Intel Broadwell-E

Discussion in 'Intel x86 CPUs and chipsets' started by im late, Nov 16, 2015.

1. HobartTas

HobartTas Member

A couple of years back Anandtech? used to do testing where they would tape off some of the pins on a videocard and run it in PCI-e X16, X8 and X4 modes and the X16 and X8 would have practically no difference whereas X4 dropped a fair amount. Kindly also remember that PCI-e Ver 1.0 is 255MB's per lane bi-directionally (which is what Anandtech was using as that was all that was available at the time), Ver 2.0 is 500 MB's per lane and Ver 3.0 is 1 GB's per lane so I don't think bandwidth is as much of an issue anymore even if you run two cards in X8/X8 mode. I guess if someone has posted something like 3Dmark benchmarks like 1080's in SLI with a 6800K and someone else has done the same with a 6850K with the motherboard being the same you could work out whether X16/X16 is radically different to X8/X8 or not.

I don't think you probably need it unless you (a) are going to run 2 video cards and (b) run at 4K res or (c) going to run this over 3 screens. The $300.00 would be better spend on getting a better video card e.g. upgrading to a 1080 if you were originally going to get a 1070 or alternatively putting that $300 towards a second 1080.

Actually thinking about it further if you can benefit well from SLI with something like BF4/Battlefront I'd use that $300 and upgrade the 1080 to two 1070's in SLI.

Cheers

2. Aratahu

Aratahu Member

Let me rephrase; it needs to be pushed in, and a certain amount of force above the bare minimum was required in my case. For my 950 & Strix. There was a definite feeling of it when it clicked / slid into place.

That's what I thought... Had picked that Corsair HX850i then I started reading reports of fan clicking noises around idle. Didn't take any chances and went with an EVGA. The only "bad" thing about it is that the VGA cables are red. :)

I don't know. One thing is that the Turbo Boost Max feature currently works as a guaranteed overclock of kinds for my 6850k. All I need to do is to enable performance mode on my Win10 power profile and I'm locked to 3.96Ghz; the only thing I touched in Bios was to enable XMP for memory - my 3200mhz won't function properly otherwise (memory bluescreens).

Having said that I'm confused now, I thought boost was meant to be 3.8ghz over 3.6, yet I'm still seeing 3.96 (=~4ghz) . Maximum speed is still listed at 3.60 Ghz.

[​IMG]

3. Ck21

Ck21 Member

So what temps/with what coolers are you guys with Broadwell-E seeing?

Been roaming all over the net trying to find temps/coolers on broadwell-e and not finding much info on the 8core+ sku's.

I'll be grabbing a xeon 2640 v4 (10c/20T 2.4GHZ-3.4ghz @ 90tdp) with my tax refund, and will probably end up getting the Swiftech H220 X2 AIO to cool it but yeah, would like to know more about the temp profile of broadwell-e to better plan my upcoming build :thumbup:

4. Supersize

Supersize Member

Look at your core voltage, it's 1.32v for 4Ghz, people are doing doing 4Ghz with 1.25volts.
    I'm guessing you've left it set to adaptive, I recommend setting a manual or offset voltage and fiddle with the core clocks by setting a manual turbo boost.
    Turbo Boost Max is usually a BIOS "overclock" tweak, but like I said you're pulling a heck of a lot of extra voltages for no reason.
    Plus there's no need to be running the CPU a full speed all the time, let it idle down when doing light work on the desktop.

Here's a good guide done by Asus:

The Broadwell-E overclocking guide
    http://edgeup.asus.com/2016/06/17/broadwell-e-overclocking-guide/

5. Aratahu

Aratahu Member

Thanks, as noted I haven't touched the settings yet. Also I am not normally leaving it running maxed out - I just did it for observation and to see what it's capable of.

I will go through the settings and do a more proper overclocking once I recover from the very late build nights last weekend... This week has been a bit of hurt so far as a result. ;)

Thanks for the guide, that's exactly what I needed.

EDIT: Effit, 1.327 was stupid.. Saved my stock profile, uninstalled Turbomax, applied 42 multi and the Adaptive voltage of 1.2. CPU-z reports 1.302 voltage at this setting, a solid reduction. In ROG Realbench, CPU temps at around 49-61 across different cores [e.g. 49,50,49,56,59,53,60 - but this is constantly shifting according to test patterns] with silent h115i profile (max pump, can't hear it anyway) testing up to 32GB for 15 minutes passed. Water at 34.1c at 11m; 34.3 at 13m. Will kick off a longer one now. Yeah nothing too aggressive but seems better than the stupidly high auto voltage. Looks good as a first test.

