1. If you're receiving a message that you are banned from the Current Events or Politics forums, it's not you specifically: those forums have been hidden for all users. For more info, see here.
    Dismiss Notice

Intel Broadwell-E

Discussion in 'Intel x86 CPUs and chipsets' started by im late, Nov 16, 2015.

1. OJR

OJR Member

See if you can track down a Fractal Define R4. Has to be the R4 version as the motherboard mounting tray is flat so the board can extend past the rubber grommets/cable holes.

This is what I'm running with my Rampage V Extreme. I wanted a mid tower case that can hold an EATX mobo.

I'll see if I have some pics...

Click to view full size!

I also have the side panel with the window. Looks goodman.

Last edited: Jul 27, 2016
  2. mojos

mojos Member

I like the fractal cases, I have 2 ARC's an R2 and R3 here so I could live with that. I wonder if the R5 will fit it.

3. OJR

OJR Member

No it doesn't, I checked. I looked for months before settling on the R4.

https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/341752-fractal-design-define-r5-e-atx/

There is always the Fractal Define XL R2 but that has that horrible PSU mounting thing that will piss you off.

4. mojos

mojos Member

Damn. I wonder if the Corsair Air 540 or 600C are any good. I'm starting to think it will just be easier to build my desktop gaming rig on another board. I can put the RVE 10 in my sim rig instead.

5. OJR

OJR Member

I have used a fair few Corsair cases. They are rickety and shithouse generally. thin steel, cheap plastics, lots of vibrations.

https://www.pccasegear.com/products/30077/phanteks-enthoo-primo-ultimate-black-red-edition

Have you considered that? It's probably one of the best cases you can get. Doesn't have to be that particular colour.

Last edited: Jul 27, 2016
  6. OP
    OP
    im late

im late Member

Corsair 450D holds my E-ATX board. Good quality (of course not the best like caselabs), but does the job fine. and small footprint:

[​IMG]

7. mojos

mojos Member

This is a tempting option. I can get my hands on a new R4 without too much hassle.

8. Cancerbero

Cancerbero Member

Hi,

I can't justify the price of the 6950x.
    I saw these 3 xeons being sold.

1: Intel Xeon E5-2630v4
    http://www.scorptec.com.au/product/CPU/Server_&_Workstation/63896-BX80660E52630V4

Similar to the 6950x, 10 cores and 20 threads for a lot less price ($1049)

2:Intel Xeon E5 2640 v4
    http://www.scorptec.com.au/product/CPU/Server_&_Workstation/63897-BX80660E52640V4

3:Intel Xeon E5 2650 v3
    http://www.scorptec.com.au/product/CPU/Server_&_Workstation/56293-BX80644E52650V3

Since I have never owned or used a xeon, I would like to know if the xeons cpu allow to use XMP RAM at 2800?

Which Xeon will you go for?

Thanks

9. PureFire

PureFire Member

The biggest difference between the 6950X and the linked Xeons is the clock speed, where the 6950X boosts to 4Ghz and is overclockable past that. The Xeons will only boost to 3-3.4Ghz depending on the chip (specs are listed for each one in the links) and will not be able to overclock like your consumer CPU.

Xeons also require ECC ram which AFAIK dont have an XMP profile, so they will only accept the ECC ram with speeds listed in the specs.

Basically if you are after the best all round performance CPU, then you wont find anything better than the 6950X, except when you pair the Xeon with another Xeon in a dual socket motherboard and only then will it beat the 6950X if the application scales with multi threaded workloads.

Another user on this forum is building an E5 2640 v4, so I am also quite interested to see how that performs, but its definitely not going to beat a 6950X.

10. Ck21

Ck21 Member

So good/bad news:

good: my cpu has arrived at the store from the disty :Pirate::thumbup:

bad: they cant get 4 sticks of the DDR4 ECC R-Dimm's i ordered. unknown eta on when more stock gets sent to AU distys.... :upset::thumbdn:

good: can cancel and get refunded my $552 back, and can order from newegg for $300.50AU delivered, and they have 20 sticks in stock. so i save $251.50. :thumbup::thumbup::D:leet::Pirate:

Bad: have to wait a few days for the refund to clear :upset:

Adding to what PureFire said, Xeons are also locked on memory speed, DDR4-1600 to DDR4-2133, need a micocode update in order to unlock DDR4-2400mhz mem multiplier (some 16gb stick ecc rdimms are available in 2400mhz). Im not sure if they can use regular ddr4, but dont see why not, it just wont run any higher then 2133mhz. In saying that, the whole point with xeons is ECC support.

