Intel Broadwell-E

Discussion in 'Intel x86 CPUs and chipsets' started by im late, Nov 16, 2015.

1. Ck21

Ck21 Member

they sure its the cpu and not the motherboard?

pretty rare for a cpu to cark it on so little volts

2. Aratahu

Aratahu Member

Yep, which is why they said it is extremely rare I guess, and accepted it as a warranty claim.

The two week processing period is bad timing right now; I have two weeks off and was looking forward to a combination of learning new stuff and playing a few games.

Just as well I never tried putting more than 1.35 in it (still under what yielded by automatic) for 4.3 briefly and then gave up, settling for 4.2 at 1.3v.

EDIT: I should perhaps add I've got the PC sitting on a UPS, behind a voltage regulator. So the power is filtered twice. There were no power events when this happened.

Last edited: Aug 2, 2016
  3. gabgab1982

gabgab1982 Member

What is a AVX workload? Is there anyway to increase the TDP limit of the chips or are they hard locked?

4. xtreme2k

xtreme2k Member

AVX
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Advanced_Vector_Extensions

Not that I know of. Xeon will scale back the Turbo to stay within the TDP judging from what hwinfo64 is showing.

5. nCrypt

nCrypt Member

Should of yelled out, could have tested for you :) but Scorptec will look after you.

Interesting, when the CPU died, when you tried to turn the power on, would everything light up and stay on? but just not boot?

I had a 6700K died 2 days after purchase, and i had a 5930K die after 18 months.

my 6800K is plotting along. CPU's dying use to be rare, but i feel its more common then ever amongst skylake.haswelle/broadwelle, maybe just my luck!

Wouldn't be the volts that killed it.

My 1st 6700K died without even changing a single setting in bios.

my 5930K died after 18 months of running at 4.6Ghz 1.32V. But the cpu still booted and posted, would just freeze/bsod at the same point, and 2 different rigs.

Luck of the draw. Sometimes, things die.

Just think about how many cpu's the manufacture, to how many actually make the shelves, no tech company has a 100% yield.

Just bad luck my friend.

6. SCORPTEC

SCORPTEC Member

Hey Aratahu,

Check your PMs, someone from warranty should be in touch shortly :thumbup:

7. Aratahu

Aratahu Member

Far out, you guys rock. So happy I've been a customer of yours since 2002.

EDIT: Can't believe the turnaround time on it either - I took it directly to Clayton yesterday, nice little drive but that's the heart of the operations so knew that'd be the place to go. And then later in the afternoon got confirmation the CPU had been identified as the culprit, super quick. And then, this morning, to learn my PC is ready for pickup. That's just amazingly good customer service and thanks very much @Scorptec for looking after us. I'll be straight back into my upskilling now.

Thanks very much, yep they did! The motherboard's mood lights were pulsing a dark red (of sorrow?). No post code, just the pulsing mood lights. The CPU cooler fan and other motherboard lights would go on only for 0.5 to 1.5 seconds when pressing power, then immediately back to black with the pulsing red. Did try leaving it off unplugged for 10 minutes and then starting up again, but it just did the same - so I knew that was it for what I could do, got in the car to Scorptec.

Last edited: Aug 3, 2016
  8. Ck21

Ck21 Member

alright, got it all assembled.

pressed power.
    powers on, no signal on screen.
    mb led readout says 53, mem unspported or speed unsupported.

the ram is on the qvl list for this motherboard, im thinking i need to update the BIOS to support the cpu. tried putting in a single regular ddr4 stick in DIMM_1 and nothing in 2/3/4. still wont boot to UEFI BIOS, tried moving ram to slot 2, nothing, 3/4 also nothing.

so downloaded latest bios, put on a 4gb usb2 stick, insert into flashback port, pressed the button in for 3sec's. still wont boot.

whats the bet im gonna need a normal haswell-e cpu to flash the UEFI BIOS to get it working with my broadwell-e e5 xeon :(

figures... the moment i post, the damn thing boots! UEFI BIOS update worked. time to install a OS :thumbup:

Last edited: Aug 3, 2016
  9. Aratahu

Aratahu Member

So it looks like in addition to the CPU, at least 1 of my 4x Trident Z kit sticks are busted. I hadn't given Scorptec my password, so they weren't likely to have hit that.

F4-3200C16Q-32GTZB. Memtest86 won't start properly from USB, so using Windows Diagnostic. As a kit it immediately detected hardware error, when I eventually managed to get it to restart into Windows Memory Diagnostic Tool before bluescreening. Doing them one by one, I'm on to stick 2 out of 4 now.