Last edited: Jun 23, 2016
  6. Supersize

Supersize Member

I really got into the "tinkering" side of things with x99, I've only ever owned consumer hardware.

I love it, the ability to fine tune everything, tweak settings far beyond the consumer product.
    Yeah you might pay a little more (ok a lot more), but sometimes it's worth it to have a little extra fun.

When I got my 5820k (will be handed to my wife when I get the new build) I spent months tweaking, dialing in overclocks etc, even when the machine was stable I go back a few weeks later and try again.
    I know this MSI board well now, only switching to the Strix because I like the look, don't like the look of the new MSI boards. :lol:

Looking forward to tinkering with Broadwell-e now, 2 weeks can't come quick enough :thumbup:

7. mojos

mojos Member

I wish someone would hurry up and sell me the new rampage. I keep being tempted by the strix or deluxe II but thankfully I can't get 1080 classifieds yet either so no need to rush the build, yet.

8. one80

one80 Member

Have just seen the Rampage V 10 listed at PLE $999... ouch.

With a 6950X that would be nearly $4k - I'd have to sell a kidney for that :lol:

9. nCrypt

nCrypt Member

2nd that

5960x @ 4.7 + X99 Strix, only cost me half that new! and its not like a 6950X+rampage 10 would be twice as good, to justify twice the price.

10. OP
    OP
    im late

im late Member

HEDT (AKA 6950X & RV10E) and JUSTIFY should not be used in the same sentence..... :p:tongue::p:tongue:

11. Supersize

Supersize Member

Where's the like button.. :p

Anyone dropping $2500 on a 6950X won't care dropping $1000 on the RV10E, it'll all be about the benchmark scores and breaking world records. :thumbup:

12. OJR

OJR Member

I don't think too many people will be "dropping" money on these CPUs. All the top benchers will have them sent to them by the big companies (Gigabyte, Asus etc).

Anyone on OCAU have one of these 10 core babies yet?

13. OP
    OP
    im late

im late Member

There will probably be a few, but too embarrassed to put their hand up in fear of:

A. Been labeled an "e-peen-no-one-gives-a-shit" wanker

B. See A

I mean the dick measuring contest that has been going in this thread has been making me laugh my nuts off....:lol:

14. OP
    OP
    im late

im late Member

$2.5K for a fucking CPU??

Like is Intel doing some sort of human social experiment??

Only pro clockers or content creators will need to buy one.

And content creators will buy proper Xeons for their workstations and pro clockers will be given the hardware.

The is no market for 6950X for the average joe blow at this price point.

15. Aratahu

Aratahu Member

My 6850k held (in Realbench - edit) up for 4 hours at 4.2ghz, 1.302v. I then tried at 4.3ghz but it locked up after 3.5 hours. Increasing the offset didn't give me more than 1.302, so not sure why - will look later, happy with the increase of performance at lowered vcore (from auto).

Looks like I didn't win the bin lottery. Oh well. Still a good cpu.

16. adamsleath

adamsleath Member

..well, obviously, now you've said it

17. Modafroman

Modafroman Member

Damn it, I was going to grab the HX850i, now after looking at the clicking issues not so sure :o Doesn't look like the RM850i has the same issues, from what I can see it shares the same internals as the HX850i, with some slight mods to make it have better ripple (inline caps in the cables), but lowers the efficiency, and a different fan. So tossing up between those two, or going the EVGA route. Cables don't bother me since i'll be getting cablemod cables.

Hrm! I've spent hours googling reviews and am still confused haha.

18. Radley

Radley Member

It's just a power supply. Get any over 650 watt.

Anyone know how to set up a Strix board with water pump? Mine complains when posting. Also how to check the status of individual RAM sticks?

19. nCrypt

nCrypt Member

Not all power supplies are equal, Any gold rated psu will do. Should never cheap out on a PSU. Imo most important part in an expensive high end rig.

Also

i had the same issue on my x99 strix.

This is what i did.

1. if nothing plugged into cpu fan header, set under monitor in bios to 'ignore' cpu fan.

I did this originally, and worked fine.

2. Plug your radiator fans into the cpu header.

I now have my radiator fans (3x120mm TT RGB), and have the TT Controller pluged into the CPU Fan Header, and with the pump plugged into W Pump Header, works a treat.

20. Aetherone

Aetherone Member

Instead of googling for hours, work them and go for an AX850i instead?