My build goals are:
    1.) ultra workstation performance at lowest possible power consumption (electricity here costs are spastic here).
    2.) Must be as close to silent as i can get (pwm WC'ing will help massively here)
    3.) GPU passthrough. Will be running linux as host OS and Windows will be in a VM with the gpu passthrough for near native gaming performance.
    4.) provide occasional gaming abilities @ 1080/1600p with high-Ultra settings with low power draw for the next couple of years (GTX1070 fits the bill @ 154w max draw in games)

11. nCrypt

nCrypt Member

my caselabs s8 and TT core x9 both do e-atx

however i recommend not buying either.

1. s8 is nice, but rediculously expensive
    2 tt core x9 - this case is MASSIVE, and very HEAVY (lucky im 6ft4 and built like a brick shit house)

if you are a small lean sunhating basement dwelling stereotypical nerd, the TT X9 will be too big!

All 3 of my cases are horizontal motherboard mounts, i just prefer them over vertical mounts.

I really love the phanteks cases, havnt had much to do with them, but very nice experience.

also love corsair, but on the obsidian series. Other then that their cases are average.

12. Aetherone

Aetherone Member

The ancient Lian-Li PC-60 design* will take the piddly-little slightly E-ATX of most x99 boards. I've wedged my x99 classy in a PC-8 variant no worries; same with R3E in a first generation PC-60.

Upside: excellent build quality, all aluminum, tiny compared to most modern "ATX" cases.
    Downside: not cheap.

*Started with the PC-60 series (2000? 2001?) and recycled endlessly to now.

13. Ck21

Ck21 Member

IT HAS ARRIVED!! :leet::Pirate::thumbup:

behold:

Click to view full size!

now just waiting on the GPU & Ram to arrive, then the fun begins! :thumbup:

(waiting on EVGA GTX1070 FE + block, and 4x8gb DDR4 ECC 2133mhz Rdimm's)

14. OJR

OJR Member

That mobo is a work of art! :thumbup:

15. Bertross

Bertross Member

Yeah ive had a few Corsair cases and it vibrates a lot 350D using the 3.5" tray. The PSU Bust filter needs padding to. Moving to Phanteks now. :thumbup: :p Nice R5E :)

16. OJR

OJR Member

I hear you're getting one as well. :Paranoid:

17. Bertross

Bertross Member

Yeah i have my eye on one :)

Ill use my asus cc for it lol

18. gabgab1982

gabgab1982 Member

I was going to get a 6950x but ended up going dual xeon instead. I have E5-2666v3 which are 10c 3.1 all core turbo with no HT. I just ordered 2 E52689v4's though so would be interested to see how they perform in comparison to the lower clocked 2666v3 and even the 6950x.

Will update this forum when they arrive and i get a chance to test them. Any tests people want me to do please let me know.

Edit. Also you can only run xeon at the specs of the cpu. So v3 is 2133 and v4 2400. Can run a little hight with bclk overclock. This is for E5-2600 series.

Last edited: Aug 1, 2016
  19. ChinoPD

ChinoPD Member

I'm still patiently waiting for a Ti announcement or release. I've already budgeted for an entirely new rig making a move from a 24" 1080 to 1440 27". I've assessed a bigger screen with 4K but I value having greater than 60fps and believe a 1440 will be a pretty nice jump. I've had the ASUS PG279Q 27" monitor on my list, but have been reading really good things about the Acer Predator XB271HU 27in monitor.

20. PureFire

PureFire Member

Ive been considering what CPU to purchase over the last month or so while I wait for the tax return to complete and think I will go with a 6900K at this stage, over a Xeon, as the price difference of the nearest Xeon to 6900K in terms of price and speed isnt that far off and you lose some single threaded performance with a Xeon.

Double the cores over my current 4770K would be very nice indeed for 3D renders and media encoding.