I guess an upgrade to 64 GB would be ok, however I'm wondering if I ought to be afraid of something else - I mean what could possibly have caused both the CPU and at least one memory stick to go bad? Could the CPU going bad have caused it? As mention my power is dual stage filtered, with both an APC Line-R 1200 voltage regulator and a CyberPower UPS (I think it was 1600-something). I didn't see any light sags or anything when it went down.

It could be possible that the problem lies with the motherboard, when running more than 1 stick - haven't ruled that one out yet but will keep running through them.

2nd stick is going well so I should be good to rock on with just 16gb of memory for the time being. Thanks again Scorp for your help.

10. nCrypt

nCrypt Member

What ram slots your sticks in?

According to the manual if its not in 1 3 5 7 slots it wont work

11. Aratahu

Aratahu Member

They were in A1 B1 D1 C1 (according to E11712_STRIX_X99_GAMING_UM_V2_WEB.pdf p.1-5)

Edit: Tested them one by one, they were fine, then put them all back in. Everything is good; appears solid @ 4.2ghz / 1.29v etc. Could have been a slightly unseated memory chip, that would do it. Might have happened in reassembly, or in transport? Anyway, very glad it's all OK - and it's oh so good to have a working, new PC again. :)

Last edited: Aug 4, 2016
  12. Radley

Radley Member

Good idea. I've been using Dell U2713H's for a few years now and they're a great size and resolution. I've been thinking of changing, but I can't think of a better alternative. 3x24" 1200p, 3x27" 1440p, 3x25" 1440p, 34" ultrawide....

I STILL haven't had a chance to overclock my system. I'll wait to get a 1080 block but I'm not holding my breath to get good CPU clocks unfortunately.

13. Ck21

Ck21 Member

Well i think i hit the silicon lottery with this cpu. either that or the swiftech H220 EAIO cooler is massively underrated.

temps maxxed out at a comfy 36°c on the cpu (HT off) during a 2hour gaming session :leet::D:thumbup:

Im unsure if the sensors are correct, but apparently it idles at 0.74v and loads at 0.925v? if thats true power readings, thats one extremely power efficient CPU :wired::leet::thumbup:

Click to view full size!

Last edited: Aug 4, 2016
  14. gabgab1982

gabgab1982 Member

Sounds about right for a xeon. My E5-2666v3 135w barely hits 1.1v when benching all 10 cores 3.1Ghz.

I got my Broadwell-EPs last night. Just benching the 2666v3s a bit more before i put the E5-2689v4s in and see how they perform. There 165w so be interested in how many volts they need to reach 3.7Ghz on all 10 cores.

15. Radley

Radley Member

It's got quite a low clock and you had HT off...

16. mojos

mojos Member

Finally put my 6850K sim rig together last night and was able to do 4.3 @ 1.25 with no fine tuning. I was able to boot 4.4 @1.25 with out issue but ran out if time to bench and see if it's stable, temps are pretty low as well considering I was using an CLC while I wait for my loop parts.

17. ChinoPD

ChinoPD Member

Could you tell me briefly what you did to achieve this please if you don't mind? Or point me the the direction/guide that outlines what I need to do? I am about to pull the trigger on a new rig I think I'll get the 6850 instead of the 6800. Thank you. Oh, also what board and cooler are you using? I'm planning to use an ASUS X99-A II, with HyperX ram, and the Cryorig A80 AIO cooler.

18. Ck21

Ck21 Member

true, but considering thats 49.5w cpu power draw at max all core turbo, i think thats pretty efficient wouldn't you say? :D:leet::thumbup:

stats for 3hour witcher 3 gaming session:

max temp: 29
    avg temp: 28
    max cpu speed: 3399mhz
    avg cpu speed: 2998mhz
    max cpu power: 49.5w
    max DRAM power: 28w
    max Gpu Temp: 50
    max Gpu power: 121w
    max Gpu speed: 1900mhz
    avg Gpu speed: 1860mhz

19. OJR

OJR Member

So are there any good clockers out there? Seems 4.3 is the upper limit with decent volts.

Pretty crappy really :thumbdn:

20. mojos

mojos Member

This build was with the X99 Strix, Corsair Vengance LED 3466C16 kit and a Corsair gtx h110i with Fractal Venturi Fans.

Honestly, I let the rig boot, did my windows install etc, once I knew everything was working fine I jumped back into the bios, used the AI tuner option for 6 core and then turned the volt's down, set my avx at 2 and put in manual timings for my ram. I've been using Asus X99 & X79 boards for a while.

Once it was obvious this was stable I just put the multi up to 44. I am going to see how far it will go but my aim is to stay under 1.3 for daily use because the gains are small and I suspect the heat to ramp up quickly meaning more fan noise.

I gave this guide a quick read also http://edgeup.asus.com/2016/06/17/broadwell-e-overclocking-guide/