that manufacturers don't use PCIe 16x with Atom mainboards, in an effort to keep people buying the Celerons. I'm not sure why; Atoms don't sell for that much less than Celerons, and they're cheaper to make.

8. DiGiTaL MoNkEY

I guess the alternative is Via, as i remember them showing off a system with a fully fledged nvidia card running crysis.

9. SLATYE

Yes. Via's Nano should provide good competition. It seems to be a fair bit quicker than the Atom, and that won't change in single-CPU applications.

Via know that just having somewhat better performance isn't good enough; as an added incentive, they're letting manufacturers do whatever they want with the mainboards and netbooks. In particular, you can have dedicated video, PCIe 16x, and 4GB of RAM with the Via chipsets. Intel won't allow PCIe 16x (which effectively limits the boards to onboard video) and only 2GB of RAM (or 1GB for the Silverthorne/Poulsbo).

10. chainbolt

chainbolt Member

The problem is that the 945 is a stoneold, outdated, good for nothing low-performer. :D

11. DiGiTaL MoNkEY

Mmm dual core...weird how they've split them up :S

[​IMG]

12. A||uSiOn

A||uSiOn Member

caeks.....

13. OP
    OP
    bassembler

bassembler New Member

Thanks guys. Guess I'll need to wait a little longer to see it fully tested if it could manage a 1080P playback. Hope it could.

14. Hom3br3w

Hom3br3w Member

Show me the lineup of LN2 toting hardcore overclockers that want to thrash this setup and then there may be a case for a G45 chipset....

15. stmok

stmok Member

Unless they get i945GC off the board, and replace it with a G45, I wouldn't hold my breath.

There's a PCI slot on there, and as I recall, I think Albatron has made a PCI GF8x00 series. You can use that to assist with 1080p playback.

*Checks their website*

Here it is...

Press Release (PCI based GeForce 8600GT, 8500GT, and 8400GS)
    http://www.albatron.com.tw/English/news/news_detail.asp?new=default&news_id=268

Product Page
    http://www.albatron.com.tw/English/Product/VGA/pro_list.asp?bus=PCI&gpu=9&gpuna=GeForce 8

No idea on price or availability.

16. underskore

underskore Member

im guessing that means no 8x either?

17. SLATYE

Probably. It seems likely that they're only allowing PCIe 1x slots.

It reminds me of a certain other CPU.

It's a good idea from Intel's point of view. This way, they're only actually making single-core Atom chips. To get a dual-core CPU, they just put two of the single-core chips on one package. This increases yields and makes it easier to adjust to demand.

18. TheNek

TheNek Member

This is going to be amazing. It will kill VIA's mini itx market and be a fantastic Mobo CPU combo for embedded systems.

things it could be used for:
    you could build a fanless HTPC that sitis behind your TV, or a Carputer with some great power and low power draw. ect ect ect....

19. Deja Vu

Deja Vu Member

Except that a decent HTPC will be outputting HD content which the atom can't keep up with, and cos you cant have a decent videocard on the thing its really not that flexible for this application

I'd prefer AMD's 2000+ cpu's for HTPC's as you could run them fanless and it would be higher performing with a better chipset

I'd much prefer the atom for little PC's for family use (internet & word processing machines)
    Or for little machines that are always on that use x86, like jukeboxes, atm's ect.

20. Stygian Shane

Stygian Shane Member

Considering one of these with 512MB of RAM and another NIC for router duties. Anyone here had any experience with linux or FreeBSD running on these little cheapies?