Intel Broadwell-E

Discussion in 'Intel x86 CPUs and chipsets' started by im late, Nov 16, 2015.

1. Paulie_AU

Paulie_AU Member

Well that seals it. My 4930K rock stable at 4.5 1.3v not worth the risk.

2. dasa2

dasa2 Member

can you leave that one core at 4ghz and take the rest higher?
    or does it only allow you to take one core higher than the rest

edit
    found some ipc tests at sweclockers.com
    looks like broadwell-e is ~10-12% faster in games at the same clock speed once the res is dropped to reduce the gpu bottleneck
    ~8% in cinbench ~3% behind skylake
    ~5% lightroom export
    but the ram may have been 2400-15-15-15 vs 2133-15-15-15 which could account for some of the improvement
    https://translate.googleusercontent...sg=ALkJrhj3n_H_MhZ-urT7-EckYc99syhsbQ#content

Last edited: Jun 13, 2016
  3. Punster

Punster Member

I guess I could, since it lets me do per core increments, vs all cores. Gonna leave it at 4GHz for a few weeks before having another go.

Having gone from a 4770K @ 4.2GHz the loss in FPS is like 2-3% at most from my general testing.

I went a 6-core/32GB DDR for running VM labs etc anyhow, so not a massive issue if the clocking is not awesome.

4. nCrypt

nCrypt Member

Accountant has told me i need more 'business' expenses before end of financial year.

6950X here i come, tax write off, cpu for office pc :cool:

5. PureFire

PureFire Member

You can get a 6850K, GTX 1080 and a Samsung 950 pro for the same cost, or less, than one 6950X.

Or a 6900K, Asus Deluxe II mobo and DDR4 RAM for the same cost as one 6950X.

The 6950X just doesnt add up.

6. nCrypt

nCrypt Member

yea it doesn't add up, but im a nut. Already have 2 x99 systems, no point bothering with the new cpus, its 6950x or nothing!

7. Kelvin

Kelvin Member

?You selling that 5960X now :lol: You know 10 cores is better than 8....
    I've got a spare Asrock mATX fatality that needs a CPU..:D

8. Aratahu

Aratahu Member

Ok, my system is now on order. I ended up tossing a coin between the H115i and H110i coolers... Very hard to google the H115i which is an ever so slightly revised / more compact version of the H110i GTX but mostly a new name. There was also the Kraken X61 but in the end I've been doing my head in OCDing about computer parts until the early hours and had just click the order button.

Anyway, should be good. I can't wait to see what my loading times in Visual Studio are going to be like, and the responsiveness of my test runners who will now have more cores to play.

Reading about the NVME tech makes my eyes drool, surely all those parallel queues will have to factor in on a project that is containing some 50k odd files when all the resources have been factored in. My current Sandy Bridge Sata controller is not even a fully fledged Sata 3 one. :)

ASUS - ROG STRIX X99 GAMING
    Corsair H115i
    EVGA SuperNOVA P2 1000W
    DDR4 - G.Skill - F4-3200C16Q-32GTZB
    Phanteks Enthoo Evolv Black ATX Case
    Samsung 950 PRO 512GB SSD

(This will be fitted with my existing 2x 980 Superclocked cards on an Acer X34, sounding off with the Soundblaster ZXR PCIE card.)

So, from the latest posts I won't be expecting to go past 4.2ghz on this CPU, however if I do then that'll be a nice bonus. Hopefully I can get my memory up and running at a reasonably good pace.

Thanks to Scorptec for their help, and to the other users on the DDR4 thread I created as I was especially clueless when it came to the memory.

There will be pictures.

9. Scum

Scum Member

do it, do it now
    dont forget the RAMPAGE V EDITION 10

Last edited: Jun 14, 2016
  10. Radley

Radley Member

A wild Scum appears.

Are you looking at Broadwell-E or giving it a miss?

11. nCrypt

nCrypt Member

haha, replaced the asrock matx with an evga micro2 :D (but have no cpu for the evga board at present, thats where the 5960x will be heading!)

Already have a Strix x99 board. couldnt wait!

so yeah, meeting with the accountant today, as i have 2 weeks and was told over the phone need some more 'business expenses' before EOFY, so hoping to given credeance to a $2.5k cpu, and claim it as 'office server', will see how i go!

12. gokurulz10000

gokurulz10000 Member

13. Radley

Radley Member

That board is so stupid. Why are we such suckers?!

14. Scum

Scum Member

giving it a miss, would have purchased one if the pricing had been in line with previous x releases

RAMPAGE V EDITION 10 $999 :lol:

15. nCrypt

nCrypt Member

agreed. the $599 pricing of the ROG Strix is so much more attractive then the rampage v edition 10 @ $999

yeah, crazy price. id get one for the sake of having one, if i was upgrading from S775 lol too S2011-3

16. OP
    OP
    im late

im late Member

So clearly purchasers are funding the internal Asus ROG 10th anniversary party.

So that + a 6950X = $3500.00.

You (not saying you goku) would have to be a dumb fuck to spend that much on a CPU and mainboard.

Like seriously, you would have to be.

Oh yeah you are the sort of person that buys it thinking people will be envious of you, but you use the excuse of "oh I just like having the latest and best" line...

Oh please no one is envious and no one gives a shit.

But wait....there are people envious of you....little pimply teenagers.....

17. gokurulz10000

gokurulz10000 Member

agreed - I would not spend that kind of $$ on it, would rather buy a dual socket Asus and go down the xeon route :)

18. Radley

Radley Member

You would be crazy to buy the extreme over a Xeon, especially if it's cores you're after.

19. Aratahu

Aratahu Member

Just got all my stuff yesterday. Will build over the weekend.

Off topic, but I'm blown away by how cool the anthracite grey Enthoo Evolv ATX case looks. It reflects surrounding light in a very cool way; superb finish and build quality as well. This coming from an Antec 902.

Also the Trident Z sticks look and feel awesome as well. Very weighty aluminium coolers.

Geek bliss. :)

20. VizWiz

VizWiz Member

Agreed, very nice case, here are a couple of rushed pics from my build last weekend http://imgur.com/a/YGYq8 (Have set up a new desk since then)