Intel Broadwell-E

Discussion in 'Intel x86 CPUs and chipsets' started by im late, Nov 16, 2015.

1. Supersize

Supersize Member

Broadwell-e could be different, but with Haswell-e (I have a 5820k/Gaming 7 setup here) anything over 2666Mhz ram the BCLK runs at 125Mhz, same with a lot of the guys (even with 5960x/rampage v) over at Overclock.net.
    bart5986 posted this a while ago.
    http://forums.overclockers.com.au/showthread.php?t=1155549

This is why I was asking the questions about which ram in the first place :p

If Broadwell-e setups doesn't do that, great I now know I can get faster ram without the BCLK being messed with, I was looking at the same ram kit as you in the first place to go with a 6850k and ROG Strix :lol:

2. Aratahu

Aratahu Member

Cool. :D Well, I'm brand new to the platform, and the ram seems to work fine with my Strix. It ought to, seeing as it's on Asus' compatibility list for this board.

Got to load those XMP files though or it was random bluescreen hell. ;)

Also that 950 NVME m.2, it took some force to be inserted. You knew it when it was in! I hadn't inserted it properly on my first time. Even then it still didn't show in bios, but did eventually present itself once I chose the right compatibility mode settings... Blergh.

Might just share two shots of my build before I finish up a proper album...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 19, 2016
  3. Supersize

Supersize Member

That's good to know, I'm planning on getting a Samsung 950 as well.
    Sounds like I'll have to do a clean install and won't be able to clone my current boot SSD..

Oh and you got the case I had my eye on too, wanted to downsize from the Primo, which is taking up so much desk real estate.

Last edited: Jun 20, 2016
  4. SCORPTEC

SCORPTEC Member

Build looks awesome Aratahu :thumbup:

5. Aratahu

Aratahu Member

That *might* be a good idea. I honestly don't know. However there are definitely benefits in a clean build for a new new chipset (?) etc.

My path was to install Windows 8 Pro using an old spare key, ensure it got activated, then immediately kick off the Win10 upgrade.

Windows 8 needed the LAN drivers for connectivity; transferred via USB.

After I completed the Win10 upgrade, I checked the upgrade list for fun and it was 3 pages long of Broadwell chipset drivers etc.

I didn't dwell on it but once I confirmed Win10 was activated, I did a full reset with delete all files (no need for secure wipe). As part of the reset Windows update got most of the critical drivers before I could log in.

Got the exclusive 950 driver from Samsung, and Magician - set up 8% OP.

Also installed Intel chipset driver from Asus Strix' file list. And Intel's TurboMax driver for the free 4ghz overclock (goes across all 6 cores).

Cheers, yep, love it - thanks heaps for your help Scorptec! :)

I can get a bit OCD with cabling; as such the Enthoo case was a dream to work with, sliding tray for radiator and lots of nice cable holes throughout. Love the h115i water cooler; really cannot hear the pump at all. Can't wait to get the time to find the lowest voltages I can run stock at and lock in the numbers; will then see about overclocking after.

6. SCORPTEC

SCORPTEC Member

No worries at all!

Enthoo cases are a dream to build in... definitely getting one when I next upgrade CPU/MB.

7. nCrypt

nCrypt Member

Ye, enjoyed my phanteks mini xl when having 2 skylake systems for the OC comp.

But after have 3 caselabs cases, going to be hard to use anything but, unless price is factor of course, haha

8. OP
    OP
    im late

im late Member

This is pretty much summing up how everyone is feeling right now (not suitable for work - lots of F-bombing..). :lol::lol::lol:

9. Punster

Punster Member

I just used Acronis to restore to dissimilar hardware (the USB you can make) where it rips out all your drivers, hardware ID's and other items to allow for windows to fresh install them all. Worked a treat with my SSD.

10. OJR

OJR Member

^^ Still a dirty way of doing it. Don't be lazy do a clean install.

11. Supersize

Supersize Member

I'm due for a clean install anyway.
    I have a retail copy of Windows 8.1 Pro, from what I was told I can move it to any hardware I buy, so that will make the Windows 10 install quicker.
    Plus the beauty of STEAM you don't even need to reinstall it.

I settled on the ram, will be getting some Corsair Vengeance LPX CMK32GX4M4B2800C14 (14-16-16-36), seen people able to overclock it to 3200Mhz, so it's worth a tinker :p

12. glnn_23

glnn_23 Member

13. PureFire

PureFire Member

Out of curiosity can you do some single threaded benches?

14. Radley

Radley Member

You're doing something wrong then as I didn't need any force to put mine in.
    Agree. My Primo is so easy and good for cable management, even with 7 SATA devices and a custom water loop with 2 rads.
    If you're building a new system why would you waste time recovering an OS? Clean install all the way. I have OS on an SSD, games on another SSD and other assorted media on platter drives. When I have to fresh install I don't lose any data.
    WTF is so hard about choosing a PSU? As long as it's modular and enough watts it's fine.

Last edited: Jun 22, 2016
  15. Modafroman

Modafroman Member

Got my 6850K and 950 Pro, the painful wait for all the other things to come :(

Too many choices :p figured 850w should be enough. Thinking either RM850i or HX850i. Hrm!

Shame that my HX1000 is noisy and only semi modular, it's a great PSU otherwise,

16. Supersize

Supersize Member

I'm re-evaluating at the moment.

What do you guys think, I'm don't know whether to go with a 6800k or a 6850k.

Now I know 100% I will not use all 40 PCIe lanes, as I'll only be using 1 GPU (1080p gamer) and a 950 Pro.
    For sound I have a DAC so there won't be any other PCIe devices.

Knowing that would you spend the extra $300 on the 6850k?

17. OP
    OP
    im late

im late Member

You pretty much answered your own question.

There is a 100MHz base increase (which any OC can cover easily) and 40 lanes. That is it.

6800K is suited to your needs nothing more.

18. Supersize

Supersize Member

Yeah I know, but there's nothing like a little bit of "that's the right choice" to make you feel at ease.. :lol:

19. OP
    OP
    im late

im late Member

6800K - That's the right choice. :thumbup:

20. Kelvin

Kelvin Member

Why not a secondhand 5930k.. Should be around the same price or cheaper than a 6800k...